Old guy, solo, NCL studio lounge

kochleffel

My first cruise will be this spring, on NCL booked into a studio cabin. I have two fears, one neurotic and the other, sadly, likely to be real. Both pertain to the studio lounge. I'm a 60-something man.

The neurotic one: I suspect that most studios will be occupied by much younger travelers (the women know, close to my age and who might go on a cruise, would all want more luxurious accommodations). My fear is that, if I visit the studio lounger, younger passengers will resent my presence.

The likely-real one: I suspect even more strongly that if I were to enter the studio lounge while a woman was alone there, she would immediately get up and leave, because it's too secluded to risk being alone with a strange man. (Am I calling myself strange? I suppose so.) I don't expect to spend much time there, but it's reputed to have the best free coffee on the ship. Maybe I should say as I walk in, "Just getting coffee," grab it, and leave. I would probably take the coffee somewhere else to drink anyway.

Anyone have relevant experience?

As a woman I cannot see any reason why a woman would get up and leave simply because a bloke walks in. I have travelled all over the world for decades - solo - since I was 15. I don't care about the age or gender of the people I encounter along the way.

I think your neurosis is controlling your opinions and hence your intended actions. Just go where you want and do what you want and strike up a chat with anyone who looks like they too want to chat, or be as solo as you want. Breathe !!!!

As far as age goes solos run the gamut from 30’s to 60’s or even older do have no fear that you will be the oldest in the group. And I think when in the solo lounge people are there to mingle and have fun.

Also unless you are a scary looking guy I don’t think you have to worry about women leaving the solo lounge because you’ve come in for coffee. Don’t sweat it. You’ll have a great time no matter the age of the people you meet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likely depends some what on the itinerary on what the age ranges are going to lean more towards and timing. March in the Caribbean will likely be younger solos than others.

And being a young-ish female traveller, I wouldn't automatically be scared if you came in. More likely to strike up a conversation and I'm generally more of an introvert. But you'd be younger than most of the people I'm often chatting with. [emoji6]

My first cruise will be this spring, on NCL booked into a studio cabin. I have two fears, one neurotic and the other, sadly, likely to be real. Both pertain to the studio lounge. I'm a 60-something man.

The neurotic one: I suspect that most studios will be occupied by much younger travelers (the women know, close to my age and who might go on a cruise, would all want more luxurious accommodations). My fear is that, if I visit the studio lounger, younger passengers will resent my presence.

The likely-real one: I suspect even more strongly that if I were to enter the studio lounge while a woman was alone there, she would immediately get up and leave, because it's too secluded to risk being alone with a strange man. (Am I calling myself strange? I suppose so.) I don't expect to spend much time there, but it's reputed to have the best free coffee on the ship. Maybe I should say as I walk in, "Just getting coffee," grab it, and leave. I would probably take the coffee somewhere else to drink anyway.

I am a 30yo woman who has been on 4 solo cruises on NCL in the solo studios. Here is my experience for what its worth...

1. Solo studios attract a very wide range of ages. From 24 year olds to 82 year olds..... i know i met both of these people on various cruises. Also there is generally a even range of males and females too.... you certainly wont be the only guy there.

Of my various solo cruises i have befriended people of various ages....including a lovely 82yo lady who had some amazing stories, a 62yo grandmother who partied with me til 1am and a lovely gent in his 60s i believe (though his age never came up). The latter was like you, very concious of the fact that he was an older gentleman with a fair few younger females - he was polite and spoke to us and even though he wanted to go dancing etc would stay away from us for fear of being mis-construed as creepy. Needless to say by the end of the cruise he lightened up and realised that he had nothing to fear and we were all more than happy for him to hang with us, dance with us and have as much fun as we were.

2. No women are going to leave just because you are in the solo lounge. During the daytimes its generally quiet and livens up at the solo gathering daily. The solo host will do introductions and organise you all for dinner and other activities.... join in - even if its just for dinner... you might even make a friend or 20!

Nobody is going to assume you are some creepy old guy just because you are in the solo studios.... and you certainly wont be the oldest person there. I have found the solo groups to be very accepting of all people. Go with an open mind and you will get along fine. You are going to have a spectacular cruise - enjoy it!

Which ship will you be cruising on?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Forums mobile app

You will find a wide range of ages in the studios on NCL. Surprisingly there are more 50+ people than younger ones. Probably because the older people tend to travel solo more often. As far as the lounge, I find that there is rarely anyone sitting in there, instead people go in grab a beverage or snack and go somewhere else. Depending on the ship you are on the lounge is really not very inviting, at least that is my opinion.

Just to be safe I suggest doing what I do:

1) Hit up the post-Christmas sales and acquire enough jingle bells to attach to any shoes and/or flip flops. Like deer, young women are known for their keen hearing, and the bells will help alert them as you approach.

2) Find an old-timey movie director's bullhorn. In a pinch a rolled-up Freestyle Daily or similar programming schedule will suffice. While propping the door to the lounge open with your foot, use your makeshift amplifier to announce that you will be entering the room in 30 seconds.

3) Print up flyers with your picture and a simple message that you simply intend to enter the Studio Lounge to acquire coffee and/or pastries and you mean no harm. Slip the room attendant for the Studios $10 to include these inserts in the first night's Freestyle Dailies.

4) Be yourself. You're on vacation and (just like I often find myself) are too far in your own head. I've done several solo cruises and in my experience anyone who shows up gets included in the fun, regardless of age. Anyone who resents an old guy enjoying his vacation in the spaces that he paid for in his cruise fare has their own issues.

Have fun and Bon Voyage!

I want to encourage you not to worry about this as in the 3 cruises I was on that had studios people were in age from 30's to 70's. You will most certainly be welcomed by others. There will be other solo people that will be very happy to have others to talk to- that was my experience.

Just to be safe I suggest doing what I do:

1) Hit up the post-Christmas sales and acquire enough jingle bells to attach to any shoes and/or flip flops. Like deer, young women are known for their keen hearing, and the bells will help alert them as you approach.

2) Find an old-timey movie director's bullhorn. In a pinch a rolled-up Freestyle Daily or similar programming schedule will suffice. While propping the door to the lounge open with your foot, use your makeshift amplifier to announce that you will be entering the room in 30 seconds.

3) Print up flyers with your picture and a simple message that you simply intend to enter the Studio Lounge to acquire coffee and/or pastries and you mean no harm. Slip the room attendant for the Studios $10 to include these inserts in the first night's Freestyle Dailies.

4) Be yourself. You're on vacation and (just like I often find myself) are too far in your own head. I've done several solo cruises and in my experience anyone who shows up gets included in the fun, regardless of age. Anyone who resents an old guy enjoying his vacation in the spaces that he paid for in his cruise fare has their own issues.

Have fun and Bon Voyage!

I will carefully and faithfully do everything that you recommend, except that Christmas bells are already gone from the stores here.

Just be sure to say a cheery HELLO or GOOD MORNING when you enter and have a smile on your face. Their reaction will give you an idea if they are open to a chat or not. Last year there were two buddies from Australia who were in their 60's staying in the studios (this was on the Getaway). :)

I will carefully and faithfully do everything that you recommend, except that Christmas bells are already gone from the stores here.

It its anything like Australian stores they will be on sale again by February "in the lead up to christmas" - a retail period that seems to extend out to about 11 months these days!

I've been on many cruises 30+ solo and one thing I can tell you is no two cruises are alike. You can't predict anything. I always go into any trip without any expectations and board the ship will a positive attitude and a big smile on my face. I think your fears are unfounded and I think you are overthinking things a tad too much. This cruise is suppose to be a fun and relaxing vacation. Not a job interview or dating event. As far of the going into the studio lounge and finding a solo women there, I'm going to assume she's in there to meet and socialize with others. She might be thrilled to have someone talk with her. I hardly believe she or anyone would be so rude to take one look at you and leave. If she does - oh well. Too bad; so sad for her. Just move on. Other people have just the same fears and anxiety as you do so don't always take there rejection too personally. Just don't go into the lounge until you see a bunch of people in there. I would assume cocktail time is around 5-6PM. Also remember that beautiful is skin deep and age is just a number. Ultimately people judge you your sincerity and personality. I've found older people far more interesting due to their life experiences and maturity with younger folks boring and uninteresting. Just my two cents.

I was in a studio on a transatlantic. I did not see "young" people. At 50+, I felt like I was one of the youngest people in the studios. I was often in the lounge reading and there were many times when I was there by myself. I did not get up or leave when men came in -- even the quirky looking ones. Enjoy yourself. I did.

I did a studio not long ago. We ranged from probably mid-20s to maybe 70s. I'd say most people were in their 30s and 40s. Of course, studios include all sorts of people, including those traveling with larger groups who don't hang out with the other solos. There was no sense of age discrimination in the group. People went to meals together as a large group, and certain people sort of paired off in their own ways. One woman was the sort everyone found easy to talk to and was good at keeping track of who everyone was. She sort of "took care" of the woman in her 70s (?)--found her a quiet spot to sit and read and stuff. A couple guys in their 50s hung out in the brewery together.

I don't think there was anything weird about running into other people in the lounge apart from the usual socially awkward moments, like if you didn't want to run into anyone because you didn't have to want to explain why you were joining them that evening (that's me, heh) or not knowing how much to talk to people who came in that you weren't familiar with already. As I say, just the normal stuff. Nothing male-female. Personally, I didn't find it that great a place to hang out. Either I wanted to be up top or at a bar or in my cabin, playing on my iPad in my night clothes. :-)

I've stayed in the studios a number of times. There will be guests of all ages starting at 21. There's no way to predict how it will skew on your cruise, but no one is going to resent you in being there. As for a lady exiting the lounge, I imagine there are paranoid people that might, but the lounge isn't secluded and there are people in and out all the time. And, by design, it is restricted to people sailing in the studios. My advice, don't worry about any of this and go enjoy your cruise!

60yo single male here cruised solo 14 times on 4 different cruise lines including NCL Epic studio and I agree that cruising is what you make it. Most people are very friendly to me and nobody has ever run out of a room in fear when I walked in (that I know of)!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the post, I'm the reverse actually. I'm 90% convinced myself to book a solo studio Baltic cruise. I'm a male aged 32 and worried there would be no people my age.. I prefer to travel alone but it's always an adventure to meet new groups of people. But I worried I'd be the youngest there.. I guess after reading this, maybe not.

Aw man, don't feel that way! I am 35 and just did my 1st solo cruise, and the other solo cruisers I met along the way varied in ages (men and women). Breakfast was great because I was up early (my body didn't adjust to the time zone change at all) and sat right next to an older, retired gentleman who was also up early. He sheepishly looked over at me and then back to his coffee. As soon as I got my coffee I made a general attempt to speak to him about how good it was - just kind of feeling out if he wanted to even be bothered with a conversation or not. He looked kind of relieved that I wanted to talk :-) He ended up telling me all the fascinating cruises he'd been on over the years with his late wife. He was a wonderful person and I'm glad we met that day.

I hope your spring cruise is wonderful. I have heard great things about NCL and actually want to try them very soon, just for that experience of meeting other solo cruisers.

I agree with most all the replies I've read here...although I started skimming after a while...so I may have missed it if anyone recommended this: Make sure to go to the solo/singles "meet up" the first evening. Generally a host/cruise director staff will facilitate introductions, offer to make dinner/show reservations, etc... In my experience attendance at these daily meet ups/happy hours trails off as the cruise goes on and people start hanging out with people they've met, etc... And as mentioned by others, very wide age range on all my studio cruises and rarely many people hanging out in the lounge anyways.