Picture-A-Week 2018 - Week 07

pierces

My other major hobby is woodworking. It grew out of years of DIY projects that were originally fueled by budget constraints and later by a real enjoyment of working with my hands. There are some DIY areas (such as plumbing) that are less inspiring but they are offset by the satisfaction of sitting in a room where every bit of variegated redwood molding was cut and shaped by me or that our new kitchen cabinets are faced and framed with African Mahogany instead of painted pressboard. At least one semester learning DIY skills and how things like cars and appliances work should be a high school graduation requirement. And, of course, a photography class.

I Saw That

p2752062305-5.jpg

Dave

Back out to the wetlands this past weekend - took me a little longer to sort through and get the photos uploaded - it was a fairly strange and somber weekend with the school shooting just a few miles from my office, and personally involving one of my co-workers' children (she was not injured physically, but emotionally it was a hit). I needed to get back out to nature after the previous week!

Baby turtle on a heart-shaped leaf in the water:

original.jpg

Great egret, showing his green mating colors in the face, coming back to the nest with a stick to build it up:

original.jpg

Many birds not only change colors for mating season, but also grow out long hair-like feathers that can be stuck up and displayed peacock-style. This snowy egret, normally with yellow feet and base of bill, instead turns orange, and those long whispy feathers start to fan out:

original.jpg

Great egrets go even more 'peacock' style - with great long feathers that fan out on its back:

original.jpg

One of the color-change masters...the normally dull cattle egret, a white bird with pale yellow bill and legs, during mating season turns into a veritable rainbow. The legs go red, the feathers on the neck and back turn golden brown, the bill takes on deep yellows, reds, pinks, and oranges, the eyes turn yellow in the center ringed by red, and those long hair-like feathers bloom all over:

original.jpg

Dave

It is a good idea for everyone to learn skills like plumbing, etc.

But many of us were headed to collage and on a 7 period day everything was filled with advanced courses and some multiple labs.

You had time to learn collaging!

😁.

Dave