Mother/Daughter 1st Cruise

T.Swift

Hi all :) I am perusing through the threads looking for advice for our first cruise. Any information on transportation from the Long Beach airport to the port would be appreciated. Our plane lands at 11:44 With a cruise departure of 4:30. We are not planning on taking part of the excursions but would rather shop and take in the beaches on our own. The ports of call are Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. Once at port are the beaches and shops with in easy walking distance or do you have to take a cab?

Thank you in advance. :)

Cruised that itinerary several times in the early 2000's ....Cabo and Puerto Vallarta...yes. Matzalan if I recall we docked in a more industrial area and the town was a few miles away. In Puerto Vallarta if you look behind the ship you will see a Super walmart lol

In Puerto Vallarta you can take a taxi and ask him to drop you off at the Malecon. There is a Boardwalk with lots of shops to browse and there are several sculptures along the Malecon to view. There are some beach access areas along the Malecon, but we found the beach was nicer if you walked across the bridge at the end of the Malecon. There are hotels across the bridge that have beach bars/restaurants and a nice beach. If you are interested, there is a large church a couple of blocks off the Malecon that is interesting to see. Also, if your ship is in port in the evening, Rhythms of the Night is an excellent show - just make sure you will be back before your ship sails.

Hi all :) I am perusing through the threads looking for advice for our first cruise. Any information on transportation from the Long Beach airport to the port would be appreciated. Our plane lands at 11:44 With a cruise departure of 4:30. We are not planning on taking part of the excursions but would rather shop and take in the beaches on our own. The ports of call are Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. Once at port are the beaches and shops with in easy walking distance or do you have to take a cab?

Thank you in advance. :)

Lyft or uber.

To get from Long Beach to the port.

You can take Uber or Lyft, a taxi or even arrange for a private car such as execucar at http://www.execucar.com

I have to say that I don't like the idea of flying in the day of the cruise because should there be a big delay or cancellation you could miss the ship.

You will need to be on board 90 minutes prior to the start of the cruise.

Keith

There is no worry about leaving the ship in any of the ports!!

Puerto Vallarta is our favorite but we do take a taxi to the malecon(mah-leh-cone) and walk along the ocean looking at shops and statues. I agree that the beach area after the little bridge is the place to stop.

In Mazatlan you can walk from the ship to the water taxi area to go to Stone Island. There will be English speaking people who spend the winter (from Canada and the USA) waiting to answer questions after you leave the dock area. They will point the way for you. Everyone takes a shuttle to the exit of the dock area where you walk through a store and then you'll see the people who can answer questions.

Cabo is a tender port where you take a small boat from the cruise ship to the local dock. There are beach areas right there.

Thank you all for your replies :) The beach areas around the ports are they swimable? Sandy beaches or rocky? I live in Northern California and I am always running into tourist that are expecting our beaches to be like the beaches they see of Southern California.

There is no worry about leaving the ship in any of the ports!!

Puerto Vallarta is our favorite but we do take a taxi to the malecon(mah-leh-cone) and walk along the ocean looking at shops and statues. I agree that the beach area after the little bridge is the place to stop.

In Mazatlan you can walk from the ship to the water taxi area to go to Stone Island. There will be English speaking people who spend the winter (from Canada and the USA) waiting to answer questions after you leave the dock area. They will point the way for you. Everyone takes a shuttle to the exit of the dock area where you walk through a store and then you'll see the people who can answer questions.

Cabo is a tender port where you take a small boat from the cruise ship to the local dock. There are beach areas right there.

That sounds perfect :) Approximately what should we expect to pay for the water taxi and any other fees should we be aware of?

Here's a good description of the walk from the port to the water taxi.

http://www.homebasedtravelagent.com/articles/stoneisland/

In 2016 it was 30 pesos which is about $1.56 USA so maybe they'd charge you $2 even if you don't have pesos, not sure about that.

In Puerto Vallarta we walk outside of the port area to the corner where there is a gas station. The taxis you see there are less expensive than the ones right at the port. We often have pesos because we live near the border but for USA $$s it will be about $8 for the 2 of you to the malecon. Discuss price before you get into any taxi.

Exactly! I always go Eastern Caribbean. Too many problems in Mexico.

Had more issues on our cruises and land trips to the Caribbean than any of our cruises to Mexico. Mom walks all over, at times by herself. We go to the mercados for lunch.

Had more issues on our cruises and land trips to the Caribbean than any of our cruises to Mexico. Mom walks all over, at times by herself. We go to the mercados for lunch.

You might want to call Trump and have them take Mexico off the Travel Alert list. ;)

You might want to actually read the travel alert!

"Mexico " is not on the list.

CERTAIN areas of certain cities are on the list.

The ports mentioned in this thread are NOT on the list.

Reading through the alert and not just the headlines would show you that.