P and O Australia - Australia Day Cruise Disappointment

datone

My son and daughter-in-law said they will still go on the cruise, but they are a bit disappointed that the ship has to leave before the fireworks.

I am pretty sure this would not have been a decision by P&O. My guess is that they have been instructed to leave the harbour at 5.30. I can remember a fuss a couple of years ago by people around the harbour claiming the ship or ships anchored in the harbour blocked their view.

I think Pac Dawn was part of the skyshow when it first joined the aussie fleet and pac Sun was forced to sail away even though it was supposed to be moored for them.

Good luck with a nice big OBC from P&O AU! lol P&O will always offer a lot less if any OBC than others would, thats for sure!

Wouldnt it be great if most took up the offer of full refund lol.

Cannot see how fireworks going off high in the sky could be blocked by a ship moored at sea level and in the middle of the harbour.

Agreed.

I have to say if you are even in a position to see ships blocking your view, then you have a damn good view!

I agree about the pax who are disappointed with Piss me Off not delivering what they advertised. However, how does a ship at sea level bock your view of fireworks in the sky.

#firstwirldproblems

Or as the Brits call the above..PANDO.:p I reckon if most demanded refunds, the cruise would be cancelled. They won't drop prices to rock bottom. They might in the US of A, but not here.

Or as the Brits call the above..PANDO.:p I reckon if most demanded refunds, the cruise would be cancelled. They won't drop prices to rock bottom. They might in the US of A, but not here.

I don't think most will demand refunds - not ten days before the cruise when many people will have organised time off work etc. Even if a lot cancelled, I don't think P&O would cancel the cruise. If a fair number cancel, I think P&O will be offering good prices. An empty cabin loses money (because the ship's overheads still have to paid). Even if people get a 'deal' at half the original price, P&O would probably break even on that cabin. Many people spend more on their on-board account than they outlay in the cruise fare.

Better to sail at low prices and still make money on the on board spending than to sit idle for the length of the cruise out at sea.

I don't think most will demand refunds - not ten days before the cruise when many people will have organised time off work etc. Even if a lot cancelled, I don't think P&O would cancel the cruise. If a fair number cancel, I think P&O will be offering good prices. An empty cabin loses money (because the ship's overheads still have to paid). Even if people get a 'deal' at half the original price, P&O would probably break even on that cabin. Many people spend more on their on-board account than they outlay in the cruise fare.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed, ship will sail and few will cancel. A cruise is a cruise. The ship might let off its own fireworks out to sea. :')

I can imagine PANDO Straya customer relations have had heir hands full of cranky pax. Such is life. They might get thrown a $100 obc for a few VB's.

So, this is the first I've heard any of this. We are booked on this cruise out of Brisbane as a b2b2b. Did people find out through email or on the grapevine (CC)? We've had no notification from P&O. We thought this would be a great opportunity to spend Australia day in Sydney & see the evening festivities whilst on board. First thing tomorrow morning I'll be on the phone to P&O.

So, this is the first I've heard any of this. We are booked on this cruise out of Brisbane as a b2b2b. Did people find out through email or on the grapevine (CC)? We've had no notification from P&O. We thought this would be a great opportunity to spend Australia day in Sydney & see the evening festivities whilst on board. First thing tomorrow morning I'll be on the phone to P&O.

The OP said she received an email from P&O. My son did also.

The OP said she received an email from P&O. My son did also.

We were wait listed on this cruise & were lucky enough to be offered a cabin about 5 days ago, which we accepted, but we have not received any email advising any changes.:(

We were wait listed on this cruise & were lucky enough to be offered a cabin about 5 days ago, which we accepted, but we have not received any email advising any changes.:(

When you booked, the itinerary probably showed that the ship would be anchored in the harbour for the fireworks. It is worth phoning P&O to see if you can also receive the $100 pp on-board credit. Doesn't hurt to ask.:) I suggest that you mention a "friend" got the OBC (if you need to mention this at all), not Cruise Critic. :D

When you booked, the itinerary probably showed that the ship would be anchored in the harbour for the fireworks. It is worth phoning P&O to see if you can also receive the $100 pp on-board credit. Doesn't hurt to ask.:) I suggest that you mention a "friend" got the OBC (if you need to mention this at all), not Cruise Critic. :D

Thanks Aus Traveller(y), we did believe we would be in the harbour for the evening festivities, that's why we were so excited when we secured a cabin. I will contact P&O tomorrow to discus & will let them know about my "friend" who received OBC. As you said, can't hurt to ask. I imagine they have been inundated with many disappointed passengers & rightly so.

Thanks to datone for sharing this information. I am so grateful I am part of the CC community. So much helpful & important information shared. :cool:

Thanks Aus Traveller(y), we did believe we would be in the harbour for the evening festivities, that's why we were so excited when we secured a cabin. I will contact P&O tomorrow to discus & will let them know about my "friend" who received OBC. As you said, can't hurt to ask. I imagine they have been inundated with many disappointed passengers & rightly so.

Thanks to datone for sharing this information. I am so grateful I am part of the CC community. So much helpful & important information shared. :cool:

I have just spoken to my son. He phoned P&O on Friday and expressed disappointment but didn't hint that they might cancel. He was referred 'up the line' to more senior people but no offer of OBC. He was told someone would phone him back next week.

I note that the OP (Datone) didn't get the offer of $100 OBC on the first phone call. Someone from P&O had to phone her back. I really think that P&O are getting off lightly if they pay some passengers $100 OBC. That is probably only $25 or so out of P&Os pocket if people spend more than they would otherwise. All the best with this. :)

Yes we are booked on this cruise and we were sooo looking forward to being in Sydney Harbour for the fireworks and just sailing around. We were very disappointed as we have a large group going and this was the reason we picked this cruise. There are now 18 very unhappy people wishing they had chosen a different cruise and maybe a different cruise line.

Yes we are booked on this cruise and we were sooo looking forward to being in Sydney Harbour for the fireworks and just sailing around. We were very disappointed as we have a large group going and this was the reason we picked this cruise. There are now 18 very unhappy people wishing they had chosen a different cruise and maybe a different cruise line.

Welcome to Cruise critic, it is a shame for you and your group.

I believe they are offering full refunds if you cancel.