Anyone close to retirement? / when do you start counting the days?

Look2Sea

For those retired or near retirement, how and why did you pick the date you chose to retire? My hubby and I are retiring in 3 - 5 years and chose a Thursday to retire. That way we don't have to go in on Friday. [emoji16]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I love that idea! My husband has been retired for 2 years. Im 62 and I just cant do it much longer. The 2 subway commute is a killer. Im planning on retiring in January and biting the bullet with the insurance.

For those retired or near retirement, how and why did you pick the date you chose to retire? My hubby and I are retiring in 3 - 5 years and chose a Thursday to retire. That way we don't have to go in on Friday. [emoji16]

Hello

My full retirement age would be on my birthday in Dec. 2012 so my thinking was.

I worked outside year round in Minnesota for 42.5 years.

I didn't want to work another winter or take the chance, in 1991 MN had a Halloween blizzard over 3 ft. of snow.

My last day was Oct. 31, 2012 signed all the paperwork turn in all company property etc...

So I didn't use any vacation or personal leave days early in the year. Started my vacation & PL days on Nov. 1st, this almost carried me to the end of the year.

My retirement date was Jan. 2, 2013 this way I was paid for New Year's Day holiday.

Being my birthday is Dec. my first retirement check/direct deposit would start on Feb 1, 2013.

My final paycheck would be Jan. 15, 2013, I earned my vacation for 2013 by working the 10 months in 2012

I took this vacation pay as a lump sum in Jan. 2013.

I am happy with the way my planning turned out!!!... Except 2012 was a leap year so an extra day Feb. 29th, which of course I had no control over. LOL

I hope what ever dates you plan for your retirement works as well.

Tom

I was posting on this thread 4 years ago with others. At least 1 year before I retired. You guys will get there and you will love being retired. Pretty much you get to choose what you want to do' date=' when you want to do it, or do nothing!!![emoji4']

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

Hey Debbie,

Finished up another school year. I started collecting social security in March. I paid off our first mortgage on our house June 30th. I will work at least one more year to pay off some bills. Then I will see what happens. I did talk to my principal about part time work since my grandkids will be going to my school and after 30 years there I still want to be connected. My class was a challenge but the new principal was good. I don't have to worry about taking anymore classes because they have a new ruling that if you are over 55 and have taught for 25 years or more you can get a permanent license.

Hey Debbie,

Finished up another school year. I started collecting social security in March. I paid off our first mortgage on our house June 30th. I will work at least one more year to pay off some bills. Then I will see what happens. I did talk to my principal about part time work since my grandkids will be going to my school and after 30 years there I still want to be connected. My class was a challenge but the new principal was good. I don't have to worry about taking anymore classes because they have a new ruling that if you are over 55 and have taught for 25 years or more you can get a permanent license.

Shirley, that is great!!! One step closer to retirement! Schools always need substitutes and I am sure they will welcome an experienced teacher. And I know with your grandkids there it would be special. Janice and I are going on the Bliss in August. Very excited to see the ship as well as Alaska. Enjoy your summer!

You and Janice will love Alaska. We have gone on two Alaska cruises, one 5 years ago with our friends and last August with my son from Chicago and my daughter-in-laws' family. In Skaway, they have a train that goes up the mountain. It is a little expensive but it is worth the money. I have a niece that has been living in Nome for the last 7 years. She is moving back to Wisconsin in Sept. She is an eye doctor.

You and Janice will love Alaska. We have gone on two Alaska cruises, one 5 years ago with our friends and last August with my son from Chicago and my daughter-in-laws' family. In Skaway, they have a train that goes up the mountain. It is a little expensive but it is worth the money. I have a niece that has been living in Nome for the last 7 years. She is moving back to Wisconsin in Sept. She is an eye doctor.

I have been to Alaska too. It is beautiful! We booked the new NCL Bliss. Looking forward to both!

For those retired or near retirement, how and why did you pick the date you chose to retire? My hubby and I are retiring in 3 - 5 years and chose a Thursday to retire. That way we don't have to go in on Friday.

My job isn't like most people....I work 3, 12 hr shifts per week and I work different days, of my choosing, every week. So, picking what date to quit was pretty easy. I want health insurance through the end of January, 2019 so I need to work at least one day in January. New Year's Day isn't my holiday to work, so I can't pick that one. I then chose Jan. 2 for my last day....can quit asap in January but still get insurance til the end of the month.

My job isn't like most people....I work 3, 12 hr shifts per week and I work different days, of my choosing, every week. So, picking what date to quit was pretty easy. I want health insurance through the end of January, 2019 so I need to work at least one day in January. New Year's Day isn't my holiday to work, so I can't pick that one. I then chose Jan. 2 for my last day....can quit asap in January but still get insurance til the end of the month.
Very smart decision!!

The subject of my retirement is now coming up more frequently at my work as management have finally realized that about a 1/3 of the department are all around the same age of late 50’s early 60’s and they are starting to panic as, in theory we could all leave around the same time which would be a major issue. My boss has asked me to give him at least 6 month notice of when I plan to leave. Hmm,..I said I would try but cant make promises as health would be the deciding factor and I would give at least 3 months as that is the minimum in my contract. That time limit works both ways as if they want to get rid of me they have to give me 3 month notice.

My plan at the moment is to stay working full time until at least the end of the year, and probably until March 2019 as that is when we go on a 3 week trip to Australia. After that, I will probably opt to go on a 3-day week for a year or, as long as it suits me. They have intimated that they are keen on that as a way to retain my services but that may change nearer the time.

I was speaking to a colleague last week who finally quit aged 60 and he had been on a 3-day week for a year and strongly advised it as a gradual transition towards full time retirement.

As for what day ? to be honest I will probably go on or around the last day of that month but I like you’re thinking of a Thursday.

I turn 60 in March 2019, so I started from there as it meant I could leave with a full pension (no penalty). Then I did the math. We have a pension calculator tool that I used to determine how much less I would get if I left a little earlier. I decided I could afford to take a very small penalty, about $25 a month leaving 2 months earlier. I'm an accountant by trade, so next was looking at fixed costs and discretionary spending and I determined that my income would cover my needs.

Then, like an earlier poster, I figured out my vacation credits, and determined I can walk out of the office on Thursday November 29, 2018, be on vacation until January 31, 2019 when I officially retire. The weeks are flying by...it will be here before I know it!

I just decided 2-2-22 would be a great day to say goodbye!! We will see if I make it to then.

Today, I retired today 11 July. Thanks

I picked this date because yesterday 10 July marked 45 years of flying; so by having my retirement date a day later I made the 45 year mark

I picked this date because yesterday 10 July marked 45 years of flying; so by having my retirement date a day later I made the 45 year mark

Congratulations on your retirement and on your long flying career!

Congratulation on reaching that milestone and the beginning of a new chapter in your life.

Yesterday was also the last day at my work of a good friend and colleague who after 28 years and at the age of 65 has decided to call it aday. It was an emotional time as we all said goodbye and I couldn’t help but think that hopefully in the not too distant future, that will be me “clocking off” for the last time and the beginning of a new chapter.

:p

Congratulation.... Now the first thing you do is to unplug the alarm clockclear.png?emoji-tongue-1703clear.png?emoji-tongue-1703

Congrats AF-1! Awesome

I originally picked May 1 as my tentative retirement date. Then I found out that you get your first pension check sooner if you retire at the end of the month as opposed to the beginning, so I am moving it back to April 29 or 30. I get 5 personal days on April 21 (my Anniversary date) then I will use them and retire.

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I started posting here a few years out, as of today my retirement is 145 days. But, I'll be out of the office for a good portion of that time, my last day in the office is only 82 days away. Best of all, when I count the days I have to be in the office...I'm down to a mere 44 days!

I started posting here a few years out, as of today my retirement is 145 days. But, I'll be out of the office for a good portion of that time, my last day in the office is only 82 days away. Best of all, when I count the days I have to be in the office...I'm down to a mere 44 days!

Congrats! I'm a little more than double your time, but that still makes me a short timer.

My days left till retirement is 232 days. Maybe I should start counting days in the office. I will work on that, it's gotta be a better number. Three week vacation in October coming up. [emoji3]

Denise

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk