Tallinn- Tour or Not?

I read elsewhere that the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is only open on weekends. Is that true? We are scheduled to be in Tallinn on a Thursday next August. Although I understand that photos are prohibited inside, I'd like to visit the inside of the cathedral.

Alexander Nevsky Cathedral is open Monday - Friday (and Sunday) from 8:00am to 7:00pm

It is open Saturday from 8:00am to 8:00pm

You won't be able to wander around the cathedral during services but if you work around the services, you will be able to see the interior.

Services are held: Monday - Friday at 8:30am and 5:00pm; Saturday at 8:30am; Sunday at 9:30am

Tallinn is a very easy place to visit. We even went to one of the famous restaurants, for lunch.

Our problem was the rain. It seems to rain a lot in Tallinn.

BTW This is the place to pick up your chocolates & souvenirs. Things got more expensive, as we cruised to the other places.

So true. Tallinn is easy. Also, we bought the chocolate at the factory store for Kaslov for gifts. After tasting it we were so sorry we didn’t buy more. So good and so reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the suggestion, FloridaTourist. Any other suggestions for gift\souvenir from Tallinn?

We bought the juniper wood trivets, they have a nice smell & come in handy in the kitchen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Thank you for the link, mara93. We'd love to do a food tour but I'm not sure I have a clear picture of what we will be visiting and what is included in the tour. Will appreciate it if you tell more.

I can probably shed some light. Do you want to know food specifics?

We had pumpkin soup & schnapps @ the Peppersack restaurant

Moved on to Gourmet Club Deli & Cafe for Beet Hummus along with fresh bread & a malt like beverage

Stopped at the Old Town Pharmacy where we were given marzipan

Then to Kaerjaan restaurant where we sampled some hors d'oeuvres along with a kefir drink

Moved on to a viewpoint of Old Town where the guide provided traditional estonian chocolate along w/estonian schnapps

Last stop was at the Luscher & Mattiesen winery for apple wine

Keep in mind, throughout the entire time you are walking through Old Town & the guide is providing information on its history & happenings.

When we were first picked up we traveled to the Office of the President of Estonia, not much time but nice building (we didn't enter) We moved on to Regulaarpark gardens & Tallin Song Festival Grounds. We drove back to Old Town & were able to see a bit of Tallin. After the tastings, we had free time to hit the Open Market in the city center.

Great day in Tallin. Hope this helps.

When we toured in Tallinn, there was just a terrific walking tour that one of our posters linked on the site. Everyone, and I mean everyone used it. But for some reason, the link was removed and no one was able to put it back on. It was done by a poster, Lairbear.

That said, a lot of the fun in Tallinn, is following a walking tour, but also, exploring a bit on your own. We just loved to wander about those narrow cobblestone streets, just looking to get away from many of the tourists and find some hidden gem of a shop to browse around in. Another benefit of doing Tallinn on your own is that you can go at your own pace. Maybe you find a spot where you just want to sit and 'chill out; (if they still say or do that :)), or want to stop for a bite at any of the wonderful restaurants, or linger to take some pictures.

Tallinn is really the one city where it is the easiest to do on your own. Yes, you won't get all the names and dates that fill up a guided tour, but, for us, that wasn't necessary. We just wanted to feel the area and experience Tallinn.

I would google walking tours of Tallinn, print one out and get going on your own.

It is a very easy walk from the ship to the old city. In fact, I believe they have a sort of line painted on the street that you follow to get there. There is a few block incline walk to get to the top of the hill, but it is not strenuous, if you walk OK.

Do the tour if you like, but save a few bucks that will go to a tour in St Petersburg, and do it on your own.

As for souvenirs, we found that the nesting dolls were cheaper in Tallinn than in St Petersburg, and many people say Tallinn is the best place to buy Amber. Just shop at reputable places.

(The used to have a sort of bazaar type set up near the ship as you walk back. We found some great little things there, if it is still around.)

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your review MARA93. You made my mouth water )))

We love food tours and I'd love to take the tour from Food Sightseeing but we'll be travelling with an 8-year old. I'm afraid the marzipan and chocolate is not enough to keep her interest and she is not going to enjoy the tour. Do you agree?

Jess

I have an 9 yr old (who was not on this cruise with me) & he would have loved it. There wasn't a wait at any of the restaurants as they are all on a schedule. I don't think he would have enjoyed all the food (he's a bit picky) but he would have enjoyed the different locations & information. My son is a bit of a travel nut, though.

• 2 months later...
Thanks MARA93, I am concerned that my daughter is not going to enjoy the food you tasted. What she would enjoy is a cooking class. Do you happen to know if Food Sightseeing runs cooking classes?

