Help-First Time Cruiser

xbriannao

Hello!

I'm trying to help out a friend who has never cruised before. I know there is a first time cruisers board on here, but she is extremely busy and doesn't have time to read every thread in it. What would be your advice to a first time cruiser? I've told her little things as I think of them, but you all have a ton of experience. What would you tell her?

She's going on the Conquest, out of Fort Lauderdale, to Nassau and Half Moon Cay (4 day).

Thanks in advance!

Make a packing list of the clothes she would like to wear each day and don't overpack.

Bring small bills to tip porters, room service, and others.

One bottle of wine per 21 year old is allowed. Take advantage of that.

12 cans of beverage allowed per person. Take advantage of that as well, whether it be soda, flavored fizzy waters, juices.

Bring a sweater or wrap because it is quite chilly in the dining rooms and in the showrooms.

Lots more - but will see what others have to say.

And above all, leave your cares behind and have a wonderful time!

1. Make a realistic packing list.

2. Bring sensible clothes that can be worn multiple times in different ensembles.

3. Shoes: Daytime shoes, sneakers, dinner or dress shoes. No more than those three. No need for a different color for each item worn.

4. Bring binoculars if you're sightseeing.

5. Make sure to keep your phone on "airplane" mode.

6. Don't forget your passport.

7. Bring small bills ($1 or $2) for tips.

8. Carry your luggage on, if possible. Can't get lost or misplaced.

9. One bottle of wine or champagne (750 ml) per person to be carried on.

10. Don't let other people's negative experience influence your experience. Go with an open mind. Enjoy!

OT

This is a real bummer. I've been on CC for years and years with a high thread count. They logged me out and I don't know the email they are using, I've used my email for years and they say it's different. Had to relog in and lost all my posts.

Bring clothes that are comfortable at the beginning of the cruise and that will also be comfortable with an additional 7 lbs at the end of the cruise. Cant say how many times I bring clothes that fit well at embarkation day, then day 7 nothing fits right because I'm bloated and up 7-10 lbs. So now, ALL comfy clothes.

OT

This is a real bummer. I've been on CC for years and years with a high thread count. They logged me out and I don't know the email they are using, I've used my email for years and they say it's different. Had to relog in and lost all my posts.

I was able to bring my old account back! Hope it stays on.

Hi Op

Your friend is going to be fine.

4 days pretty short cruise, two beach days. Tell your friend not to miss the ship. That's all I can think of. For 4c days don't overthink it. :D

don't book early shore excursions, relax, order room service, have some coffee on the balcony. We try and arrange 10am shore excursions. You walk right off the ship, no lines. Some of our best shore trips is taking a taxi from the port. We have never had a bad experience. He will take us all over the island and even stop and snorkel, they always wait. We usually buy him lunch at a local place he recommends. We usually pay about $50 for 4-5 hours for both of us.

Bring 2 pair of slacks or capri, with different shirts to wear in dining room. Nightlight for inside cabins is a plus. Set your tv channel to ships camera and you will know when its daylight. Bring different colored highlighters and each person can highlight activities on the fun times that they don't want to miss. Use Verizon gift cards to save 10%. Cheers if you drink moderate or heavy. Put small denominations (and large if you gamble) in envelopes and label for each day for tips, etc. Keep them in room safe. This helps to keep you on budget. Relax, have fun, and don't over do it.

Bring a couple of pairs of slacks that you can mix and max shirts with for dining room. Nightlight in inside cabin is a plus. Set Tv channel to ships outside camera so you will know when its daylight. Bring several colored highlighters so each person in room can highlight things they don't want to miss on fun times. Bring OTC meds and bonine just in case. Place each days budgeted money (include small bills for tipping, etc) in envelopes specified for each day and leave in room safe until that day helps keep you on a budget. Use Verizon gift cards to save 10%. Relax and have fun.

Hello!

I'm trying to help out a friend who has never cruised before. I know there is a first time cruisers board on here, but she is extremely busy and doesn't have time to read every thread in it. What would be your advice to a first time cruiser? I've told her little things as I think of them, but you all have a ton of experience. What would you tell her?

She's going on the Conquest, out of Fort Lauderdale, to Nassau and Half Moon Cay (4 day).

Thanks in advance!

Have her send an email to glitterysquirrel@gmail.com. I can email her a PDF I created for first time Carnival cruisers. :)

Great tips! Anything else? Or other things she may not know? For example, Carnival didn't make her aware of any elegant nights, however I knew she would have one on her cruise so I told her to bring one nice outfit to wear to dinner that night.

I'd tell her to just go with the flow and expect some minor annoyances along the way, but not let such things ruin an otherwise great vacation. If lines and crowds are not her thing, tell her to look at the fun times schedules and plan on going a little bit before or after the time she thinks everyone else will want to go. That theory has worked for me.

Go and be happy - one doesn't have to know everything about cruising prior to sail date, and sometimes there is plenty of fun to be found by exploring the ship. I advise newbies to stick with Carnival excursions until they learn the ports, unless they have been to them before on land vacays.

And I would say to discount all the advice here, inc. my own, and just tailor to your needs.

Thanks again! She's pretty excited, and I'm trying not to tell her things like what to do or not to do. I still want her to enjoy the freedom of cruising, but I don't want her blindsided by things. For example, she didn't know there would be an elegant night so I made sure she knew that so she could enjoy it if she wanted (and not be embarrassed walking into the dining room with normal clothes on). She didn't know checking in early would be better than last minute (I think she thought it was like a hotel where you just check in when you get there). She wasn't sure about the ID and birth certificate/passport thing. (She planned on taking them just in case but she didn't know you needed both forms of ID to get on the boat).

Stuff like this I'm trying to help her out with so something doesn't happen and make her cruise stressful.

Is there anything else like this that she should know? I'm looking through the first time cruisers board and it's all "tips" and "tricks" to "maximizing your experience," but I'm not looking necessarily for tips, just for basic things that she may not already know.

• 2 weeks later...

It amazes me with all the information on the internet, that you can spend money on a vacation, and do no research about your investment. I know you say you want this information for a friend, and you have been given a ton of information-you have 111 posts, why not tell her about your cruise-and what you learned.

I find it so funny to read reviews by people that say that all the ship had to offer was bad buffet food, and they thought that was the only food included in the cost of the cruise. So they never ate in the MDR-who is your friend cruising with? that would also affect the answers that we give you-kids-kids club-girl friends-spa services-

my first cruise I knew nothing-I got on for a friends wedding-nothing planned at all-we got the Nassau, and I figured I could stay on the ship, or do something fun, heck I'm in the Bahamas, went snorkeling-had a blast, our sea day on the way back to the states, I sat on the balcony and watched the flying fish, and the islands go by, and I was hooked on cruising.

you know your friend, not so much what does she need to know, but what do you think she might want to know-

best tip I got on my first cruise-you can order seconds in the MDR, and someone told me about cruise critic:D

It amazes me with all the information on the internet, that you can spend money on a vacation, and do no research about your investment. D

I agree with marsh - my first advice when asked this question is to go to Cruise Critic and read up on as much info as you can!

Sent from my iPad using Forums