Best facewash for dry skin with mild acne

OceanSea

I am 22 years old and I have had acne for about ten years. I have a dermatologist appointment but it will be a while since there is a wait. I have mild acne...not severe but I still get some deeper ones. My skin is also dry. I read that Estee Lauder has a good face wash but I am looking for some recommendations from everyone here!

I have only used drugstore face washes so far (tried Proactiv years ago and it was awful for me).

I am 22 years old and I have had acne for about ten years. I have a dermatologist appointment but it will be a while since there is a wait. I have mild acne...not severe but I still get some deeper ones. My skin is also dry. I read that Estee Lauder has a good face wash but I am looking for some recommendations from everyone here!

I have only used drugstore face washes so far (tried Proactiv years ago and it was awful for me).

I second the use of Cetaphil. My dermatologist recommended it to me about 20 years ago and when my brother went to a dermatologist just a couple of years ago it was recommented to him too. It is an extremely gentle wash. In fact I still use it today. However, it is just a cleanser. The reason why I say that is because Proactiv is formulated to help fight acne. This is just going to help keep your skin clean, there is nothing in it to fight acne.

Guest maddycat

I also use Cetaphil cleanser and Cetaphil daily facial moisturizer spf 15. I have Rosacea and as a result my skin is very sensitive. All Cetaphil products are non-comedogenic (they won't clog your pores). Cetaphil was recommended to me by my dermatologist several years ago. He also recommended using Neutrogena sensitive skin sunblock lotion for when I'm in the sun for an extended period of time.

Edited by maddycat

Another vote for Cetaphil. I was treating my daughters acne well, like acne and those products were irritating and drying her skin even more. The doctor recommend the Cetaphil several years ago and it was amazing how much better her skin was within a week. She washes with that and uses a topical antibiotic. For moisturizer the best that works for her is the Clinique Dramatically Different moisturizing gel, not the lotion.

I use the Clinque moisturizing gel as well, love it and it doesn't irritate my rosacea at all.

I love the Sundari products...I have oily skin, acne prone, sensitive...and when I use their products made for my skin type, my skin is clear...there aren't any chemicals added to deal with acne specifically, but the system, the cleanser, the essential oil (yes I use this even on my oily skin), and the moisturizer really works for me...doesn't cause any sensitivity reactions and actually helps my skin function properly so I don't end up with the breakouts...I've always bought the products online...

I never had problems breaking out in high school, once I hit my late 20's I started breaking out and now I have it under control to an extent (I still get one or 2 occasionally)

What I do is in the shower I use the CVS version of Aveeno Clear Complexion foaming face wash. I don't use a moisturizer anymore. I use Jojoba oil. You put a drop or 2 in the palm of your hand and rub your hands together, use your fingers since there's less on them to rub it into your face. Jojoba oil actually tricks your face into thinking it produced enough oil for the day. Also it is very light so it doesn't clog your pores, it actually flushes them out. When I get home from work, I wash my face with one of the cloths with a make up remover in them and put the jojoba oil on again.

This has helped me sooo much. Last year I was breaking out so bad my chin was raw and bleeding.

Try Cetaphil....my daughter has very sensitive skin...and her dermotologist told her to start using that....it's avail. in any drugstore/wal-mart...

Another vote for cetaphil. I'm actually working in a derm office right now as an elective rotation before I graduate med school.

Cetaphil wash (and lotion) is great stuff. However, nothing OTC will work as well as the stuff you get from the dermatologist. YOu can also look into getting something with Benzyl Peroxide. It is a lotion/gel/cream, and is antibacterial. It can be drying, so you use a small amount. I'm not sure if you can get it over the counter.

When you see the doc, you'll probably get a combo of a benzyl peroxide wash, differin/retin-a product, and possibly some topical/oral antibiotics. The different combos and strengths all depend on how bad your acne is. Accutane is the be-all end-all of acne treatment, but it is teratogenic, and so tightly regulated. We try not to give it to young women. You have to have 2 forms of bc, come in for monthly blood draws, but nothing works better!

Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I use a Kroger version of Cetaphil and I use Cetaphil lotion. Maybe I'll try the real version of the face wash.

I have used benzyl peroxide and it has irritated my skin. I still use it for really bad pimples.

My acne isn't nearly bad enough to warrant accutane. I get maybe 15 pimples a month. I don't know how bad my acne would have to be to convince me to take accutane because I do not want to go on a hormonal birth control plus all of the side effects that accutane has.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I use a Kroger version of Cetaphil and I use Cetaphil lotion. Maybe I'll try the real version of the face wash.

I have used benzyl peroxide and it has irritated my skin. I still use it for really bad pimples.

My acne isn't nearly bad enough to warrant accutane. I get maybe 15 pimples a month. I don't know how bad my acne would have to be to convince me to take accutane because I do not want to go on a hormonal birth control plus all of the side effects that accutane has.

Thanks again!

without seeing you, but just from your description, I doubt you'd need accutane. If benzyl peroxide is too drying, you may have a rough time with prescription creams, as Differen, benzyl, and all the retinoids are drying. You can get different strengths, and some might not affect you as bad as the benzyl peroxide. Also some of the antibiotics like clindamycin ointment, or oral doxycyline may work well for you. Ask your doc.

