• See a soccer game
    • Visit the surrounding countryside
    • Beatles stuff
    • Shopping
    • Hop On Hop Off Bus Tour
    • Williamson Tunnels
    • Research Family History
    • Other - Please post details

Other posters are correct - the museum gives a good overview of the history of the Beatles and if that fit's your time frame, I'm sure you'd enjoy it. As previously mentioned you can walk from there to other Beatles associated attractions. However, if you really want to see the actual places a tour is the only way to go. I would say that whoever is giving the tour and doing the commentary would make a huge difference since really you are going to be just looking at places - the outside of Paul McCartney's house in Forthlin Road, the gates of Strawberry Field, and Penny Lane which is just a busy street with locals going about their business. A good tour guide should be able to make it all come alive for you.

As regards train tickets it's just a maze! I live in the US but travel home a couple of times a year and often go into London to see friends. I never bother with the two for one tickets or railcards because they all seem to be based on paying an annual fee, so if you were resident and used the service often it would probably work well. As a one off trip - not so much. I do use an Oyster card in and around London however, since it is much easier than having to keep stopping to buy tickets. They can be used on buses (although I just use them for the tube) but are only good inside the London area - you couldn't use it to get to Liverpool. So my advice would be to go for the cheapest ticket you can get for a one way return trip.

Do you have a particular day/date for your trip? If you google Trainline UK you can get a five day overview of ticket prices which shows the cheapest/most expensive days and times.

amias

Thanks for coming back and still answering my questions! I agree about what we will see and using a guide. We have to decide f the cost of going to Liverpool is best in the big picture.

We will be in London May 13 thru 20th, but we disembark in Southhampton on May 13, and fly home at about noon on May 20th. I set some alerts for when advance fares were available on May 16th, just as a placeholder. We don't really care when we go!

Sorry, forgot about the London Travelcard. If you are there for a week and plan to use it every day than that's probably a better option than Oyster. Since I am only there for a day at a time the Oyster works for me.

Ah, now this is interesting. From what I have red, the Travelcard may be a better option for us for the week we are in London, but I may be completely missing something. It seems like there is a better discount for a 1 week Travelcard (which we could get and use) vs an Oyster card. And we might not have to dal with getting back the deposit on an Oyster card? Can you explain this to me??? Please??? :D

Thx

ML

Yes, the London Travelcard is a better option for you if you are going to use it pretty much every day. The Oyster card works for me because I only go for a day at a time. You do have to pay a deposit (5 pounds UK) for the Oyster, but the money on it never expires so I just hang on to it and use it every visit. If travelers with an Oyster card are just using it while on vacation then the deposit is returnable but I think there is a timeline involved. If I were you, I'd definitely go with the Travelcard but again, it only works in the London area.

Just out of interest, who are you sailing with?

Yes, the London Travelcard is a better option for you if you are going to use it pretty much every day. The Oyster card works for me because I only go for a day at a time. You do have to pay a deposit (5 pounds UK) for the Oyster, but the money on it never expires so I just hang on to it and use it every visit. If travelers with an Oyster card are just using it while on vacation then the deposit is returnable but I think there is a timeline involved. If I were you, I'd definitely go with the Travelcard but again, it only works in the London area.

Just out of interest, who are you sailing with?

amias

Thanks. I am sure we will be using the tube every day, so maybe we'll get the Travelcard. Can we keep it after we leave and add money to it if we ever go back?

We are taking Princess, the Royal. It is a TA (out of Ft Lauderdale), to Southampton, followed by a cruise around the British Isles. A bucket list trip for us!

Thanks for your help

ML

I think this talk of travelcards etc would be better in a separate thread (or just look at the current one on this topic), rather than derailing TT's Liverpoool ideas thread.

But a Travelcard is very seldom better value than Oyster, and a weekly Travelcard bought from a tube station will be ON an Oyster card, so there appears to be some confusion here.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Had I known that there was already a thread regarding Travelcards then I would have suggested that the poster avail themselves of the information contained therein. Obviously, neither they, nor I, had any idea that such a thread existed or we would not be having this discussion.

The Travelcard is, indeed, based on an Oyster card but the difference is that an Oyster (as I use it, from day to day and often months apart) needs to be topped up as necessary, so for me only once or twice a trip. A Travelcard can be 'banked' for a week at a time while touring the London area thereby eliminating the need to top up periodically, which, in the case of a visitor to the City, can be one less thing with which to contend.

"Visit Britain' website re: Travelcard : 'Once you have your ticket, you get unlimited travel for a full day or week.. No need to use the ticket machines in the tube station or calculate how much credit you might need'. An easier option than calculating, and topping up, a regular Oyster card.

NoWhiners: Have a wonderful cruise, and I hope you get to Liverpool. We always enjoy a TA, last one was in August this year, both ways.

Had I known that there was already a thread regarding Travelcards then I would have suggested that the poster avail themselves of the information contained therein. Obviously, neither they, nor I, had any idea that such a thread existed or we would not be having this discussion.

