Some??? About Norwegian Jewel

Hoping for some help.

At the moment I’m trying to not book onboard extras.

So can I purchase once we board

Dining package (for a 7 night cruise I doubt we wil want it by the time we try MDR, buffet, Asian, grill)

Soft drink package (do we both have to get it)

Bottled water.

Mrs Gut wants to know what the shielas were wearing down under freestyle.

From my experience you may not need to bother with paying for a dining experience - the options were varied. The main dining room with Russian influence décor was exceptional and food very good. We were happy with the other options as we did not always feel the need for a three course meal. The small buffet on the back deck was a great spot for a snack after being ashore all day.

Can't remember re bottled water - we had the free alcohol as an added bonus with our booking - so can't answer your question re soft drink package either. Sorry.

As for dress code - there was none. I saw couples dancing late at night in shorts and thongs. I felt quite comfortable in my usual "cruise clothes" of slacks and pretty tops of a night. Did not feel overdressed, but you can go the other way and wear just about anything that you feel comfortable in. Men certainly don't need to pack a coat and tie.

The entertainment choices were wonderful - I think I counted at least 5 different venues every night were you could listen to music or go to a show. Fabulous.

Was my first cruise on Norwegian and was impressed. I have cruised most lines (totally more than 45 cruises) and would go on Norwegian in a heartbeat. My friend and I were trying not to compare - but each night we said "well that was another day of plusses" - no negatives came to mind.

Thanks PacificLover for your detailed answer.

I haven't cruised as much as you but I am too trying to cruise all the mainstream cruise lines which cruise out of Australia.

Entertainment choices and food quality are very important to us. Good to hear they both get a thumbs up.

From my experience you may not need to bother with paying for a dining experience - the options were varied. The main dining room with Russian influence décor was exceptional and food very good. We were happy with the other options as we did not always feel the need for a three course meal. The small buffet on the back deck was a great spot for a snack after being ashore all day.

Can't remember re bottled water - we had the free alcohol as an added bonus with our booking - so can't answer your question re soft drink package either. Sorry.

As for dress code - there was none. I saw couples dancing late at night in shorts and thongs. I felt quite comfortable in my usual "cruise clothes" of slacks and pretty tops of a night. Did not feel overdressed, but you can go the other way and wear just about anything that you feel comfortable in. Men certainly don't need to pack a coat and tie.

The entertainment choices were wonderful - I think I counted at least 5 different venues every night were you could listen to music or go to a show. Fabulous.

Was my first cruise on Norwegian and was impressed. I have cruised most lines (totally more than 45 cruises) and would go on Norwegian in a heartbeat. My friend and I were trying not to compare - but each night we said "well that was another day of plusses" - no negatives came to mind.

Thank you for such a detailed answer, we were booked to go on her last year too, but had to cancel.

Looking forward to trying something new.

Hoping for some help.

Dining package (for a 7 night cruise I doubt we wil want it by the time we try MDR, buffet, Asian, grill)

Bottled water.

Have sailed on many NCL cruises but none out of Australia. Both guests in a stateroom do not have to get the soda package. You can no longer bring bottled water aboard but a bottled water package is available or you can purchase it a bottle at a time.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Hoping for some help.

Bottled water.

The massive bonus for you and Mrs Gut is that the worlds best and " your favourite" check in agent will be there to make sure everything goes smoothly for your embark ( no tip required 😂😂)

Have sailed on many NCL cruises but none out of Australia. Both guests in a stateroom do not have to get the soda package. You can no longer bring bottled water aboard but a bottled water package is available or you can purchase it a bottle at a time.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Thank you.

Is the bottled water package available after boarding or only ore book?

The massive bonus for you and Mrs Gut is that the worlds best and " your favourite" check in agent will be there to make sure everything goes smoothly for your embark ( no tip required 😂)

Wow.

Cathy from Princess will be there??? ;p Who knew that:p

:cool:

Hoping for some help.

I can't answer for others but i would think underpants would be a requirement, although freestyle may imply going commando:eek:

Smart casual will be fine for the ship.

For cruises from Australian ports do Norwegian include the gratuities in their fares or are these an additional charge once on board ...thanks

Depends if you have booked through an Australian TA/NCL online Australian website and chosen to include the DSC. Usually it is be added to the booking to pay up front.

Australians also don't have the 20% gratuity added on top of the beverage and dining packages.

Hoping for some help.

Bottled water.

The drink dispensers in the buffet areas include water and ice, lemonade and two flavoured waters (no sugar). Take an empty bottle to refill using cups of water rather than buying. Tap water is also drinkable.

We liked using the aft outside buffet for breakfast rather than the busy main buffet.

O'Sheahans on deck 8 is open nearly 24 hours and is a favourite for any meal. MDR aft, Tzars, requires men to wear long trousers at night, but the mid ships MDR allows shorts. Same menu, but more casual. I usually wore 3/4 slacks and a pretty blouse to both. My late husband hated having to take a jacket cruising, so he was happy with NCL's freestyle and liked Jewel's range of venues. He would wear slacks or jeans with a collared shirt or polo top.

Not having to book for the MDR means you can decide where you eat as you go, especially welcome after a long shore excursion.

I hope your 7-night cruise includes "Burn the Floor", a great show.

My adult son is coming with me on Jewel on December 1st; his first cruise. The drink package swayed him!

The drink dispensers in the buffet areas include water and ice, lemonade and two flavoured waters (no sugar). Take an empty bottle to refill using cups of water rather than buying. Tap water is also drinkable.

We liked using the aft outside buffet for breakfast rather than the busy main buffet.

O'Sheahans on deck 8 is open nearly 24 hours and is a favourite for any meal. MDR aft, Tzars, requires men to wear long trousers at night, but the mid ships MDR allows shorts. Same menu, but more casual. I usually wore 3/4 slacks and a pretty blouse to both. My late husband hated having to take a jacket cruising, so he was happy with NCL's freestyle and liked Jewel's range of venues. He would wear slacks or jeans with a collared shirt or polo top.

Not having to book for the MDR means you can decide where you eat as you go, especially welcome after a long shore excursion.

I hope your 7-night cruise includes "Burn the Floor", a great show.

My adult son is coming with me on Jewel on December 1st; his first cruise. The drink package swayed him!

I know the water is fine, Mrs Gut likes bottled water and you know what they say about a happy wife. So if I can snag some bottled water, I shall.

Looks like you’re getting off as we get on.

Is there much wait for any of the restaurants.

We have pretty much decided we won’t do any of the specialty restaurants, seems plenty of options included.

Like the look of the outside buffet, O’shanasseys and the Asian (that’s three nights gone to start with) I’m not much of a shorts wearer for eating out so trousers will be fine, Mrs Gut will also be happy with slacks/skirt and top.

I know the water is fine, Mrs Gut likes bottled water and you know what they say about a happy wife. So if I can snag some bottled water, I shall.

Looks like you’re getting off as we get on.

Is there much wait for any of the restaurants.

We have pretty much decided we won’t do any of the specialty restaurants, seems plenty of options included.

Like the look of the outside buffet, O’shanasseys and the Asian (that’s three nights gone to start with) I’m not much of a shorts wearer for eating out so trousers will be fine, Mrs Gut will also be happy with slacks/skirt and top.

Plenty of dining options, so you don't need to pay extra.

We never seemed to wait long at Tzars. There is a separate queue for booked tables and walk-ins. The latter has a slightly longer wait, but that made time for a chat with fellow cruisers. The other MDR has a lower ceiling and can feel claustrophobic. I couldn't get over seeing shorts worn at dinner there, but it's a choice. In January there was just three of us with my husband and my mother. This time we are a party of 8, so booking a table will be necessary.

You will learn not to go down before going up! It takes a while to remember the decks don't go through on the same level as the MDRs, which means an extra pre-dinner stroll.

We had the usual filter coffee at dinner and didn't buy speciality coffees. NCL might have a coffee card? I saw cappuccinos at the central cafe for around US$1.95-$2.50 + gratuity (now 20%). We had the drinks package, so enjoyed an occasional Irish coffee instead.

Edited by Port Power

• 2 weeks later...
That would depend on what time you board :D

Your friend "Cathy" may be be able to get you on early.;p

No idea yet, guess it will depend if we come down the day before or on the day.

Any idea what time they are normally ready, she is debating going just carry on.

No idea yet, guess it will depend if we come down the day before or on the day.

Any idea what time they are normally ready, she is debating going just carry on.

I know this may be hard for you to believe, but no ...I do not know. 😱 I could find out on the 1st Dec when she does her first turn, if that helps

I know this may be hard for you to believe, but no ...I do not know. 😱 I could find out on the 1st Dec when she does her first turn, if that helps

I am guessing boarding will be around 11.30am, cabins ready at 1pm.