Dressing 4 dinner

:)hi

Hello everyone on cruisecritic!

This is my first post so here goes lol

I'm new to cruising, we've booked a cruise for Jan 18 around the Caribbean and as I've never been on a cruise ship I'm not sure what clothes to pack.

Normally on holiday I wear shorts all the time, swimming shorts in the daytime and formal shorts in the evening. Also I wear sandals ALL the time!

So what I would like to know is when wouldn't I be allowed to wear sandals and when wouldn't I be allowed to wear shorts? I'm assuming it might be the evening dinner period but any information would be helpful in helping me decide what to pack & what to buy before sailing

Thanks in advance:)

Shorts and sandalls are fine during the day but you would be expected to wear a shirt or t.shirt in the restaurants/bars. In the evening most people wear smart/casual i.e. trousers and an open neck shirt. You would need these to eat in the main dining room, however you can wear shorts in the buffet. Depends what you prefer but most people will be fairly dressed up.

Shorts and sandalls are fine during the day but you would be expected to wear a shirt or t.shirt in the restaurants/bars. In the evening most people wear smart/casual i.e. trousers and an open neck shirt. You would need these to eat in the main dining room, however you can wear shorts in the buffet. Depends what you prefer but most people will be fairly dressed up.

Would jeans be allowed in the evening?

What about shoes? Are canvas deck shoes allowed or does it have to be shoes?

Would jeans be allowed in the evening?

What about shoes? Are canvas deck shoes allowed or does it have to be shoes?

have seen smart dark jeans in the mdr, ave heard people say its a no to sandals for men

ave heard people say its a no to sandals for men

So have I.

My husband can only wear sandals due to medical issues. I contacted Thomson and they said I would have to explain this to the Maitre d' on arrival so he would be allowed in the MDR wearing sandals.

Minimum standard for dress in the evenings. Trousers and open necked shirt for the evening. Shirts should have sleeves. Smart dress jeans will be OK. For formal evenings (applies to the mdr only) a shirt rather than a tee shirt. I wear a tie too.

Dress trainers are OK for the evening.

formal evenings are now called 'dress to impress'

ps - wearing your favourite footie team shirt does not impress!

we are also doing the Caribbean in Jan 18, on Celebration. First time to Caribbean but not first cruise.

My DH will be taking smart casual for the evenings - chinos, short-sleeved shirts etc and probably a jacket & tie for the 'posh' night, rather than dinner jacket.

I'll be going down the maxi dress/summer dress/linen trousers route :D

Minimum standard for dress in the evenings. Trousers and open necked shirt for the evening. Shirts should have sleeves. Smart dress jeans will be OK. For formal evenings (applies to the mdr only) a shirt rather than a tee shirt. I wear a tie too.

Dress trainers are OK for the evening.

formal evenings are now called 'dress to impress'

ps - wearing your favourite footie team shirt does not impress!

are polo shirts acceptable for the mdr apart from the formal nights

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

Shorts, cropped trousers, tshirts and sandals are fine for day time. Smart casual for evenings eg. Long trousers and collared shirt for men, no sandals.

Smart trousers, dressy tops, dresses for ladies. More formal wear for the captain's night.

There is no such thing as smart jeans or smart trainers no matter what the name or the price tag.

I have seen people turned away from the MDR wearing jeans and " smart shorts ".

Why cause yourself the embarrassment of being turned away in from of other diners.

Yes, polo shirts are just fine for non formal nights.

Of course there are smart jeans, they don't have to be blue and stone washed, faded and full off holes. I have a dark brown pair and they were accepted on non formal nights. I have seen people wearing white ones!. There are smart trainers as well. I have black, dark blue, mid grey and white versions, only the white ones look like trainers.

With the introduction of Discovery and dress to impress evenings TUI is making formal nights less formal and more relaxed, as befits a holiday.

The way I look at it is you either have a dress code or you don't; there is no in-between. It reminds me of when I was at school many years ago and we would try and push the uniform boundaries as far as we could! I've seen many holiday makers do the same thing on cruise ships, arguing that the shorts or trainers they are wearing are indeed smart and should be allowed. Dress codes should be clearly stated and rigorously adhered to; they are places to eat on all ships for those who want to be more casual.

Know what you are saying but this is the 21st century, not the sixties, when all men wore suits on Saturday nights out. When we were on the Discovery in January we ate in the main restaurant every night and did not see anybody pushing the boundaries. Not a great fan of Thomson but think they have got it right in relaxing the DJ , suit rule and gone for dress to impress. There are some smashing clothes for men these days and the main thing on holiday is to have fun and not be governed by outdated rules.

Know what you are saying but this is the 21st century, not the sixties, when all men wore suits on Saturday nights out. When we were on the Discovery in January we ate in the main restaurant every night and did not see anybody pushing the boundaries. Not a great fan of Thomson but think they have got it right in relaxing the DJ , suit rule and gone for dress to impress. There are some smashing clothes for men these days and the main thing on holiday is to have fun and not be governed by outdated rules.