The Travelcard is, indeed, based on an Oyster card but the difference is that an Oyster (as I use it, from day to day and often months apart) needs to be topped up as necessary, so for me only once or twice a trip. A Travelcard can be 'banked' for a week at a time while touring the London area thereby eliminating the need to top up periodically, which, in the case of a visitor to the City, can be one less thing with which to contend.

"Visit Britain' website re: Travelcard : 'Once you have your ticket, you get unlimited travel for a full day or week.. No need to use the ticket machines in the tube station or calculate how much credit you might need'. An easier option than calculating, and topping up, a regular Oyster card.

NoWhiners: Have a wonderful cruise, and I hope you get to Liverpool. We always enjoy a TA, last one was in August this year, both ways.

Amias

Thanks for your help. I don't think we took the thread too far off topic, but some people may be more rigid than us :) BTW, I did post to a thread that discussed the differences but no one ever responded to my questions, so I tried a different thread.

After reading about the travelcard, I came away understanding it the way you explained it--we would buy one for a period of time and covering the number of zones we needed, and just pay for it. I suppose it is possible we may pay more than needed but we really don't want to have to keep adding money to an Oyster card. Such a pain to have to stop at machines to top up, especially if you're tryig to get somewhere by a certain time.

After talking to DH, he is now not sure about going to Liverpool. It turns out what he wants to see that is Beatles related is in London; he isn't as interested in their boyhood homes, etc. But, we may still go just to check it out. It sounds lovely.

Thanks for all your help and the good wishes for our trip. I still can't believe DH went for a TA, he doesn't like sea days as much as me. And it was his idea. I would love to do a TA both ways, I am so jealous!

ML

Amias

Thanks for your help. I don't think we took the thread too far off topic, but some people may be more rigid than us :) BTW, I did post to a thread that discussed the differences but no one ever responded to my questions, so I tried a different thread.

ML

It's not a question of being "rigid", it's for good reasons:

- people who are searching threads for info will be able to find it more easily if it's in a relevant thread

- the local "experts" are more likely to look at a thread about their area of expertise

You did post in the thread I mentioned and actually Bob did respond.

With daily capping it's easy to work out the maximum amount you may spend on a pay-as-you-go Oyster over a given period, so absolutely no need to keep topping up. A weekly travelcard may be a good option if you are spending 5 or more days in a week travelling in London - as was outlined to you on the other thread, if you are looking to use the2FOR1 days out offers, you will need a paper travelcard, which are only available from National Rail stations, such as the main London stations.

It's not a question of being "rigid", it's for good reasons:

- people who are searching threads for info will be able to find it more easily if it's in a relevant thread

- the local "experts" are more likely to look at a thread about their area of expertise

You did post in the thread I mentioned and actually Bob did respond.

With daily capping it's easy to work out the maximum amount you may spend on a pay-as-you-go Oyster over a given period, so absolutely no need to keep topping up. A weekly travelcard may be a good option if you are spending 5 or more days in a week travelling in London - as was outlined to you on the other thread, if you are looking to use the2FOR1 days out offers, you will need a paper travelcard, which are only available from National Rail stations, such as the main London stations.

I was going to ignore this but since you seem intent on being the thread police, I will.

Yes, I asked a question about Oyster vs Travelcard and going to Liverpool. Bob answered with "just to add to the confusion, there are 2For1 deals...". So not really an answer to the 2 questions I posted (and which still haven't been answered even by you). They were:

So, what is a National Rail station? (Waterloo, Euston, Kings Cross, ???) Can I use this card on London tube?

Is there a better link for Liverpool rail/tours?

After no response to these questions to this point, I gave up and then found this thread where amias has been very helpful.

Thanks for your helpful information, not so much the rest. For eample, insulting my intelligence (and others who read this) by saying "..it's easy to work out the maximum amount you may spend...". Very condescending too. Many of your countrymen and women manage to answer these questions with much more grace and patience.

As I posted on the other thread, I'm sorry to ask all these questions but locals understand the system a lot better than US Tourists.

No need to reply, I won't be back on this thread.

Edited by NoWhiners
typos

• 2 months later...
I was going to ignore this but since you seem intent on being the thread police, I will.

Yes, I asked a question about Oyster vs Travelcard and going to Liverpool. Bob answered with "just to add to the confusion, there are 2For1 deals...". So not really an answer to the 2 questions I posted (and which still haven't been answered even by you). They were:

So, what is a National Rail station? (Waterloo, Euston, Kings Cross, ???) Can I use this card on London tube?

Is there a better link for Liverpool rail/tours?

After no response to these questions to this point, I gave up and then found this thread where amias has been very helpful.

Thanks for your helpful information, not so much the rest. For eample, insulting my intelligence (and others who read this) by saying "..it's easy to work out the maximum amount you may spend...". Very condescending too. Many of your countrymen and women manage to answer these questions with much more grace and patience.

As I posted on the other thread, I'm sorry to ask all these questions but locals understand the system a lot better than US Tourists.

No need to reply, I won't be back on this thread.

