All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

These are my sandals. Some reviewers had issue with where the buckle would rest on their ankle area...I don't though, so it's a test out and see if it bothers you. These are so very comfortable. Great walking sandal...I really appreciate the way the wide straps embrace my feet.

https://www.sofftshoe.com/Womens/All-Styles/Mirabelle/Luggage/1288705&refURL=GoogleBase?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=190135151903&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhJzgo_XI1QIVAw5pCh2xegT8EAQYASABEgJkOPD_BwE

Melody, we have hail from time to time. As it turns out, you can have a major hail storm and a mile away, there may be nothing. About 4 years ago, I left work early to pick up my dog from the vet. I could see some pretty ominous looking clouds in my rearview mirror. We got home just in time to get in the house, and the storm hit. long story short, $2500.00 of damage to my car. That was after I paid my insurance deductible!

Margaret, I love skorts. I have been wearing the ones from Eddie Bauer for a long time now. When I shrunk out of one, I would replace it in a smaller size. I love them that much! I have found that they change the style a little from year to year, but they are generally very much the same. My favorites are my current navy and olive ones. They are a perfect length and fit, a lot like the one you posted the link for. They go on my cruises and I wear them all summer too. The Travex fabric is really great and quick drying, and the one you posted looks very similar fabric wise.

Anita, I have to look up those rings.

I've always worn my rings on a cruise. I guess I don't think about it because I don't take them off. I feel kind of naked without them, lol.

I am feeling better, just not great. I went to the doctor, who said it was likely a virus that was working it's way out of my system. He didn't prescribe anything, but he took blood work because I did have a bug bite I didn't pay close attention to the week before. It was on my scalp and we have more than our share of ticks around here, and Lyme Disease to go with it. It's good that he is being cautious, but I seem to be bouncing back pretty well.

I am so intrigued when you discuss musicals, Anita. I can still hear some, and I used to be able to hear things like that very well. Does it sound strange when I say I can hear it in my head when you describe it? I love that.

As to music I can hear with my hearing aid, have any of you ever watched Aerial America on National Geographic? It is very, very interesting, and the music is incredible. They have a lot of pauses in the talking where there is just music, and I often adjust the volume when the house is quiet so that I can hear it better.

Anita, I think that was a cute outfit to wear! I think that the dress is very versatile, in that it can be worn like a tunic. I'm curious - what would you call the color? It looks very earthy, and I want to call it adobe. But I know that I have seen adobe brick in a number of colors, so that could be misleading. I mention it because it reminds me of one of the colors in the new dress I have.

Pacruise, I forgot to mention when we were talking about that print dress that there is a darker color in there similar to burgundy. It's a color that I struggle with, because the slightest change in lighting can take it from cool to warm, you know? But there some of that in the dress, and it's a nice warm shade. I just love the colors in it.

I feel really good about my summer wardrobe at the moment. As to casual wear, I would like to get a pair of "smart" casual sandals. Not walking sandals or flip flops, something with a microwedge or something like that, that would look nice with things, yet don't have a heel. I used to have a pair I just loved like that, and they broke.

Like always, I'm on the lookout for suits for work, or dress pants in general in good colors. I'm still struggling a lot with that. I found teal pants at Loft Outlet that I tried on, but they were ankle pants and somewhat of a slim fit. Our dress code says you can wear them if they are part of a matching suit, but this wasn't a suit. I also find too that people don't fuss too much if you see a back office person wear something like this, but you still get looks if you are more in view. Isn't that weird? Banking is pretty stodgy.

Well, the hail hit was definitely worse than we thought. We’re looking at over $25K of damage, sigh. We’ll be out about $2.5 to $5K in hail deductibles

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have black in the sandals too. The ones with the shimmer. I like that Platino too but I think it might be too light for me. I got gold sandals once, thinking that they would be a great neutral, but I didn't wear them much because I always preferred to wear a more tan color rather than the lighter golden color. Somehow that lighter color looked odd to me with most of my outfits. I gave them to Mom and she wore them out, she wore them so much.

I've got my eye on the Mulberry color which is on sale...thinking that it looks more bronze? And bronze is what I wanted those gold to be for me. I think the gold would be good for you though...especially with all the bright colors you wear.

Our rings came a day early! These are Enzo rings. We ordered the Yeti style before Mother's Day with a 20% off sale:

https://ensorings.com/legends-collection/

9_EAD90_BC_037_C_4_D38_AFD4_CB03600129_FB.jpg

btw...I don't love the way my hand looks in this photo! I don't know why it looks so weird! Anyway...Love the rings. It doesn't even feel like I'm wearing a ring. Laurie...I rarely wear my wedding ring...or any jewelry, for that matter, on a regular basis because I'm usually using my hands to do things around the house and I don't wear my ring when I do dishes or cleaning or many other things (packing, unpacking, rearranging furniture;)). I don't wear it to sleep or to shower. To work out or when we travel to places where we would be active. DH is the same way, so we're both very excited that we're going to be married on our Alaska cruise! (LOL...we call it being married when we actually put our rings on when go "out")

I love that you can hear in your head from my descriptions! I like writing and I count that a great compliment, what you said. I'll look up that show.

It sounds like you feel like you've turned a corner and are on the upswing...even if it's a slight upswing. Being ill and feeling less than normal is not fun at all.

Melody, that's shocking. We have hail sometimes, but usually no bigger than a grape.

Laurie, I hope you're feeling better. We had that going around campus earlier in the month, and people were out for at least a week. I was washing hands like crazy. Like you, skorts have become a mainstay of my summer wardrobe. They are great in the city for a bit more polished look than shorts, which I mostly only wear to the gym or around the house. At the lake I throw on a skort when we go see friends or to a casual restaurant. Very versatile. I have khaki, blue, and olive green. The khaki ones get the most wear.

I feel naked without my rings on now. I'm planning to buy something cheap to wear to Africa because I will leave my rings at home. When we were engaged, DH said he didn't want to wear a ring (he only ever wore a watch). So I put my engagement ring away and said I wouldn't wear one either... in fact it made me nervous to wear it on the subway etc. It was the 80s in NY, after all, when daylight muggings were fairly common. I went back to wearing my class ring. Well, he decided he didn't like that at all. About a month before the wedding we ended up shopping for rings for both of us.

I didn't change my name when we married, either, so I was already pushing the envelope with both our families. And then no kids. OMG. In my home town, nobody did those things. You'd think we were trying to overthrow society or something. None of that is odd any more. I haven't been asked to explain why our names are different in years.

Anita, I loved your opera look. My niece is selling leggings so I bought a few, then realized I don't have any tops that go with them. I picked up a couple tunic-length tshirts, and I've been wearing them a lot at the lake. She sells Legging Army:

https://leggingarmy.com/womens-leggings-one-size-3-14/

You need to scroll down to see the patterns. I have Missing Piece and Sixth Sense, and another that looks like nebulae in space that has a lot of EARTH purple. I have my eye on Hennaphant and Underwater Darkness. They are very soft. DH pets me like a cat when I wear them. :) I am at the upper end of their One Size. I almost bought Plus but often when things are too big for me it's because they are baggy in the butt and thighs. Not a good look for leggings. :)

Now that the weather is warmer I've been wearing more tshirts. I couldn't figure out where some of them had gone. Then I realized we moved back to our apartment in September and I had not moved a lot of them back from the lake. :confused: Sure enough, I found a pile in my dresser there.

The skort is really cute, but a little short for my preference (at least until I drop the weight again).

When my husband and I lost our weight the first time our rings no longer fit. I felt very awkward with no ring, but we were hesitant to resize in case we regained the weight (I did some, but wedding ring and solitaire still don't fit). He found a discounted ring at Effy in Nassau on a cruise for around $60 or $80 that's silver colored with a black band that works well for him, and I have a sterling silver ring in a Celtic design from a goldsmith. It's only around $40 but I love the look - the design makes it pretty but the lack of stone and being flat make it practical. I'd had this ring once before but lost it and the goldsmith is gracious enough to do a one-time recasting of discontinued pieces. I make sure I don't lose it now.

When I lose the weight again and maintain the loss I might get my wedding rings resized and switch the silver ring to my left hand, but I'm happy for now that we were each able to find a ring we like that sort of match each other.

I had ordered a white skort from Athleta in a 16T. When it arrived I tried it on & it slithered down my hips. With everything going on I didn’t get to return it till today. The store doesn’t carry talls (I like the extra length) so I tried on a 12r, nope too big (i started getting excited). I ended up ordering an 8T, talk about being excited! Even the store clerks were laughing. The one girl I normally go to had said you’ll be an 8 & I laughed at her, she was right! Then they matched the sale price that I’d had & a women that had walked into the store behind me tried on & bought my returned skort. Everyone was happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is so fun Melody!! That's the kind of experience that I'm sure kind of makes the day special for the workers in the store. The excitement and the joy over the whole realization of how your body has changed, especially when it's change for the better!!

Just made our return flights home from Boston. It's just going to be a quick trip. Two nights only for DH and myself. But the fun news is that DS will not be with us for either of those nights, so a bit like a weekend getaway for us. We won't have too much family time in Boston but that's okay. There's only so much you can do each year OMG...and we really need to get DH home for work.

Looks like we might be getting a couple nights getaway to Virginia Beach!! DH's boss is wanting him to go there to do some sort of something with the navy? IDK. The deal is that it isn't THAT far from us and honestly, the best form of travel for DH to do would be to drive. So work would cover the mileage and the hotel and DH's food. DS and I can tag along, and have our own car to do what we want while DH is working in the day time. Could be fun!

The woman had come in with her daughter saying I can never find anything here & it’s all so cute. The salesclerk I normally go to said, I have something that’s just been returned if you’d like to try it on, it’s a tall, so might work. She tried it on & came out of the dressing room with it on saying, what other colors does this come in & how soon can I get them! I told her I do a lot of my Athleta shopping on line (better sales) & she was so excited. The skort looked great on her.

Anita, yay on Boston! Don’t forget to go t Fanueil Hall, great shops & good casual restaurants (Regina’s Pizza, Cheers). It’s the end of the Freedom Trail.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My new backpack/tote came today.

http://www.patagonia.com/product/lightweight-travel-tote-pack-22-liters/190696002218.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=shopping&utm_campaign=shopping&CAWELAID=120226140000398949&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=sopping%20ad&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20Equipment&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6MSd4_ac2wIVDlmGCh1gVwnlEAYYAiABEgJQV_D_BwE

I was concerned that the color might be too bright (Sprouted Green), but it's not. It's not exactly EARTH though. In spite of being very light, it's well made and just the right size for me. I wouldn't use it as a serious backpack as the straps are only lightly padded and not very wide, plus I don't know how the nylon will hold up. I'm mostly going to tote it through airports and use it as our daypack in the vehicle, so it's perfect for that. I may buy a second one for DH if he finds it comfortable. I signed up for emails from several places and eventually got a 20% off coupon and free shipping from Backcountry.com.

My dermatologist used this after my last treatment, and it was awesome. My skin looked so nice the next day (usually it's a bit pink). He puts them in the refrigerator. I got some to use at home. I think they will feel good after a hot summer day:

https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Skin-Rejuvenating-Facial-Sheet/dp/B01NCFHLSI?th=1

This isn't fashion related, but I'm getting to do a cool thing at work. One of my beginner English students has an underwater robotics company, and he's offered to bring an ROV and pilot to campus next week for a discussion/demo. So, I've been talking to some of the engineering professors and the student STEM club for a joint STEM/TESOL event. My inner nerd is very happy.

Margaret, I’ve tried that Skin Rejuvenating mask, really does help especially after the chemo treatment on the face. I go back 6 June, this reminded me to order some more!

We met my cousin’s first grandchild yesterday. My head hurts from trying to figure out the relationship, third cousin twice removed (I think!). He’s a month old tomorrow & is an eating machine. We’re going to be Gruncle & Grandy! Melody b24e53ad14ea4d375bd23707b0ec8157.jpg777bd88bdbdfa0acfbd2cea43dca80a9.jpg

Margaret, I’ve tried that Skin Rejuvenating mask, really does help especially after the chemo treatment on the face. I go back 6 June, this reminded me to order some more!

We met my cousin’s first grandchild yesterday. My head hurts from trying to figure out the relationship, third cousin twice removed (I think!). He’s a month old tomorrow & is an eating machine. We’re going to be Gruncle & Grandy! Melody b24e53ad14ea4d375bd23707b0ec8157.jpg777bd88bdbdfa0acfbd2cea43dca80a9.jpg

Sooo cute:hearteyes:

I think this is your 1st cousin, twice removed (and your grandchildren would be third cousins to the baby) - but I can never keep it straight either:')

Fun seeing babies that aren't your responsibility!

He is your first cousin twice removed. The children of cousins are second cousins. The children of second cousins are third cousins. You take the closest relationship you have to the oldest person in the blood line of person you are referring to, in this case, you refer to the baby, your closest blood relationship in that baby's blood line is your first cousin, that baby is removed from that cousin by two generations, hence twice removed from your first cousin. Therefore, you are FIRST cousins TWICE removed!

Very cute, though I'm not a big baby fan. :o

Fun seeing babies that aren't your responsibility!

He is your first cousin twice removed. The children of cousins are second cousins. The children of second cousins are third cousins. You take the closest relationship you have to the oldest person in the blood line of person you are referring to, in this case, you refer to the baby, your closest blood relationship in that baby's blood line is your first cousin, that baby is removed from that cousin by two generations, hence twice removed from your first cousin. Therefore, you are FIRST cousins TWICE removed!

Very cute, though I'm not a big baby fan. :o

I think I remembered it right!

That’s what I’d originally thought, first cousin twice removed, but there were several glasses of mimosas involved [emoji6].

I tried on all of my capris & shorts yesterday (of which I have way too many), including the tote that I hadn’t opened in 3 years. The only ones that didn’t do the hip slither were the tote of 3 years ago. So today I went to Kohl’s & Penney’s & bought 2 pairs of white capris, a pair of white ankle pants (all size 8 [emoji6]) a a bathing suit (size 12, bathing suits are so weird!). I’m tickled. Melody

Does everyone know that your rain gear may need to have it's waterproof refreshed? So I've read that getting dirty through normal use and whatnot can negatively affect the waterproof. To refresh it, wash it and then tumble dry low or medium for 10-15 minutes...the heat in the dryer helps to refresh the waterproof. I had no idea. I've used my rain jacket more than the guys and I noticed mine didn't seem to be as effective...that is, I was still totally dry because of the inner layer...but the outer layer didn't bead up as well on the shoulders.

I've used Nikwax products in the past on boots. They have a tech wash fabric that is designed for your technical fabrics to clean them to help them either refresh the current waterproof or get it ready for an application of more waterproofing. You are supposed to retest after washing to see if that did the trick, especially if it's a newer garment. I've worn mine for over two years...(without washing it:o...I was scared to wash it, thinking that would WEAKEN the waterproofing!)

And by the way...the jacket I got is on sale at Cabela's for less than $50.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/clothing/womens-clothing/womens-outerwear/womens-rainwear/pc/104797080/c/104789880/sc/104480280/i/103914180/womens-storms-edge-stretch-rain-jacket/1931774.uts?slotId=3

Going to be dealing with this soon...as well as applying a new layer of waterproof to my leather boots.

I didn't know Bass Pro bought Cabelas! I'm not up on news...but I looked that up to read about it. Two year deal...wow. I've always preferred Cabelas to Bass Pro...hmmm.

Today was all about getting our first aid kit revamped. We have an old one but it needed to be refreshed. I spent a good hour or more in Target looking at all the choices and a checklist. There's a deal going on there...you get a handy organizer for free if you buy at least 3 participating products. So I got two organizers free. We'll have one for each vehicle...or one for the house and one for a vehicle. One for travel...IDK. But it's handy. Turns out the new organizer weighs less than the old...so we tossed the old. In with the new!

Just a few things I couldn't find in Target...so still need to go to a Walgreens or CVS or something. We're going to be pretty far removed from services when we are in our cabin...and it's something we've been meaning to do...

My new trail shoes came in the mail today!

IMG_2137.jpg

My hiking boots are old school. I love them and appreciate them for a serious trail and definitely for when I carry a loaded backpack...but they're a bit much for city walking...or just pleasure hiking. I like this Altra Running brand and they had these on a very good sale:

https://www.altrarunning.com/women/king-mt

I'm totally happy with them! My rain jacket is purple...so I'm feeling so color coordinated!

In 25 nights I'll be driving to the airport hotel in anticipation of an early am flight!! OMG...

Edited to add: As you can clearly see from all the surrounding EARTH toned rugs, upholstery and other decor...these lovely trail shoes are NOT earth toned! Oh well!!