List your camera's

c230k

I ended up taking the Pentax K-50 with the 18-135mm lens and the Oly TG-4 on the Greek Islands cruise and really got some great pictures. I left the 55-300mm home and didn't really miss it. I'm doing the Venice to Barcelona cruise at the end of Sept. and I've thought about getting a wider angle lens but I just hate changing lenses and risk getting dust on the sensor so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Most of my shots where at or near 18mm on the Greek cruise which included several days in Rome before the cruise started.

* sorry I got busy with work.

Canon T3i

18-135 FE Lens

I enjoy landscape and low light photography. Looking to get an interverometer and try my hand at DSLR timelapse sailing out of Manhattan Wednesday on Norwegian Gem. I don't own the right post editing software and post production software to pull it off, looks like I need Adobe lightroom and LrTimelapse . Any ideas? I have had success with merging images and editing with software that came from Canon. Lots of tutorials on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Been almost a year, any updates or recommendations to add to our collection of camera gear.

Tom :cool:

Don't remember what I did and didn't have when I last posted...

But some recent updates and recommendations...

For me, it has finally reached the point where a phone can replace a compact camera. My iphone 7 is really quite capable, and has replaced any thought of carrying a compact camera.

But for most of my photography, I still have Nikon D750 and Sony A6300....

New gear recommendations:

I've gotten 2 Tamron primes for the Nikon D750. They are SUPERB. Both the 45/1.8 and 85/1.8 --- Especially the 85mm has breathtaking IQ. They are both reasonably priced. And they both have image stabilization. The Sigma ART lenses may have a very slight edge in IQ, but they are bigger, heavier, more expensive, and lack stabilization. So huge thumbs up to the Tamron SP primes.

Not sure if I have the Sony A6300 as of my last postings.... It is a fantastic travel camera. I can carry the A6300, with 10-18/4 (very very good lens), 16-70/4 (mediocre lens especially for the price but serviceable), plus 2-3 prime lenses and a flash, all in a mid-sized camera bag, without breaking my back. Unfortunately, I miss the full frame IQ, so I end up still lugging my D750 and lenses, but at least I'll leave it in the hotel room/cabin occasionally.

Finally, I don't have it yet.. but I have pre-ordered the Irix 11mm -- Looking forward to really pushing ultra ultra wide boundaries.

I added an Olympus EM-1 Mark 2 to my camera collection. When I tried the 60 fps silent mode, I was blown away. After I reduce this rate down a lot, my in-flight wildlife photos should provide a higher number of great image captures. Bursts of 18 fps during youth basketball games showed that many shots are taken with their eyes shut! The larger sensor makes a difference. Noise is significantly reduced at raised ISO settings.

One downside is the larger battery size that doesn't let me use my smaller belt-clip battery pouches.

I ended up taking the Pentax K-50 with the 18-135mm lens and the Oly TG-4 on the Greek Islands cruise and really got some great pictures. I left the 55-300mm home and didn't really miss it. I'm doing the Venice to Barcelona cruise at the end of Sept. and I've thought about getting a wider angle lens but I just hate changing lenses and risk getting dust on the sensor so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Most of my shots where at or near 18mm on the Greek cruise which included several days in Rome before the cruise started.

The Pentax DA12-24mm is a very nice lens. If you find yourself mostly shooting wide and you are thinking wider, that would be a very good lens. The longer end, 24mm, is comparable to a 36mm lens on a full frame, a focal length which was considered a good alternative to the "standard" 50mm "normal" lens back in the film days.

Stan

Thought it would be interesting to know what camera's you use. People on this forum can then direct their questions to you on a certain camera. The information I have received on this forum have been great and helped me in my photography.

I have

Sony NEX-7

Sony NEX-5N

Nikon D5100

Panasonic DMC-ZS7

Canon 7DII

Canon 7D

White Lenses

16-35 2.8II

24-70 2.8II

70-200 2.8II

100-400II

Black Lenses

15-85

18-135 STM

10-22

70-300

Point &Shoot

Canon SX-50

Going on Alaska 6 day land, 7 day cruise in May. Trying to decide which lenses to pack with the 7D bodies....Also taking my Manfrotto travel Tripod & Monopod, both with Kirk Ball heads....

I added an Olympus EM-1 Mark 2 to my camera collection. When I tried the 60 fps silent mode, I was blown away. After I reduce this rate down a lot, my in-flight wildlife photos should provide a higher number of great image captures. Bursts of 18 fps during youth basketball games showed that many shots are taken with their eyes shut! The larger sensor makes a difference. Noise is significantly reduced at raised ISO settings.

One downside is the larger battery size that doesn't let me use my smaller belt-clip battery pouches.