Sorry I'm late getting onto this. No excuses. Just been mad busy :(

Don't worry about it. Everyone's just trying to be helpful in their own way. Yes this thread's mainly about Liverpool, but what the heck? Come back any time you like and ask whatever you like. If we can help then we will, and if not, we'll try and direct you to somewhere that you can get your information. That goes for everyone. :):):)

Edited by Towncar T

Sorry I'm late getting onto this. No excuses. Just been mad busy :(

Don't worry about it. Everyone's just trying to be helpful in their own way. Yes this thread's mainly about Liverpool, but what the heck? Come back any time you like and ask whatever you like. If we can help then we will, and if not, we'll try and direct you to somewhere that you can get your information. That goes for everyone. :):):)

Hi Towncar

Completely understand about being busy, especially at the holidays. I wanted to thank you for all the helpful info (and all the others). We have had a mild change of plan. After reading about the Beatles in Liverpool and London, DH proclaimed he didn't need to go to Liverpool, the Beatles sites in London are more what he wants to see, so we have postponed Liverpool for another trip (which we will combine somehow with Paris). I will be paying attention to Travelcards and Opal cards to be sure I understand them both :)

Happy New Year

ML

Hi Towncar

Completely understand about being busy, especially at the holidays. I wanted to thank you for all the helpful info (and all the others). We have had a mild change of plan. After reading about the Beatles in Liverpool and London, DH proclaimed he didn't need to go to Liverpool, the Beatles sites in London are more what he wants to see, so we have postponed Liverpool for another trip (which we will combine somehow with Paris). I will be paying attention to Travelcards and Opal cards to be sure I understand them both :)

Happy New Year

ML

Happy new year to you too. Liverpool is easy to twin with a Paris trip. I have done that exact thing with two different sets of American friends. There are great air links between the two cities and the flight time isn’t much more than an hour. Feel free to pop back in here for some specific tips on both cities. Enjoy your London trip. It’s a fabulous city

Just as a P.S. to your London tube ticket dilemma, I was surprised to learn on a fairly recent trip to the capital that you can just pay by inserting your credit card in the machine at the start and finish of your journey. It worked for us. Maybe you can find out some more details on this and see if it will work for you? Just a thought

Hi Towncar

Happy New Year

ML

I looked up the info on paying with a debit/credit card and it looks like a good way to go. Here’s a link to the official page and there are many other useful sites explaining it. Basically you just use your contactless card but the expenditure is capped so it never costs you more than a travel card and could be less. 😊

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless

I looked up the info on paying with a debit/credit card and it looks like a good way to go. Here’s a link to the official page and there are many other useful sites explaining it. Basically you just use your contactless card but the expenditure is capped so it never costs you more than a travel card and could be less. 😊

Unfortunately, this doesn't work on all US contactless cards. Also contactless cards aren't as widespread in the US as they are in the UK.

I have not read all the pages here, but I hope you can help. We will be visiting Liverpool on our Royal BI cruise in August. I am looking for a 4-5 hour tour about the Beatles with some Liverpool history thrown in. Are there any tour companies that you recommend? No extensive walking, we are a little mobility impaired.

I have not read all the pages here, but I hope you can help. We will be visiting Liverpool on our Royal BI cruise in August. I am looking for a 4-5 hour tour about the Beatles with some Liverpool history thrown in. Are there any tour companies that you recommend? No extensive walking, we are a little mobility impaired.

I took www.pooloflifetours.com Beatle tour. They met us at the dock. We had a van of 6 filled from our Roll Call. We would get out at a few stops with not much walking. We stopped at all the Beatle's homes. The guide had many pictures/stories to tell and of course Beatle music. He also pointed out things as we passed.

From our Roll Call, there was a van that just wanted a Liverpool tour from the same tour company.

Everyone in our group highly recommended it.

Unfortunately, this doesn't work on all US contactless cards. Also contactless cards aren't as widespread in the US as they are in the UK.

Thanks for this info. All I have are chip cards, but I don't think that qualifies as contactless. I will check out the link though, can't have too much info :D

ML

Thanks for this info. All I have are chip cards, but I don't think that qualifies as contactless. I will check out the link though, can't have too much info :D

ML

If your cards were contactless they sod have a symbol on them which looks a bit like the WiFi symbol.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi. I don’t really recommend tours that I haven’t done myself, but I can’t say I’ve read many complaints about the many companies that offer such tours. I’m sure a simple Google search will give you lots of options, plus the recommendations from others on here 😊

Regarding the Beatles Tour. We went with Fab4 taxi tour. My husband is still talking about the tour. We booked with a couple we did not know from our Princess roll call from Canada and they were as excited as we were. We loved, loved, loved it. Great price and tons of history. You will not be disappointed.

Regarding the Beatles Tour. We went with Fab4 taxi tour. My husband is still talking about the tour. We booked with a couple we did not know from our Princess roll call from Canada and they were as excited as we were. We loved, loved, loved it. Great price and tons of history. You will not be disappointed.

That sounds like a great recommendation :)

I took www.pooloflifetours.com Beatle tour. They met us at the dock. We had a van of 6 filled from our Roll Call. We would get out at a few stops with not much walking. We stopped at all the Beatle's homes. The guide had many pictures/stories to tell and of course Beatle music. He also pointed out places as we passed.

From our Roll Call, there was a van that just wanted a Liverpool tour from the same tour company.

Everyone in our group highly recommended it.