Question Regarding 2016 Sailings

1926moon

Hi folks :)

We are looking at a Disney cruise in early May, 2016, followed by some time at Universal and then DW. I am pretty excited!!

I have a question about the release of cruise schedules/dates for this time. When does Disney usually release them? It just doesn't seem all that far away, I am kind of surprised they are not up already!

A second question because they have not yet released the schedules - we are hoping for the four day Bahamas cruise on the Dream, has anyone heard if they are going to continue the Dream on a similar schedule as it is on now? The 4-day/3-day rotation? I love the idea of the four day one - two ports + one sea day to explore the ship, it is the perfect amount of time for us.

Thanks!

Kristine:)

Edited by 1926moon

Hi folks :)

We are looking at a Disney cruise in early May, 2016, followed by some time at Universal and then DW. I am pretty excited!!

I have a question about the release of cruise schedules/dates for this time. When does Disney usually release them? It just doesn't seem all that far away, I am kind of surprised they are not up already!

A second question because they have not yet released the schedules - we are hoping for the four day Bahamas cruise on the Dream, has anyone heard if they are going to continue the Dream on a similar schedule as it is on now? The 4-day/3-day rotation? I love the idea of the four day one - two ports + one sea day to explore the ship, it is the perfect amount of time for us.

Thanks!

Kristine:)

Generally speaking, DCL releases itineraries about 18 months out. That said, DCL releases their itineraries pretty much when they want.

I suspect that the Dream will continue to do the 3/4 night rotation for at least a couple of more years. Probably longer.

DCL has sometimes released the schedule in sections. I expect the next 1/3-1/2 of 2016 for the Dream and Fantasy to be released any time now. DCL has a contract with Port Canaveral which requires these ships to be based there for at least another year or two, (I don't remember when it expires) so there are no likely changes for those two ships.

Schedules for the Magic and Wonder are often released later as there is more flexibility in what these ships do. More flexibility=more time needed to plan, secure ports, etc.

Thank you <3

We are west coasters and have been to DL many, many times; we have yet to go to the east coast so this will be our first trip out that way. I can't figure out if I am more excited about the cruise, DW, or any of the Harry Potter related stuff that is at US!

Also, I have been thread-diving in this section - I cannot believe how many helpful threads and tips there are in this forum!! I was able to whittle down my original half-dozen questions to just the two I had above :D

funny...we've only done DL once but WDW many times. Despite being MUCH smaller, our west coast trip and cruise still rates as one of the all time best vacations. I think it was because we were all discovering something new together rather than the parent knows everything and sort of runs the show.

You'll love ALL of it!

DL is nice because it is so compact! I will admit that is one thing I am daunted by at DW - I can't get my head around not walking everywhere!

Once they release the dates and I quickly book our cruise, I am sure I will be back here with many questions and too much enthusiasm;) It is just my husband and me and we are both Disney fanatics, I am completing an online FT degree program while working FT and this trip is basically the carrot on the stick to keep me going!!

Edited by 1926moon
disasterous spelling

OK, you didn't ask but.....stay on property at WDW, even if it means a lower grade hotel. You'll save a ton of time. Most hotels offer "transportation" to Disney, but that can mean 2 or 3 bus trips per day rather than WDW's every 20 minutes. In addition, staying on property will give you "extra magic hours," (early opening/late closing only for WDW resort guests) and the ability to go back to your room and take a break if you wish.

Book your cruise and your WDW stay separately. That way you can get the best deal that each is offering. If you book a WDW stay thru DCL, you'll pay rack rate at WDW!

While it will mean moving hotels, if you stay at one of the Universal hotels when going there, you also get perks--early admission, etc.

Oh, I am totally on top of all of the above! The sole reason I have not booked any of my accommodation yet is because I am waiting on the cruise dates, once I have that all systems are a go!! Here is my plan:

1) Flights - booked through airmiles, I have been able to filter my tuition through my credit card and that has earned me more than enough points to cover our flight from Vancouver Island to MCO (about a $2,000 savings when all said and done!)

2) Cruise - 4 night Bahamas, with a balcony.

