Tallinn: which tower to climb (besides St. Olav's Church)?

When we're in Tallinn, I'd like to climb at least one of the towers. However, there will be two potential complications...

Complication #1: We will be in Tallinn with 5 cruise ships and 9,000+ passengers. I expect St. Olav's Church to be insanely crowded. I intend to check later in the day when it might be less of a mess, but I have to plan for it to be too crowded for me to want to deal with it.

Complication #2: Fat Margaret Tower will be closed for renovations.

I would like to climb a tower (or more than one, if my wife is willing to indulge me) which has good views for photographs. For example, it looks like Tall Hermann might have good views of Alexander Nevsky Cathedral. I'd like one that won't be so crowded as to suck the enjoyment from the experience. And if the entrance to the tower is hard to find (i.e. hidden in a maze of twisty passages, all alike), I would appreciate tips on how to find it more easily.

Does anyone have any recommendations for which tower(s) I should climb?

Interested to hear opinions on this....still working on a plan for Tallin

Since you're in the same position I am, I'll keep you posted on my further research.

Tall Hermann (a/k/a Pikk Hermann) appears to only be accessible on a tour of Toompea Castle. They offer a free English-language tour at 11am on Fridays (and we won't be there on a Friday). Since this doesn't fit in with the DIY way I'm approaching Tallinn, that rules it out for me.

Unless I find additional information, my current options are the Cathedral of St. Mary the Virgin and Town Hall. Each costs €5 (or free if you're buying a Tallinn Card). Based on the pictures people have posted to Tripadvisor, the views from both towers appear to be good.

how do you know that you will be in Tallin with 5 other ships? I know this is not your question but with our cruise I am realizing that cities have multiple port sites and I wondering at which site we will port/ dock. I did not consider the number of ships in port. for tallin you raise a very good point about the number of people in port. can someone tell me how one figures out where your ship will dock when in port.

how do you know that you will be in Tallin with 5 other ships?

Click here.

I am realizing that cities have multiple port sites and I wondering at which site we will port/ dock. I did not consider the number of ships in port. for tallin you raise a very good point about the number of people in port. can someone tell me how one figures out where your ship will dock when in port.

Each city's port authority has their own website, and that will provide the most detailed information. Unlike Tallinn, most will provide information about which berth/quay the ship will dock in. I intend to check back closer to the time of our cruise to ensure that the berths, etc. remain the same.

But it's not simple to find. You'll have to track down the information for each port you'll visit. Each port has their own way of presenting the information.