Why do you think you have dry skin? Is it because you have dry flaky patches or something else? There are several symptoms of oily skin that cause many people to believe their skin is dry. Do you wear a lot of makeup to cover the acne? It has been my experience,and I have worked in the cosmetic industry for almost 40 years, that many water activated washes simply don't remove all of the makeup completely and the residue remains in the pores and aggravates acne. A good test to see how effectively you cleanser is working is to use as usual and then take a cotton ball soaked in toner and see what happens. If the cotton ball remains white, then great, but if traces of makeup come off then your cleanser is not removing everything. Seeing a dermatologist is the best move you can make.

If I were you i would go to a Macy's or somewhere that sells Clinique and buy their 3 step face cleanser system. This is what I use and it has a soap, a cleanser, and a lotion. I LOVE it because I also have dry but oily skin at the same time. They have a little questionnaire thing they have you fill out about your skin that puts you in the right set. They have 3 different kinds and this is how you figure out what one of the 3 to get.

Be very careful with Clinique three step.

Some of the toners have acetone and alcohol in them, which can burn your skin and make your skin drier, but your breakouts worse.

The regular Dramatically Different Lotion has both mineral oil and petrolatum; two things that are terribly comedogenic.

Cetaphil gets my vote as well.

One very important thing I see no one has mentioned is this, something my dermatologist told me 10 years ago: Change your pillow case every morning, wash your face with clean hands only, no wash cloths, and pat your face dry with cheap, clean white washcloths and never re-use towels or wash cloths on your face, and never re-use one that's been hanging in the bathroom on your face. I buy cheap bundles of white Walmart washclothes on sale and use them to pat my face dry.

Then I use Neutrogena oil-free acne wash, followed by Acne-free 3 step clear skin treatment (which is benzoyl peroxide) from Walmart and a regular moisturizer. I used to use an oil-free moisturizer as well, but as I've gotten older, it works for me to use moisturizer with some oils in it The benzoyl peroxide did dry out my skin at first, even made rough, reddened patches for the first 6 weeks, but after that my skin toughened up, I guess, and now it is normal, without pimples and acne.

Changing my pillow case daily is the key to keeping a breakout-free face for me.

One very important thing I see no one has mentioned is this, something my dermatologist told me 10 years ago: Change your pillow case every morning, wash your face with clean hands only, no wash cloths, and pat your face dry with cheap, clean white washcloths and never re-use towels or wash cloths on your face, and never re-use one that's been hanging in the bathroom on your face. I buy cheap bundles of white Walmart washclothes on sale and use them to pat my face dry.

Then I use Neutrogena oil-free acne wash, followed by Acne-free 3 step clear skin treatment (which is benzoyl peroxide) from Walmart and a regular moisturizer. I used to use an oil-free moisturizer as well, but as I've gotten older, it works for me to use moisturizer with some oils in it The benzoyl peroxide did dry out my skin at first, even made rough, reddened patches for the first 6 weeks, but after that my skin toughened up, I guess, and now it is normal, without pimples and acne.

Changing my pillow case daily is the key to keeping a breakout-free face for me.

On this note...I was told to use wash cloths that were made for babies for your face, as these would be the least irritating to sensitive skin.

Why do you think you have dry skin? Is it because you have dry flaky patches or something else? There are several symptoms of oily skin that cause many people to believe their skin is dry. Do you wear a lot of makeup to cover the acne? It has been my experience,and I have worked in the cosmetic industry for almost 40 years, that many water activated washes simply don't remove all of the makeup completely and the residue remains in the pores and aggravates acne. A good test to see how effectively you cleanser is working is to use as usual and then take a cotton ball soaked in toner and see what happens. If the cotton ball remains white, then great, but if traces of makeup come off then your cleanser is not removing everything. Seeing a dermatologist is the best move you can make.

My skin is tight after washing and there are dry patches if I do not moisturize. It also looks flaky in those areas even after moisturizing. I rarely wear any facial makeup any more.

Since you're past 20 and are still having trouble with acne, I'm glad that you've made a dermatologist appointment. You could poke around with this-and-that drugstore item for years without success.

I started having serious skin problems just after I turned 40 (may be perimenapause related -- don't know), and I tried all sorts of things -- some inexpensive, some expensive. Some made it worse, none worked.

Finally I went to the doctor, and he "fixed" my skin in two months. My only regret is that I didn't do it earlier.

One thing he told me is that as we age (and you're not in my category yet, being only half my age -- don't mean to imply that at all!) our skin becomes thinner and more sensitive. He told me to start using VaniCream cleanser, moisturizer, and sunscreen. They're inexpensive, but not so easy to find. I can get them from my Target pharmacy; they're non-prescription, but they keep them behind the counter -- you have to know to ask for them.

I have tried just about everything you can think of both by prescription and over the counter. I recently went organic and have noticed a marked difference. I love, love , love Bubble and Bee organics line of products and the cucumber facial cleanser for oily/acneic skin has been worked wonders for my skin!:D

I love Mario Badescu products. I have rosacea and was on an antibiotic and metrogel (that made my face burn when I applied it). I heard someone talking about Mario Badescu products for rosacea and I thought what do I have to loose. At the time the only place in my area that sold it was a specialty apothecary. I purchased it and haven't used prescription treatments in over 3 years. My daughter uses the products for acne and rarely has a flare up. Check out their website. The products have great reviews.