3) US Hotel - 2 nights at the new one, the one with the vintage theme - we have quite a few vintage vehicles so my husband is stoked about this hotel!

4) WDW Hotel - I am actually looking at renting DVC points for this one, I am not sure if I am allowed to mention through what business I am booking through on here, but they have a decent reputation and a friend of mine has used them. Because of the money we save by renting DVC points it actually allows us to book into the Boardwalk Inn!! Boardwalk Inn is our first choice, with the Beach Club second.

OK, I'm a DVC member and because I have no points to rent out this year, I'll speak freely. The DVC resorts are LOVELY. Nothing bad about them at all BUT you'll do better if you don't get your heart set on a particular resort. Boardwalk has a fair number of villas (save money and get a "standard" view. Our "standard" had a great view of the EPCOT fireworks every night.) Standard = parking lot, preferred = water. Beach Club has very few villas. I'm not saying to not try--we got Beach Club at Christmas one year and it isn't our home resort! Another SUPER resort for kids is Animal Kingdom Lodge. We prefer Jambo House, but if you will have a car, the parking at Kidani Village is great.

Beach Club -best pool at WDW outside of water parks, access only to guests staying there.

Boardwalk--the boardwalk is fun at night, pool is pretty normal.

These 2 have boat, and bus transportation to EPCOT and Studios and you can walk to EPCOT. Boat is not fast.

Animal Kingdom Lodge--speaks for itself. Pool is meh

And worst case, the only place you can get in is Saratoga--nothing wrong with it. Just more bus ride to parks.

Also, DVC is the only way you can do the dining plan without including park tickets on the reservation (although I trust you're buying park tickets...)

I am totally flexible and fine with not getting the Boardwalk - that is the just first thing I am shooting for:D I have many, many second choices. In fact, if for some reason it works out that we cannot* rent DVC points I am good with some of the moderate resorts too.

*though as I would be putting my request in well over year in advance, so I am hoping one of them will work out.

*though as I would be putting my request in well over year in advance, so I am hoping one of them will work out.

You can't put in a request for DVC a year in advance. Bookings at the owner's home resort can be made 11 months in advance. At resorts other than the home resort, they can be made 7 months in advance.

You can call the person you are renting from at any point you wish, but he/she can't book it for you until the magical booking window arrives. Sorry.....

You can't put in a request for DVC a year in advance. Bookings at the owner's home resort can be made 11 months in advance. At resorts other than the home resort' date=' they can be made 7 months in advance.

You can call the person you are renting from at any point you wish, but he/she can't book it for you until the magical booking window arrives. Sorry.....[/quote']

I am aware of this, we were *almost* DVC members, the fact that the Grand Californian is the one closest to us priced us out of the market!

As we are renting through one of the DVC rental/broker sites, my hope is to have our request in ASAP - even before the 11 month mark - in hopes that it would be flagged for priority when that 11 month date comes up. I figured there was nothing to lose doing it that way, and maybe it might just give us a little bit of a better shot successfully booking into one of the resorts we are hoping for.

Edited by 1926moon
clarification

You were not rude at all!! Sometimes without the use of smileys I come off as brusque - hence my overuse (or abuse as viewed by some people!) of smileys.

I absolutely appreciate all of your tips and insight (and I am secretly envious that you are a DVC member - a girl can dream ;)).

As far as renting DVC points goes, I am just trying to do everything I can to get in there right at that 11-month mark :p

Well, we bought in 1998, when points were a lot cheaper than today! My only regret was that we didn't do it in 1994 when we first started doing WDW. I'd walk past those desks and think "I'm on vacation, don't want to bother with whatever this is." Mistake.....

I've never been involved with a broker site or place, so can't help there. I have rented to individuals, but as noted, have plans for all my points for the next year at least.

Good luck. If you don't get it at first, we've had amazing success with wait listing.

I am sure I will enthusiastically post here once it gets sorted ;)

I am going to be staying SOMEWHERE on property!!!

Gotta go - thanks again for all your help, I am sure I will be back in the next few months (or days, as I continue to thread dive the Disney threads!).