Fire on Aurora

Balaena

Fire in the engine room of the Aurora right now. All electricity gone and all passengers told to return to their cabins. Crew on full alert at their stations. We are mid Atlantic heading for the Azores but right now not moving apart from being tossed about by the swell.

Fire in the engine room of the Aurora right now. All electricity gone and all passengers told to return to their cabins. Crew on full alert at their stations. We are mid Atlantic heading for the Azores but right now not moving apart from being tossed about by the swell.

OMG hope it gets sorted.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Note in conjunction to the "Muster Stations" thread, that in this emergency passengers have not been sent to muster stations or promenade (boat deck). One would assume that the crew need unrestricted access down all passageways to fulfil their emergency roles and are not going to be serving in bars etc. Therefore passengers have been ordered to go to cabins. This allows the space crew need.

We now know the fire is out and a technical recovery is now needed and presumably in progress with damage report and repairs being scheduled.

Should the situation needed escalation everyone in their own cabin would be ideally placed to collect life jacket out the wardrobe and move on to muster station if required.

Hope all goes well and you get back to happy cruising.

Regards John

She had a similar problem when we were on her 9-20 August. We were delayed leaving port by a couple of hours one evening.

Hope everything is quickly resolved and you are underway again soon.

Was it an engine room fire in August as well?

Hope all is well on this occasion, sounds like the Captain and crew have it all under control.

Note in conjunction to the "Muster Stations" thread, that in this emergency passengers have not been sent to muster stations or promenade (boat deck). One would assume that the crew need unrestricted access down all passageways to fulfil their emergency roles and are not going to be serving in bars etc. Therefore passengers have been ordered to go to cabins. This allows the space crew need.

We now know the fire is out and a technical recovery is now needed and presumably in progress with damage report and repairs being scheduled.

Should the situation needed escalation everyone in their own cabin would be ideally placed to collect life jacket out the wardrobe and move on to muster station if required.

Hope all goes well and you get back to happy cruising.

Regards John

Well explained.

All back to normal and moving along at a pace to catch up time lost. Thanks for the good wishes, was a bit of a worry at the time, we were all prepared to go to our muster stations.

Great news,Aurora is one of our favourite ships, enjoy the rest of the cruise and hopefully plain sailing from now on.

We were on Britannia 11.30pm when there was a suspected fire in the engine room --- frightening to say the least.

Glad that the Captain and crew handled it all well (as ever) and that everyone is safe.

Safe journey everyone

We were on Aurora last Christmas, and at a sailaway party in the Caribbean, I spotted some 'impressive' black smoke and flames coming out of the funnel for quite a while... Some carbon (or something) was being burnt off... Due to the sailaway, most people were oblivious, but I was relieved we were in a port, else it would have been a little more concerning!

Glad all is well for you on board, and enjoy the bottle of wine, that I've read on FB that you're all receiving :)

Was it an engine room fire in August as well?

Yes, IIRC it was. We'd noticed some very black smoke coming from the funnel earlier, then around the time we were due to leave port the captain said that there was a problem, they were working to fix it, but we might be delayed a little. We were kept well informed, obviously as we were docked it was less worrying than if we'd be on the open sea.

Yes, IIRC it was. We'd noticed some very black smoke coming from the funnel earlier, then around the time we were due to leave port the captain said that there was a problem, they were working to fix it, but we might be delayed a little. We were kept well informed, obviously as we were docked it was less worrying than if we'd be on the open sea.

Thanks for replying. I just wondered as two similar episodes within a couple of months is a bit worrying.

While it all seems to have been handled well on both occasions I wonder what the problem is that is causing it in the first place.

I read a full description of what happened on FB and the Captain broadcast to the passengers thanking the crew for their efficient work and also the passengers for the way they handled things. The posting also said that every cabin had a bottle of wine delivered with the thanks of P&O. Now that's the way to handle things.

I read a full description of what happened on FB and the Captain broadcast to the passengers thanking the crew for their efficient work and also the passengers for the way they handled things. The posting also said that every cabin had a bottle of wine delivered with the thanks of P&O. Now that's the way to handle things.

Yes you are right in what you say, however unlike two previous occasions on different ships when crew alerts were also called, the Captain did not say at any time during or after the incident, that we were out of danger. On the two previous incidents I mentioned the Captain reassured the passengers that we were out of danger.

Well done to the captain.

We are cruising on Aurora at the end of the year & i cant say this gives me much confidence. Firstly i know cruise companies like to do repairs on the run but surely any sort of fire will have caused all kinds of issues and i dont like the idea of just putting the fire out then carrying on like nothing has happened. Secondly this doesnt seem to be a one off so if it isnt fixed thoroughly the chances are it will happen again & there will be a lot of unhappy passengers if we have to miss out ports because of ongoing faults related to this.