As long as clothes are clean, don't smell, don't have any offensive language on them and cover all the bits I don't care what someone is wearing!

Sent from my SGP611 using Forums mobile app

Don't get my wrong - I didn't say that people should always be suited and booted on a cruise! I spend every working day in a suit so don't particularly want to wear one whilst on holiday. But what I am saying is that where a dress code exists then it should be enforced and people can choose to eat at that particular restaurant or not. If Thomson's are relaxing their code then fine; I've cruised with Carnival and NCL, both of whom are totally casual. However, on more "formal" cruises I know what the rules are before I go and pack clothing accordingly.

vwgolf, no offense intended. I don't think it was you who said it but I am bemused when people say smart jeans and trainers aren't smart as if it is a fact. It is an opinion not a fact. Very view things are inherently aesthetically pleasing to the human eye. The Golden Ratio would seem to be one of the few cases. Formal wear differs across the world, across time and across cultures, so a suit is "smart" because of social convention, familiarity and the recent history of fashion, it is not inherently smart.

I too wear a suit at work 5 days a week. I shall probably wear one and a tie :halo: on Dress to Impress night. Now this might seem a bit odd (grumpy old man syndrome :) ) but if I was told I had to wear at least a suit and tie, I might consider skipping the night in the MDR, but because I "could" go in chinos and polo shirt I am more happy to be suited and booted. I guess it's to do with having a choice.

I do wonder though what the reaction would be if there was a designated "casual night" in the MDR and suits , shirts and ties were not allowed :-) Light the touch paper and retire to a safe distance :mad:

I totally agree vwgolf.

We use decent hotels in the Med and Canaries when we are not cruising and they all have a dinner dress code which stipulates long trousers for men, and no beach wear in general in the restaurants. The maitre d will discreetly refuse entry to non conformists.

It is pleasant to see people nicely dressed, and it does maintain standards.

Not trying to start a war as we all have opinions which are equally valid, but...... some of the richest, most successful men in the world, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Richard Branson etc etc rarely wear a tie and almost never a suit. On the other hand the Mafia mob, The Krays etc were always suited and booted. I know who I would rather sit next to at dinner ;).

The way I look at it is you either have a dress code or you don't; there is no in-between. It reminds me of when I was at school many years ago and we would try and push the uniform boundaries as far as we could! I've seen many holiday makers do the same thing on cruise ships, arguing that the shorts or trainers they are wearing are indeed smart and should be allowed. Dress codes should be clearly stated and rigorously adhered to; they are places to eat on all ships for those who want to be more casual.

Do you remember the years when short fat tie was in, then next term the tiny long one. Oh those were the days!

[quote name=ACundy

I do wonder though what the reaction would be if there was a designated "casual night" in the MDR and suits , shirts and ties were not allowed :-) Light the touch paper and retire to a safe distance :mad:[/quote]

I don't think there would be a reaction because all nights other than 'dress to impress' are designated smart casual.

I recently attended an evening event at my golf club dressed in collar and tie not having read the notice which clearly said 'smart casual' and I felt rather embarrassed and overdressed, plus I had my leg pulled.

So conformity with the code of the day, whether it be formal or casual, is the best solution.:)

I remember years ago my father's company was bought by a US one. My Dad and Mum went on a integration trip (Jolly) to the States and they had so many dress codes for each event, business smart casual, sports club smart casual, informal daytime smart casual, evening formal, business formal. It was quite difficult to tell the difference but each detailed in the most detailed way possible! We had a good laugh about it.

I think the problem with the Thomson's code is that in a effort to appear more easy going it is so open to interpretation that it is open to confusion. If it says, as I think I saw somewhere, something as simple as "long trousers and an open neck shirt must be worn in the MDR" , then jeans, smart or not, a polo shirt and trainers meet that code. I have seen posts on other sites saying people were turned away in jeans and trainers. If so , they shouldn't be. If they don't want these to be worn in the MDR it should say "no jeans,trainers etc". The word "smart" should never be used as it is totally subjective.

I think the problem with the Thomson's code is that in a effort to appear more easy going it is so open to interpretation that it is open to confusion. If it says, as I think I saw somewhere, something as simple as "long trousers and an open neck shirt must be worn in the MDR" , then jeans, smart or not, a polo shirt and trainers meet that code. I have seen posts on other sites saying people were turned away in jeans and trainers. If so , they shouldn't be. If they don't want these to be worn in the MDR it should say "no jeans,trainers etc". The word "smart" should never be used as it is totally subjective.

I have always understood 'smart casual' to refer to a sleeved shirt, long trousers and shoes, as opposed to 'casual' where t shirt, jeans and trainers fit the description.

I think the word 'smart' does not imply that the latter attire is scruffy but is used to define the difference between the 2 modes of casual.