Current Cameras:

D3s

Nikon J1

Lenses: Made the move to all Nikon

10-30 F3.5 CX

30-110 F3.8 CX

17-35 F2.8 FX

24-70 F2.8 FX

24-120 F4 FX

70-200 F2.8 VRII FX

50 1.8D

200 F2

TCE 14

Flashes: SB900x2, SB600x3

P&S: too many to remember at the moment but as brands go Fuji, Panasonic, Canon, Pentax, Kodak, Nikon

Once owned :o

Cameras: D40, D5000, D5100, D300, D700

Nikon Lense: 16-85, 18-55, 28-70, 18-200, 18-105,70-300, 70-200 2.8 VRI, 35 1.8, 28-105, 28-200

Tamron Lense: 17-35, 28-75 both versions, 28-300

CL is your friend if you are a gearhead. All bodies not owned except the D700 were sold on CL as were all the lenses not now owned. Lense owned bought on CL: 200F2, 50 1.8, 24-70, 17-35, TCE14

If you are feeling the want for a low light prime the 35 1.8 is the one to consider.

Or if a portrait lense the 85 1.8 G

Canon 5D MKII

Canon 40D (x2)

Canon Rebel XTI

Canon Rebel XT

Lenses:

70-200 4.0L (used to have the 2.8L but it was too heavy)

28-75 2.8L

24-105 4.0

85mm

135mm

18-55 kit

50mm (nifty fifty)

70-300 kit

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Going on Alaska 6 day land, 7 day cruise in May. Trying to decide which lenses to pack with the 7D bodies....Also taking my Manfrotto travel Tripod & Monopod, both with Kirk Ball heads....Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I know nothing about Canon systems. But here is what I did on my way to Alaska last summer... At the time I had a Pentax K-3 (APS-C sensor with a 1.5x crop factor), a Pentax K-1 (full frame), and a Pentax 645Z (medium format, 0.8x crop factor for equivalence to the 35mm "standard"). And a bucket full of lenses for each. To help me think about which to take and then which subset of those I would actually have with me on any given field trip, I laid out a spreadsheet showing the horizontal field of view of various lenses on the 3 different bodies. A one page pdf is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qn2tzf43nh77n1q/Lens%20FOV%20Comparison.pdf?dl=0

Our trip started with a b2b: Seward-Vancouver-Seward. After the cruise portion we were 2 weeks in Anchorage, Katmai, Kenai, and Denali. We were in and out of Anchorage, stayed in the same B&B 4 different times for a total of 6 nights, and essentially used that as our base camp. So for the cruise portion I left my tripod (Manfroto with Kirk head) along with my 400mm lens and my medium format gear in storage at the B&B. I considered taking my monopod (with Kirk head) but left it home and never regretted that decision.

By the way, I have since sold all of the APS-C gear and most of the medium format (one lens still to sell) and am happily living with the K-1 full frame.

Stan

• 3 months later...
Thought it would be interesting to know what camera's you use. People on this forum can then direct their questions to you on a certain camera. The information I have received on this forum have been great and helped me in my photography.

I have

Sony NEX-7

Sony NEX-5N

Nikon D5100

Panasonic DMC-ZS7

Nikon D5600 :hearteyes: I use a better camera, prefer a camera

nikon-d5600-iso.jpgnikon-d5600-iso-8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

2x Canon T5i

Canon 80d

70-200 mm EF L

10-22 mm

500 mm nightstick

18-55 and 75-300 kit lenses

Gimbal mount for video

The white lens is new. I bought it for production stills. Photographing musical theater and bands is the highlight of my cruises.

Wow - where are all the Fuji shooters?

Fuji xt2 (18-55, 60macro, 50-230)

Nikon 7100 (too many to list but all being sold soon since I'm in love with my new Fuji)

That is a really good question. I know a whole slew of photographers and not one of them shoots Fuji.

hi to all

i feel a bit embaressed putting my camera on here, when you all have a lot more than i. i hope i have not misread something. anyhow i have a SONY H400 CYBOR SHOT 63X ZOOM I am only a amateur but i do enjoy it, but also i have a lot to learn.:o

hi to all

i feel a bit embaressed putting my camera on here, when you all have a lot more than i. i hope i have not misread something. anyhow i have a SONY H400 CYBOR SHOT 63X ZOOM I am only a amateur but i do enjoy it, but also i have a lot to learn.:o

The best camera is the one you'll use and the best photos are the ones you like!

I've taken a whole lot of pictures with everything from a Kodak disposable to a DSLR and the amount of enjoyment wasn't related to the camera.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Canon G12

Canon 60d

A bag full of lenses, but will usually only take two or three on a cruise.

A number of speedlites and strobes, used in my real estate photography business.

Agree with previous post that the equipment is far less important than the technique and vision.