Celebrity Summit 12/2/17

Robert-Greg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

We had just about given up finding anybody traveling on this ship and were about to go join the straight folks on the main roll call.

So it look like you are very fond of Celebrity from you cruise history. This is our first trip on them. We have done a bunch on RCL and Norwegian, but wanted something a little nicer for this trip. We are hoping they compare favorably with Holland American as we really liked their service.

So we are San Francisco boys, where are you from?

• 1 month later...

I apologize for being out of touch for a bit. We are both from Raleigh, NC. As I have only sailed with Celebrity, I can only vouch for their level of service and style. They have always treated me well. Very attentive and willing to please, particularly with room attendants and dining venues. The "S" class ships are smaller than some, with fewer options for specialty dining and entertainment. Celebrity has one of the highest ratios of public space per person and except for the pool areas, it never seems crowded. I love the "T" pool in the solarium as it has heated mineral/salt water. Looking forward to the trip.

• 2 weeks later...

I booked at the AC Marriott for 1 night (12/1) prior to Hurricane Maria. This hotel is reported to be up and running on generators so I wasn't worried about the reservation until last week. Other cruisers indicated that the hotel had cancelled their reservations of Oct 26/27 although they confirmed a week earlier. It seems that if FEMA or rescue workers are still occupying rooms in the hotel, they will cancel the other reservations. This is occurring in other hotels as well. Since then I booked the Intercontinental as they accepted reservations. Then found the next day that they were cancelling reservations booked through Nov. Next I booked the Hyatt Bayamon. I know they are up and running with electricity. The company I work for is renting space in the hotel so that our staff in PR has a place to work. Bayamon is a suburb and not close to the Port though. So... hotel reservation #4 is now at the DoubleTree. I stayed there before. They are running on generators but also renting out space for workers. Appears to be stable. However I had to book 2 nights 12/1-12/3. Expensive for 1 night. I did not have to pay in advance for any of these. I regret double booking but believe that 1-2 will cancel my reservation by mid Nov. I will cancel the others as soon as I have a verified place. I have heard that the hotel Casablanca is accepting reservations. They are running on generators. Good luck.

We called the Intercontinental directly and were given a reservation for the 12/1 for one night. They said they would be fully operational on the 11/1 so I guess we will wait and see. We started with the Marriott, then went to Courtyard, the a small local (Water Beach Club Hotel) and all took online reservations but when we called they said no guarantee. Fortunately, my husband used to be in corporate travel so he is good at getting reservations with the local office and not using the national call lines.

At this rate it is a wait and see game. We will check every two weeks or so and if we have to we'll just stay in Florida and fly in the day of. Who knew a cruise would be this much work?

We are back in at the San Juan Water and Beach Club Hotel, next to the Intercontinental. Talked to manager directly, they have one tower up and running and expect the second one by the middle of the month. So we are sticking with this until we hear otherwise. Worst comes to worst we rent a van and sleep in it for a night. Something I had done in college but not lately.