Off topic from fashion.......

Lois R

Hi Bonnie:)...yes, I am very thankful......no symptoms/side affects from

the meds either.

Hawaii is on my list....have never done that cruise before. Hope you

have a great time. And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY...40 years is awesome:)

I am going to have the opportunity to sail WINDSTAR.....have you ever

looked at their ships? Some are motor yachts and some are sailing ships.

Last year I took my first River Cruise and now I looking at this one....

stepping outside the box from "mainstream"......;).....never thought I

would be doing it......long story of how it is possible but suffice to say

I haven't booked yet but seriously looking at their itineraries to Europe.:)

Hi Bonnie:)...yes, I am very thankful......no symptoms/side affects from

the meds either.

Hawaii is on my list....have never done that cruise before. Hope you

have a great time. And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY...40 years is awesome:)

I am going to have the opportunity to sail WINDSTAR.....have you ever

looked at their ships? Some are motor yachts and some are sailing ships.

Last year I took my first River Cruise and now I looking at this one....

stepping outside the box from "mainstream"......;).....never thought I

would be doing it......long story of how it is possible but suffice to say

I haven't booked yet but seriously looking at their itineraries to Europe.:)

No Lois, I have not looked into doing a WINDSTAR cruise as of yet. But, I have seen their ships in various ports and I think they are visually quite beautiful to look at! I can only imagine that it would be a very special experience for sure! I will look forward to finding out what you think! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bonnie, last week I went to my regular GP for "regular blood work"

(not part of the cancer stuff)......this was lipids, glucose, cholesterol, etc...

well, today he called me to come back and see him......and guess what,

in between when I started the cancer meds (5 months ago) my sugar was

NORMAL....not even close to being high.....well, now? It has spiked up to

DIABETES:mad::(....he seems to think it may be side effects from the

cancer meds.....because it was in such a good state before I started taking

them. So tomorrow I have to call my Hematologist....need to find out if

these meds can cause this to happen. The GP already called in meds to

my pharmacy for the diabetes. Will start them tomorrow but if it is the

cancer meds....hoping we can find another one that does the same thing

without the sugar side effects......:eek:...oh, AND my Cholesterol is high

as well........geeezzz....

Hi Bonnie, last week I went to my regular GP for "regular blood work"

(not part of the cancer stuff)......this was lipids, glucose, cholesterol, etc...

well, today he called me to come back and see him......and guess what,

in between when I started the cancer meds (5 months ago) my sugar was

NORMAL....not even close to being high.....well, now? It has spiked up to

DIABETES:mad::(....he seems to think it may be side effects from the

cancer meds.....because it was in such a good state before I started taking

them. So tomorrow I have to call my Hematologist....need to find out if

these meds can cause this to happen. The GP already called in meds to

my pharmacy for the diabetes. Will start them tomorrow but if it is the

cancer meds....hoping we can find another one that does the same thing

without the sugar side effects......:eek:...oh, AND my Cholesterol is high

as well........geeezzz....

Oh dear! So sorry to hear this Lois! The surprises just keep on coming it seems! Hang in there though! Just keep addressing the issues as you find them! The good news is that you ARE diligent in staying on top of these health concerns and not ignoring them. You are catching things early so you can manage them! Stay strong and keep on cruising girlfriend! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Lois! I am sorry to hear that you have had a Diabetes diagnosis.

There are some meds that do cause blood sugar to go high.

As a Type 2, may I suggest that you tweak your diet. Go to a low carb diet. Eliminate rice, bread, pasta, noodles and white potatoes. Fruit has carbs but it is a natural sugar. Some diabetics cannot tolerate any fruit. I decided that since it was a natural food I would continue to eat the fruits I like.

Also, get a meter and strips to monitor your blood sugar at home. You can tell if the meds and diet are working. Wal-Mart sells a cheap meter and cheap strips, Re-Lion Prime.

I wish you well and hope the blood sugar sorts itself out and that your cancer is eliminated.

Happy Cruising!

P.S. There is a very informative forum, diabetesforums dot com that provides support and information. Check it out.

Hi, Lois! I am sorry to hear that you have had a Diabetes diagnosis.

There are some meds that do cause blood sugar to go high.

As a Type 2, may I suggest that you tweak your diet. Go to a low carb diet. Eliminate rice, bread, pasta, noodles and white potatoes. Fruit has carbs but it is a natural sugar. Some diabetics cannot tolerate any fruit. I decided that since it was a natural food I would continue to eat the fruits I like.

Also, get a meter and strips to monitor your blood sugar at home. You can tell if the meds and diet are working. Wal-Mart sells a cheap meter and cheap strips, Re-Lion Prime.

I wish you well and hope the blood sugar sorts itself out and that your cancer is eliminated.

Happy Cruising!

P.S. There is a very informative forum, diabetesforums dot com that provides support and information. Check it out.

Hi Jane, I got a meter already......the Dr prescribed it when I got my new meds.......and I know it is all about what you eat....well, this came on "all of a sudden" so changing my eating habits overnight is not an easy thing to do:eek:......to stop all at once?

I am trying to cut back but to cut it all out at one time? Virtually impossible (for me anyway).

But thank you for the post........I do appreciate it:)

Hi Jane, I got a meter already......the Dr prescribed it when I got my new meds.......and I know it is all about what you eat....well, this came on "all of a sudden" so changing my eating habits overnight is not an easy thing to do:eek:......to stop all at once?

I am trying to cut back but to cut it all out at one time? Virtually impossible (for me anyway).

But thank you for the post........I do appreciate it:)

Yes, Lois, you are so right. And, if you are not really diabetic, but brought on by meds, any change in diet will be helpful. Baby steps. Eating protein and good fats help to curb the hunger pangs. Also, exercise is important. Even just a walk around the block can be helpful. Hopefully, it is a temporary issue and when you stop the cancer meds, everything will be back to normal.

Good luck.

Yes, Lois, you are so right. And, if you are not really diabetic, but brought on by meds, any change in diet will be helpful. Baby steps. Eating protein and good fats help to curb the hunger pangs. Also, exercise is important. Even just a walk around the block can be helpful. Hopefully, it is a temporary issue and when you stop the cancer meds, everything will be back to normal.

Good luck.

Hi Jane, a couple of things.......the cancer meds are not the cause of my sugar going up.......I spoke to my Hematologist and they do not cause this........and as for stopping the cancer meds? That is never happening. I have to take them for the rest of my life.

Excuse my butting in on the thread :). Lois, are you taking dexamethasone or some other steroid along w/ your chemo/cancer meds? That can cause your blood glucose to shoot up. When my mother was doing treatment for multiple myeloma (another blood/bone marrow cancer), she took dex w/ her Revlimid, and she had that problem for awhile. If you are taking the steroid, sometimes cutting back on the dosage helps w/ the blood glucose issue.

Hi girls,:)I have been on a cruise and just returned home today. I am not on any type of steroids.......I am taking

Metformin now for sugar:rolleyes:....and the generic of Lipitor for high Cholesterol..........those 2 things are new

for me:rolleyes:...getting old totally sucks.....

Hi girls,:)I have been on a cruise and just returned home today. I am not on any type of steroids.......I am taking

Metformin now for sugar:rolleyes:....and the generic of Lipitor for high Cholesterol..........those 2 things are new

for me:rolleyes:...getting old totally sucks.....

Hi Lois, welcome back from your cruise :) Sorry to hear about the blood sugar & cholesterol issues... hopefully Dr.'s can figure out what's going on sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, Windstar cruises look amazing! Would love to hear about what you up booking.

Debbie

Hi Lois, welcome back from your cruise :) Sorry to hear about the blood sugar & cholesterol issues... hopefully Dr.'s can figure out what's going on sooner rather than later.

On the other hand, Windstar cruises look amazing! Would love to hear about what you up booking.

Debbie

Hi Debbie:)...nice to see you again.

I think Windstar looks pretty cool too:D.....I haven't booked anything yet......will keep you posted.

Oh....this is some fun news (that is always good)..........I had new bathroom countertops installed and I LOVE them:) and this weekend I am having new lights installed (above the vanity).......my bathroom is really looking pretty:D

Oh....this is some fun news (that is always good)..........I had new bathroom countertops installed and I LOVE them:) and this weekend I am having new lights installed (above the vanity).......my bathroom is really looking pretty:D

It's always nice when something is updated/renewed. Our master bath definitely needs remodeling. We have been putting it off and hopefully will get around to it later this year. I am glad you are liking your countertops and lights.

Sorry to hear about the additional problems you are having. Sometimes when one thing happens it just seems like it doesn't stop. I am sure you will continue to work thru everything and succeed. Windstar looks like it would be a fabulous cruise. Stay well and happy cruising.

Renee

Good morning:)......got my vanity lights installed yesterday:D....WOW.....it really looks like a new bathroom!

As for my cruise........I am looking at some other choices....I always say "Google is your friend":D....I decided to

google "Luxury lines".....and found a couple of cruises that are in the same price range as Windstar but are

regular (small) size ships...it is exciting looking for things that were always out of range but now I am able to

look at them:).......one on Silverseas and one on Crystal.......I am still researching.:)

Good morning, Hi Sharon:)

Hope all of you are having a good weekend.

Well, I booked my first "luxury cruise" and I am still pinching msyelf:eek:......LOL...I am sailing on Silverseas in August from

Barcelona to Rome. It is my first time visiting the places on this itinerary and the cruiseline had a special on airfare offering

upgrading to Business class for 500.00 each way.....so I am really splurging on both ways........:D

I am now researching hotels in Barcelona and omg.....there are so many to choose from. I am leaning towards 2 of them but have some time to weigh my options and keep finding other properties that look good.

Anyone have input on Barcelona hotels?:)

Good morning, Hi Sharon:)

Hope all of you are having a good weekend.

Well, I booked my first "luxury cruise" and I am still pinching msyelf:eek:......LOL...I am sailing on Silverseas in August from

Barcelona to Rome. It is my first time visiting the places on this itinerary and the cruiseline had a special on airfare offering

upgrading to Business class for 500.00 each way.....so I am really splurging on both ways........:D

I am now researching hotels in Barcelona and omg.....there are so many to choose from. I am leaning towards 2 of them but have some time to weigh my options and keep finding other properties that look good.

Anyone have input on Barcelona hotels?:)

Hi, Lois!

What fun for you!! I have booked the Serhs del Port for our upcoming cruise that leaves from Barcelona. Not luxury, but it gets good reviews and the breakfast buffet is supposed to be very good. It is also within walking distance of the Statue of Columbus where the port shuttle bus picks up. If you don't have too much/heavy luggage it's about 1.5 blocks. Also, Las Ramblas is about a block-ish away.

Enjoy!

Hi, Lois!

What fun for you!! I have booked the Serhs del Port for our upcoming cruise that leaves from Barcelona. Not luxury, but it gets good reviews and the breakfast buffet is supposed to be very good. It is also within walking distance of the Statue of Columbus where the port shuttle bus picks up. If you don't have too much/heavy luggage it's about 1.5 blocks. Also, Las Ramblas is about a block-ish away.

Enjoy!

Hi Peggy, thanks for the suggestion. I will look at it on Trip Advisor. 1.5 blocks from where to where? Oh...for a shuttle to

the ship? I will probably take a cab from wherever I am staying. At first I thought you had typed 15 blocks........I thought

no way I am walking with luggage that far LOL..........

Hi Lois, I'm sorry about your (multiple) diagnoses but glad to hear that you are doing well! Make sure you see a nutritionist about the diabetes. It is very important to learn which foods contain sugars and how/when you can still eat them. You don't have to cut everything out, you just have to balance it right (combining your carbs with protein for example). I have a very restrictive diet because of an auto-immune disorder and I know how hard it is but they can help make it easier on you!

Hi Lois, I'm sorry about your (multiple) diagnoses but glad to hear that you are doing well! Make sure you see a nutritionist about the diabetes. It is very important to learn which foods contain sugars and how/when you can still eat them. You don't have to cut everything out, you just have to balance it right (combining your carbs with protein for example). I have a very restrictive diet because of an auto-immune disorder and I know how hard it is but they can help make it easier on you!

Thank you:)...........I will be contacting someone this week.