Putting luggage out on the last night...ughhh!

mcgratru

The one time we had a long Customs line was in Houston (where else?) I even asked the Princess rep why they didn't designate a few Customs desks for non-US citizens' date=' which would have allowed the US citizens to clear much more quickly. She said that was supposed to be the system but something had been messed up and there were non-citizens at all the lines...and Customs was being very thorough....which is their job.[/quote']

I agree something had been messed up. Each time we disembarked in Houston there were two booths dedicated to non-citizens.

Unlike, for example, Fort Lauderdale, most of the time in Houston there was just one ship a week and some of the time two ships a week. So there was not a dedicated immigration/customs staff that showed up every day.

I also feel that the luggage pickup in the terminal can be improved, like show cruise ID before taking luggage. We recently returned from ocean to ocean panama canal cruise that ended in San Francisco. When we finally got off the ship and were collecting our luggage, most had already been taken, we discovered that one of them was missing. Informed staff and they completed paper worked and along with ported looked all over for this one piece of luggage. I even went outside to where people where either getting picked up or dropped off, for next cruise, and checked all the luggage I could but no luck. Not knowing my wife was doing the safe thing this time she found our luggage about to be loaded into a large van with a group of about 10 also ready to board. She stopped them from loading and told them that this was her luggage. It even had a large RED TAG that read "THIS IS MINE" the lady that was about to load it told her "I was wondering who this belonged too"!!!!! Needless to say BE VERY CAREFUL and make sure no valuables are placed into your luggage just dirty clothes....

I agree something had been messed up. Each time we disembarked in Houston there were two booths dedicated to non-citizens.

Unlike, for example, Fort Lauderdale, most of the time in Houston there was just one ship a week and some of the time two ships a week. So there was not a dedicated immigration/customs staff that showed up every day.

We also had a large group of non-US citizens on board...which might have contributed to the mess at Customs. Whatever...Houston is no longer a port for any cruise line as far as I know.

As to the woman who "didn't know who the luggage belonged to," they WHY are you loading it onto your transportation vehicle without looking at the name on the ID tag? Some people are just idiots.

I also feel that the luggage pickup in the terminal can be improved, like show cruise ID before taking luggage.

Airports used to require passengers to show luggage tags when picking up luggage at the end of the flight. Only a handful of airports still do this.

Neither have I been asked to show my tag, but I always have one in my pocket just in case.
I have flown in Europe for 50 years and we have flown 28 times to Orlando,once to New York and once to San Juan in the last 25 years and never been asked for a bag tag.

Personally i think it is a very good idea.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Airports used to require passengers to show luggage tags when picking up luggage at the end of the flight. Only a handful of airports still do this.

Even when they did this, I had my suitcase taken. Got it back the next day when the people who took it realise their mistake.

I saw theirs on the carowsal, but security swore that my bag could not have gotten through without them checking.:eek: