New York Embark

Hi Everyone. I just booked a Magic 7 day for next Fall out of NYC. We would have to fly in day before given time changes. My questions are:

Does Disney provide transport of any kind in this area?

What's easier for this port? JFK or La Guardia?

Hotel that is easiest for this?

Special consideration: my son is a fulltime wheelchair user and I do not want to mess with taxis in NYC if I can avoid it. We have no desire to visit NYC as an add on....I just need to know the best way to get in and out of port here. We have never cruised out of NYC.

Hi Everyone. I just booked a Magic 7 day for next Fall out of NYC. We would have to fly in day before given time changes. My questions are:

Does Disney provide transport of any kind in this area?

What's easier for this port? JFK or La Guardia?

Hotel that is easiest for this?

Special consideration: my son is a fulltime wheelchair user and I do not want to mess with taxis in NYC if I can avoid it. We have no desire to visit NYC as an add on....I just need to know the best way to get in and out of port here. We have never cruised out of NYC.

Skyline hotel is very close to the port. I just stayed there this month. It’s clean without frills and not too expensive. Disney usually has transportation but I think it’s too the airport. LGA is about 20 minutes closer to the port than JFK is, which makes the taxi ride a little cheaper. Also, the Skyline has a restaurant right next to the hotel which makes it easy to not use taxis as much as possible. Good luck. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've found the HA assist at JFK to be awful. They are unionized and have a long list of "rules" that benefit only those who give the assistance, not the person needing it. In fairness, on one trip we had a guy who was amazing, but on multiple other trips it was awful. We avoid JFK whenever possible. LaGuardia is a much nicer airport....both in terms of facilities and HA assist.

In the past, DCL offered transportation from both LaGuardia and JFK. This ran in both directions (contrary to above post). Obviously, past performance does not guarantee future. There are lots of hotels near LaGuardia that are reasonably priced....I don't remember where we stayed. It was just an overnight place to sleep, but I do know it was close. I don't think there is a hotel inside the airport. If you stay near the cruise terminal, you have to deal with getting there and then getting to port the next morning. If you stay near the airport, you can return to the airport on the morning of the cruise and use DCL transportation from there. I do not know whether DCL had a hotel from which they provided transportation, but you can be sure it was a costly hotel if they did.

We found "super shuttle" an easier way to get around than taxis (I know you said you wanted to avoid cabs if possible).

We've found the HA assist at JFK to be awful. They are unionized and have a long list of "rules" that benefit only those who give the assistance' date=' not the person needing it. In fairness, on one trip we had a guy who was amazing, but on multiple other trips it was awful. We avoid JFK whenever possible. LaGuardia is a much nicer airport....both in terms of facilities and HA assist.

In the past, DCL offered transportation from both LaGuardia and JFK. This ran in both directions (contrary to above post). Obviously, past performance does not guarantee future. There are lots of hotels near LaGuardia that are reasonably priced....I don't remember where we stayed. It was just an overnight place to sleep, but I do know it was close. I don't think there is a hotel inside the airport. If you stay near the cruise terminal, you have to deal with getting there and then getting to port the next morning. If you stay near the airport, you can return to the airport on the morning of the cruise and use DCL transportation from there. I do not know whether DCL had a hotel from which they provided transportation, but you can be sure it was a costly hotel if they did.

We found "super shuttle" an easier way to get around than taxis (I know you said you wanted to avoid cabs if possible).[/quote']

That’s interesting that you say that about JFK, Moki. Everyone I came across while walking through the airport wanted to put me in a wheelchair. (I have spina bifida but am capable of walking on my own.) They must have gotten a strongly worded letter from someone who came before me.

That’s interesting that you say that about JFK, Moki. Everyone I came across while walking through the airport wanted to put me in a wheelchair. (I have spina bifida but am capable of walking on my own.) They must have gotten a strongly worded letter from someone who came before me.

I'll provide details if it will serve any purpose. On international flights, we have chosen a different airline to avoid JFK due to the difficulties with HA service. On domestic flights, we try to us LaGuardia or Newark. We have not had these issues at ANY other airport in the world.