I’m in the same boat, (no pun intended!)....I’ve been looking at menus of restaurants, some have kids menus and even the items on the kids menu would horrify my kids. I’m thinking we may find a supermarket and buy bread and stuff,

I’m in the same boat, (no pun intended!)....I’ve been looking at menus of restaurants, some have kids menus and even the items on the kids menu would horrify my kids. I’m thinking we may find a supermarket and buy bread and stuff,

I ate at Casa Alta, a restaurant with Spanish food--think tapas (lots of cheese, ham, potatoes). It wasn't anything too exotic for kids. They also had a nice terrace with a view. It's on the passageway to the cathedral: Lühike jalg 9

We’re going to be in Tallin in July and are thinking of doing the DIY or the free walking tour with our 3 year old daughter. Those who have done it, do you think it’s doable with a little one?

Also, are the streets ok or too rough to push a stroller around?

We’re going to be in Tallin in July and are thinking of doing the DIY or the free walking tour with our 3 year old daughter. Those who have done it, do you think it’s doable with a little one?

We’re also going in July. There is someone who posts on here (KitKat?) who went with a 3 yo who can probably give advice.

I’m guessing there are a lot of cobblestone streets and stairs there...we went to China when my son was 2 and brought an umbrella stroller...it was pretty rough to get around the palace grounds and such with the stroller, I’m guessing tallinin could be similar. Maybe a toddler carrier would be more practical?

We’re also going in July. There is someone who posts on here (KitKat?) who went with a 3 yo who can probably give advice.

I’m guessing there are a lot of cobblestone streets and stairs there...we went to China when my son was 2 and brought an umbrella stroller...it was pretty rough to get around the palace grounds and such with the stroller, I’m guessing tallinin could be similar. Maybe a toddler carrier would be more practical?

Thank you KittyloverCA, we’ll see if we can get her to walk :)

Yes, there are lots & lots of cobblestones in Tallinn. It is also an uphill climb with narrow stairs. I would think an umbrella stroller would be useless and you'd end up carrying the child.

Thanks for the advice.

I’m from Tallinn (not living now) and in the old town there are side walks not covered with cobble stones where the umbrella stroller is ok to use BUT in the day time hours in summer time the old town’s streets and sidewalks are SO full of tourists/groups that the stroller walk can be challenging. It takes me - an able 30-something - much more time to «cut» through the old town in the summer compared to other times of year lol

Otherwise, the free tour was really fun and interesting for myself to do last year when i did it with my not-estonian boyfriend! Funny guide, definitely deserved a good tip.

All the restaurants in Tallinn according to my experience (i have 2 kids) can make something simple for children and are generally some of the most child friendly i’ve seen anywhere ☀️

I’m from Tallinn (not living now) and in the old town there are side walks not covered with cobble stones where the umbrella stroller is ok to use BUT in the day time hours in summer time the old town’s streets and sidewalks are SO full of tourists/groups that the stroller walk can be challenging. It takes me - an able 30-something - much more time to «cut» through the old town in the summer compared to other times of year lol ��

Otherwise, the free tour was really fun and interesting for myself to do last year when i did it with my not-estonian boyfriend! Funny guide, definitely deserved a good tip.

All the restaurants in Tallinn according to my experience (i have 2 kids) can make something simple for children and are generally some of the most child friendly i’ve seen anywhere ☀️��

Thank you very much LillOslo. Very helpful tips!

I’m now thinking of catching the little train (mentioned by someone in this thread earlier) to the old town and walk down. She should be able to manage that!

Just wondering if we can join the free walking tour in the old town or do they only strat at the port? Do you happen to know?

Thank you very much LillOslo. Very helpful tips!

I’m now thinking of catching the little train (mentioned by someone in this thread earlier) to the old town and walk down. She should be able to manage that!

Just wondering if we can join the free walking tour in the old town or do they only strat at the port? Do you happen to know?

I didn’t actually know the free tour sometimes starts at the port. We took it from the Old town - starting point next to Tourist Info on the Town Hall Square. But the tour can be challenging with a stroller. At quite many points it would be easier to carry the little one, or be prepared to carry the stroller in some bits. Also, it is unfortunatelly a typical fun adult walking tour but not child friendly. So if taking the child one of you is likely going to have to occupy the child a little away from the group while the guide is speaking. Unless you’re lucky and it’s his/her nap time while taking the tour

You definitely can do this on your own. It was easy to get around. However, we got off the ship and instead of walking to old town we got on the hop on hop off bus just to see the rest of the city. Big mistake in our opinion. There really isn't that much to see besides the Old Town and the traffic was slow. Waste of time and money for us. We ended up taking a cab back to the ship instead of even using the hop on hop off bus again. The cab was a flat $10 rate.