Have you stayed at Fort Lauderdale's Pier 66 since the hotel's re-branding?

rkacruiser

We had stayed there many times pre-cruise, and had a tower reservation confirmed when it was still a Hyatt. In reading reviews, we discovered the tower is still closed post-hurricane, but they hadn't been informing anybody in advance. On arrival, they were putting guests in marina rooms without adjusting the rate for the downgrade. We cancelled. The reviews on TripAdvisor are essentially terrible.

I have been checking availability and rates for this hotel, but I have never found room available at the High tower type.

What is required to reserve one of these rooms with a view to the cruise ships?

What dates are you looking at?

Apparently, according to the review on TA, a lot of the tower rooms were ruined in the hurricane, and not available. But wasn't that hurricane last, what, September? Early October? and they would leave those $$$ making rooms unavailable for 5/6 months. A lot of the most current reviews talk about the property looking old and outdated, front desk understaffed, The managers name is listed in responses in the reviews. My suggestion would be to call the manager directly and tell her you want a port facing balcony room in the tower and see what she says. IF you could get it it still would cost you bucks. We leave in two weeks, and I was thinking about sending off an email, just to see what kind of response I get.

OH because, the last time we stayed there, we stayed a few days, our son and daughter in law stayed one night. The desk clerk put a $1500 hold on my credit card, we couldn't find our room, went back down, someone came back up with us and couldn't find the room either.....only to find out a "mystery" door, was our room......it had NO number

AND.....if you can, sneak up to the top of the tower, unless there is an event going on, no one is usually there and you can get a great view of Ft Lauderdale and the port.

Edited by myfuzzy

The tower is still not open due to the hurricane damage. The hurricane was in September but depending on what they are doing, the amount of damage they had and whether or not they need hurricane glass windows as replacements will decide when they re-open. My condo on Brickell is just getting our cracked windows replaced starting next week!!

I have friends staying there Saturday prior to their Regal cruise and will be visiting them. I'll report back after to see what they thought about it.

I have friends staying there Saturday prior to their Regal cruise and will be visiting them. I'll report back after to see what they thought about it.

Me too!

Yes, the reviews ARE terrible, awaiting your report too!

Disappointing to learn from another poster's comments that the Top of the Tower is still not open to the public other than for special events. For me, that was an important feature of Hyatt Pier 66 when they had the cocktail lounge is service. It was, and I think still is, unique among Fort Lauderdale hotels.

That is such sad news. The tower rooms were wonderful for seeing ships come in early in the morning and the Top was a great place for cocktails.

I remember the Coco Palms resort in Kauai, how luxurious and charming it was, and how derelict it was years after the hurricane. Hyatt was supposed to restore it, but I’ll bet it didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That is such sad news. The tower rooms were wonderful for seeing ships come in early in the morning and the Top was a great place for cocktails.

I remember the Coco Palms resort in Kauai, how luxurious and charming it was, and how derelict it was years after the hurricane. Hyatt was supposed to restore it, but I’ll bet it didn’t happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for your post. You mentioned Coco Palms Resort that was destroyed due to a hurricane. I remember attending their evening dinner ceremony/event in 1985 (did not stay there). 2015, my tour visited the sorry to see site. The guide said that plans had been started to restore the Resort. I Googled Coco Palms tonight and the property is being restored. Sometime this year it will re-open from what I read on the web site.

Might well be a reason for another return to our Aloha State to experience Coco Palms.

I never had a Tower Room, but for the owners of Pier 66 to discount the guest friendly importance of the Top of the Tower Lounge seemed very ignorant to me.

Me too!

Yes, the reviews ARE terrible, awaiting your report too!

Disappointing to learn from another poster's comments that the Top of the Tower is still not open to the public other than for special events. For me, that was an important feature of Hyatt Pier 66 when they had the cocktail lounge is service. It was, and I think still is, unique among Fort Lauderdale hotels.

Apparently, to what information I can find the Top of the Tower closed in 2005....only since then open just for events....shame

• 2 weeks later...

I booked at this hotel last August using credit card points. So essentially a free room, but had I known about the problems then I would have picked a different hotel. The reviews currently are mixed. A lot of people seem to be giving a negative response based on this being an outdated hotel. I'm only going to be at the hotel from 4pm to 10am so essentially a place to sleep so I'm not too pressed about that.

Ok, we didn't end up seeing the hotel ourselves due to my friend being ill. I did speak to her and kathy enjoyed her stay. They had a good first impression and then a good stay. She said they wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

As she is still cruising, I haven't been able to discuss the hotel with her in depth but will upon her return.

Ok, we didn't end up seeing the hotel ourselves due to my friend being ill. I did speak to her and kathy enjoyed her stay. They had a good first impression and then a good stay. She said they wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

As she is still cruising, I haven't been able to discuss the hotel with her in depth but will upon her return.

Thank you for the information. I have not booked anything as yet, so it is still a possibility.