Uniworld cuts benefits to River Heritage Members

sawtooth

So, for 2019, Uniworld no longer gives a 5% discount to past cruisers.

They give a flat dollar amount based on itinerary and cost...I was told.

We booked an 8 day Rhine cruise and only received a $100 discount on the cruise fare of $4,800 per person.

Not very generous, in my opinion.

Not sure why they changed. But since loyalty doesn't seem to count for much, I can explore different companies.

This is the first I'm hearing of this. I have a cruise booked with them for this fall, but nothing so far for 2019. Will definitely keep an eye on this. $100 off on a cruise that price is almost no incentive to keep booking with them.

Roz

Sorry to hear that they are cutting back on the loyalty benefit, but at least you are still getting some benefit. A lot of cruise lines are getting caught with loyalty programs that promise to give benefits to an ever-growing segment of their passengers. Celebrity often has so many Elites onboard they don't have a room big enough for the Elite cocktail party. So perhaps Uniworld was facing the choice to cut this benefit or raise all prices to cover it -- and that would make them less competitive against the other river cruise lines.

Interesting perspective, Host Jazzbeau.

I just checked Uniworld's website, and there's no mention of the 5%, but they allude to "exclusive savings".

Roz

The 5% discount was only in effect for 2 years, at the most. Before that, it was the flat fee. One category upgrade, if available, also disappeared from the list, but I received on on my cruise this weekend. One free bag of laundry, per person, is also really appreciated. In addition, they will usually offer discounts to River Heritage members throughout the year, which aren't available to the general public.

Jazz, on our Rhine cruise last year, there were 20 past passengers. Less than 10 of us attended the past guest cocktail party. There were more crew there than guests.

Hmm--interesting. We were at a travel show a couple of weeks ago and the Uniworld booth was in line with tables of other groups owned by the same parent company (Trafalgar, along with others). We had traveled with one of the other companies and Uniworld pointed out to us that since we had traveled with one of them, we were eligible for a 5% discount from any of the others, including Uniworld.

Sounds like there is some inconsisteny. I booked several weeks ago for a Vietnam trip in December 2018. Uniworld offered a 15% discount on their website and I was given the extra 5% Heritage club for a total of 20% off. Booked through a large national travel agency and not direct with the line.

Sounds like there is some inconsisteny. I booked several weeks ago for a Vietnam trip in December 2018. Uniworld offered a 15% discount on their website and I was given the extra 5% Heritage club for a total of 20% off. Booked through a large national travel agency and not direct with the line.

Correct. Your cruise is in 2018. The change applies to cruises in 2019.

Robin

I did the same thing for my upcoming Remarkable Rhine cruise this fall. 5% was applied, as well as the promotion being offered by the TA. We're OK for 2018.

Roz

I did the same thing for my upcoming Remarkable Rhine cruise this fall. 5% was applied, as well as the promotion being offered by the TA. We're OK for 2018.

Roz

Hi Roz:

Which date are you sailing? We are on the last trip of the year, November 5, but the schedule worked for us so we are hoping for the best on weather.

Tom & Judy

Maybe it is because they are going to ALL inclusive in 2019......We have loyalty on Ocean cruises, but we have done 1 river with Viking and looking to do Rhine next year, and are looking at 5 different lines....will not be wedded to any one !!

Uniworld has been all inclusive, for the European river cruises, for quite some time. No changes there. As to the 5%, I’m now receiving so many 30% off offers, it makes the 5% off reductions look piddling! I’m signed up for an August cruise with Uniworld. If I was booking now, instead if last summer, we’d be saving about $1K each. Besides cabin selection, it makes us look stupid giving them the money a year before the cruise. Their new pricing keeps going South!

No more early sign ups for us. We’ll wait and watch for great airline sales and then see what cruises are available closer to sail date henceforth .

Hi Roz:

Which date are you sailing? We are on the last trip of the year, November 5, but the schedule worked for us so we are hoping for the best on weather.

Tom & Judy

I'm on the cruise right before yours, that ends on November 5. My other 2 Uniworld cruises were late in the season, and it all worked out. I would much prefer cooler weather for touring, and there aren't the crowds that you get earlier in the season and in the summer. The only drawback is it gets dark early.

Roz

Uniworld has been all inclusive, for the European river cruises, for quite some time. No changes there. As to the 5%, I’m now receiving so many 30% off offers, it makes the 5% off reductions look piddling! I’m signed up for an August cruise with Uniworld. If I was booking now, instead if last summer, we’d be saving about $1K each. Besides cabin selection, it makes us look stupid giving them the money a year before the cruise. Their new pricing keeps going South!

No more early sign ups for us. We’ll wait and watch for great airline sales and then see what cruises are available closer to sail date henceforth .

I was able to get the 30% discount, as well as the 5% discount, and a $125 discount from the travel agency. It all adds up, and I'll take anything I can get.

Roz

Yes, our cruises are in 2019, hence my original post regarding future cruises.

Another odd thing, in the past my TA was able to discount the cruise up front. Now he says Uniworld will not allow that and he is offering a rebate check after the cruise is completed. Seems odd.

Waiting for last minute offers is a great idea if you have the flexibility. We book in advance to secure mileage air tickets.

Now he says Uniworld will not allow that and he is offering a rebate check after the cruise is completed. Seems odd.

That does seem odd...I wonder why that is? I don't have the luxury of waiting last minute to book "big" trips like European river cruises. I'm still working, plus airfare may not be available at a price I'm willing to pay.

Another consideration for me is discounts on the single supplement aren't offered on every itinerary in every category, so the early bird tends to get the worm.

Roz