Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Hi mont49 - found a description of the NCL Spirit spa posted in June of this year - smaller, so no Thermal Suite offered, but free sauna and steam room in the men's and women's locker rooms. Sounds just like NCL Sky, which I was on a couple of weeks ago. If so, it is well stocked with towels and robes. Bring your own flip-flops. Perhaps someone else can confirm this layout.

Just off NCL Dawn. The ship is a different class than the "Pearl" style ships. Recently tastefully remodeled Thermal Suite is a more compact design and is in the back of the ship below the gym. There is a co-ed middle section and seperate men/women only sections. No lockers, showers or free saunas are available to gym users, only those purchasing the Thermal Suite package. On the men's only side - VERY clean, well stocked with towels and robes - plenty of lockers with the 4 number lock design - a prep area with hair dryers - and another area with sinks, 3 urinals and a toilet. Everything was in excellent shape. The sauna is "L" shaped, with two seating levels - about 8 guys max. The steam room is a "J" shape, with tiled seating areas, part one level, part two levels. Again 8 would fill the space. Both have some privacy. There are three compact showers with full opaque glass doors with a wood seating area along one side. Across are a single person cold plunge and a hot tub (no jets). No windows to the outside except in the co-ed part. Given the limited space available, overall very good design! This cruise was very port intensive, so really quiet until 5 pm or after. Majority wore towels or nothing. Some suits were thrown in to balance it out. Enjoyable cruise!

The sauna, steam rooms cold plunge and hot tub it's in a separate zone for men only?

This thread is great!

Anyone know anything about the set up for the upcoming MSC Seaside?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've been trying to find info on any of the MSC ships too. The Deck Plans are not very informative. Anyone have info on MSC Divina or MSC Seaside? Thanks in advance and happy cruising.

• 2 weeks later...

Help, just received notification that they changed the ship for my October 2018 NYC Cruise. NCL switched from the Gem (great Spa facilities to the Breakaway.) I need to find another ship to depart NYC on. I was trying to find some info about the Carnival Summit but there is nothing in the thread. Has anyone ever sailed on the Summit and able to help me. Thanks in advance because time is of the essence.

Help, just received notification that they changed the ship for my October 2018 NYC Cruise. NCL switched from the Gem (great Spa facilities to the Breakaway.) I need to find another ship to depart NYC on. I was trying to find some info about the Carnival Summit but there is nothing in the thread. Has anyone ever sailed on the Summit and able to help me. Thanks in advance because time is of the essence.
That's because there's no such ship. It's the CELEBRITY SUMMIT. That ship is a Millennium Class ship with a complementary men's only dry sauna (which has a big round window overlooking the water) in the men's locker too in the spa area. The facilities are pretty similar across this particular ship class, so any reviews of the Celebrity Millennium, Summit, Constellation, and Infinity pretty much sums it up.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Help, just received notification that they changed the ship for my October 2018 NYC Cruise. NCL switched from the Gem (great Spa facilities to the Breakaway.) I need to find another ship to depart NYC on. I was trying to find some info about the Carnival Summit but there is nothing in the thread. Has anyone ever sailed on the Summit and able to help me. Thanks in advance because time is of the essence.[/quote

That’s a shame, you have my sympathies. If it is the Celebrity Summit then you’ll get by but it’s by no means anywhere as good as you’d have found on the NCL Gem. I would have done the same, I have no intention of sailing on ships with no separate men’s facilities.

I'll be interested to see if any changes are made to the men's spa on the Independence of the Seas after the upcoming renovations. I'm sailing out of Southampton May 28 for a 5 day cruise. I hope they leave it alone.

So far Royal seems to be leaving alone facilities on the older ships that had them, thankfully. We just got off Freedom, and they didn't mess with the sauna/steam room during the last renovation.

This is a helpful list and thank you for compiling it. I like you agree about spa gym facilities over loyalty. Thank you for taking the time to post.

When cruising I make extensive use of the Spa and Gym facilities. I am not loyal to any cruise line and will usually lean toward cruise ships offering better Spa/Gym facilities. I also prefer gender segregated spas.

The following is a list of the SPA facilities from some of the major cruise lines. I went to each cruise lines web site and looked at the deck plans for the gym/spa layout. Some deck plans are more detailed than others.

The list is based solely on my interpretation /observation of the deck plans as of July 31 2009.

Princess

Caribbean - separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Coral - two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Crown -separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Dawn- one Sauna (appears to be co-ed)

Diamond -separate men’s & women’s steam and sauna

Emerald -separate men’s & women’s steam and sauna

Golden - two Saunas one Steam room not listed if they are gender specific

Grand -two Saunas one Steam room not listed if they are gender specific

Island two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Ruby -separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Sapphire separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Sea -one Sauna (appears to be co-ed)

Sun - one Sauna (appears to be co-ed)

Star -separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Holland America

Amsterdam-two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Eurodam -one sauna ( appears to be co-ed)

Maasadam -Can’t tell by deck plans

Nieuw Amsterdam -one sauna ( appears to be co-ed)

Noordam-Can’t tell by deck plans

Oosterdam-Can’t tell by deck plans

Princendam -separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Rotterdam-two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Ryndam-Can’t tell by deck plans

Statendam-Can’t tell by deck plans

Veendam-Can’t tell by deck plans

Volendam-two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Westerdam -Can’t tell by deck plans