Southwest is our preferred airline and they fly into La Guardia so we will do that. Also, several Marriott properties right outside the airport that offer shuttles (so technically they should have an ADA option--I will call each and see) and then it does look like Disney still offers transport from both airports. They also have a partner Marriott hotel somewhere in the city that they say offers transport to and from if booked through them. I will at least get pricing on it.

My wife and I will be on NCL from NYC to Bermuda in July 2018. I’m considering both LGA and Newark via Southwest Air. We’ll arrive day before cruise and stay in city near the cruise port. I don’t want to rush the morning that the cruise departs. The Skyline Hotel is a good option, only 3 or 4 blocks from cruise terminal. We’ll arrive on a Saturday, cruise leaves Sunday, so traffic by cab or shuttle from airport shouldn’t be too bad. We will avoid JFK airport. A shuttle back to airport on Sunday return date shouldn’t be bad to either Newark or LGA.

My wife and I will be on NCL from NYC to Bermuda in July 2018. I’m considering both LGA and Newark via Southwest Air. We’ll arrive day before cruise and stay in city near the cruise port. I don’t want to rush the morning that the cruise departs. The Skyline Hotel is a good option, only 3 or 4 blocks from cruise terminal. We’ll arrive on a Saturday, cruise leaves Sunday, so traffic by cab or shuttle from airport shouldn’t be too bad. We will avoid JFK airport. A shuttle back to airport on Sunday return date shouldn’t be bad to either Newark or LGA.

If you are planning on a private shuttle back to the airport, either one will work. In the past, I don't believe that DCL had transportation to Newark.

Having a mobility impaired family member throws a whole additional level of consideration into the mix. Making things "easy" becomes very important, because nothing in life is as easy as it was. We know that DCL transportation will meet our needs. With other arrangements, we can never be sure what will happen when we explain that we'll need wheelchair or walker accessibility.

Flying from where? I once had to get to the city via JFK (and this was before needing HA), and the shuttles and commute in and out of the airport, let alone into the city, seemed to take forever--Especially since I was going from a city that was already on the Amtrak NE-Atlantic corridor, which would have dropped me off at Grand Central or Penn Station in the heart of midtown, with elevators to the street. I've taken the train ever since, and left the driving to the shuttles.

BTW, which were the best hotels next to the Manhattan Cruise Terminal besides the Skyline, again? Looked them up on Hotels.com last time they were mentioned, and didn't seem too bad, for the price.

totally agree about the need to avoid JFK at all costs and that's even if you don't have HA issues.

although to an extent it depends which airline you fly - since the different terminals have different experiences.

But as a rule of thumb, avoid JFK, even if it means paying slightly more!!

by far, the absolute worst terminal at JFK is terminal 4 (the "international terminal").

it is an embarrassment to the US that a terminal like that should exist in a modern advanced country like the USA.

it ranks right up there with the most horrible terminals in the most horrible countries in the world (yes, i've been to many of them).

it's really a nightmare - i can't overstate the need to avoid it!!

we were just there in august - sadly twice, both arriving into the US and leaving again at the end of the most wonderful holiday ever -despite JFKs determined efforts to make it otherwise.

again - stay away from JFK!!!! :(

Our Super shuttle experience in New York was the worst we've had in any city....so I'd go with any suggestion of a better service. SuperShuttle was better than a NY taxi though, which was totally terrible. We had vouchers from the airline due to a flight delay and the driver attempted to cram 6 of us + driver into a sedan. We were 2 different groups (myself and daughter were together and 4 businessmen were together.) He just wanted to be able to turn in all the vouchers. Then he was an ass at the airport drop off to the point that the guard yelled at him!

We are in New York now we arrived three days ago on a cruise ship. We decided to take Lyft to the hotel. There were four of us in our party with six large suitcases and carryon bags. Supershuttle and Dial7 were high cost so we selected Lyft. The Lyft arrived the driver said too much luggage. He suggested we use another class of service about ten dollars more. The second driver arrived with the same type of vehicle. He took his time loaded the vehicle a tight squeeze. We had to pay for premium service but we were happy with the service. We had the same problem in Montreal with Uber two vehicles arrived that were unable to carry us to the ship. We ended up taking a taxi minivan. The fare was reasonable.

I have used Dial7 a couple of times before and will be taking them to the airport tomorrow.