Zaandam-two saunas -not listed if they are gender specific

Zuiderdam-Can’t tell by deck plan

Norwegian

Dawn-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Gem-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Jade-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Jewel-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Majesty-One sauna Appears to be co-ed

Pearl- separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Sky -Steam & Sauna -Not listed as to gender

Spirit-Can’t tell by deck plan

Star-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Sun- Sauna & Steam rooms not listed as to gender

Pride of America- Can’t tell by deck plan

Royal Caribbean

Very simple deck plans- Can’t tell

Carnival

Holiday class-

Holiday-Can’t tell by deck plan

Fantasy class-

Fantasy-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Ecstasy-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Sensation-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Fascination-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Imagination-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Inspiration-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Elation-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Paradise-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Destiny class-

Destiny-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Triumph class

Triumph-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Victory-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Splendor class

Splendor- separate saunas - co-ed thermal suite

Spirit class

Spirit-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Pride-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Legend-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Miracle-separate men’s women’s steam and sauna

Thank you for the comprehensive list of saunas and steam rooms....very helpful information.

Here is my best attempt at summarizing the posts in this thread from the past few years (did not go back further in case of updates to ships).

Here are the ships/classes that DO have a MEN's ONLY Sauna facility of some sort:

Carnival Conquest

Carnival Dream

Carnival Splendor

Carnival Triumph

Carnival Victory

Celebrity (All Millenium Class)

Celebrity (All Solstice Class)

Cunard Queen Elizabeth

Cunard Queen Victoria

Disney Magic

Norwegian Epic

Norwegian Gem

Norwegian Jade

Norwegian Jewel

Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Sun

P&O Ventura

Princess Diamond Princess

Princess Emerald Princess

Princess Pacific Princess

Princess Sea Princes

Royal Caribbean (All Freedom Class)

Royal Caribbean (All Radiance Class)

Royal Caribbean (All Vision Class except Enchantment)

Royal Caribbean (All Voyager Class)

Royal Caribbean Brillance of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas

Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas

Please Note: This is not an authoritative list and have neither sailed on (except Celebrity Equinox) nor confirmed the men's sauna configuration of the ships on this list. I have just tried to gather the information shared on this thread (not the entire thread).

If you have any corrections or additions, please reply!

Thanks so much to all of you who have posted this information! I've not sailed much yet, but plan to do so and the men's only sauna area is a deciding factor for me in choosing a ship.

Happy Sailing!

Clarification on #664 above about Holland America: All Holland America ships have free gender specific saunas. Also note that the original post was made in 2009. Cruise lines sometimes remove gender-specific areas during reconfigurations.

Help, just received notification that they changed the ship for my October 2018 NYC Cruise. NCL switched from the Gem (great Spa facilities to the Breakaway.) I need to find another ship to depart NYC on. I was trying to find some info about the Carnival Summit but there is nothing in the thread. Has anyone ever sailed on the Summit and able to help me. Thanks in advance because time is of the essence.[/quote

That’s a shame, you have my sympathies. If it is the Celebrity Summit then you’ll get by but it’s by no means anywhere as good as you’d have found on the NCL Gem. I would have done the same, I have no intention of sailing on ships with no separate men’s facilities.

Thanks for your nice thoughts. We will try and enjoy the CoEd areas too. Who knows maybe we can start a conversation in public and finish it in the Sauna with a View.

That's because there's no such ship. It's the CELEBRITY SUMMIT. That ship is a Millennium Class ship with a complementary men's only dry sauna (which has a big round window overlooking the water) in the men's locker too in the spa area. The facilities are pretty similar across this particular ship class, so any reviews of the Celebrity Millennium, Summit, Constellation, and Infinity pretty much sums it up.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks Kwokpot, I was in such a hurry to try and get plans made again, and was looking at so many ships and deck plans that I got totally confused. This Thread is very helpful in so many ways.

• 2 weeks later...

Adventure of the seas AOS. Has anyone been on Adventure since the refit? Did they change the steam or sauna? I don’t remember there being cabins right by the gym before so wondering how extensive the changes were. Also looks like Jesters is gone :( where is the late night party now ? Thanks for any info

Any Men's Spa users sailing on Navigator of The Seas on 12/22/17 out of Miami?

By the way, I've previously posted my complete list of "Men's Only Sauna" ships, but here is what I have on Royal:

RoyalCaribbean (these DO have separate Men's facilities):

Freedom of the Seas

Independence of the Seas

Liberty of the Seas

Jewel of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas

Serenade of the Seas

Radiance of the Seas

Grandeur of the Seas

Vision of the Seas

Rhapsody of the Seas

Voyager of the Seas

Navigator of the Seas

Mariner of the Seas

Adventure of the Seas

Explorer of the Seas

I'll be interested to see if any changes are made to the men's spa on the Independence of the Seas after the upcoming renovations. I'm sailing out of Southampton May 28 for a 5 day cruise. I hope they leave it alone.

Reading about the proposed changes and looking at the new floor plans I think you are safe to assume there will be no changes to the men's and women's change room area. They are going to be adding cabins at the front of deck 11 on the right side. Most of that space should come from the glassed in hall just outside the gym and maybe from the stretching area of the gym. There should be no changes on the left side of the gym where the changing rooms are now.