Sept. 11, Oct. 4 London to Rome. Layers?

saltshell

For me in that scenario, layers would mean a pair of lightweight ankle length pants, a short sleeve shirt, a cardigan, a jacket and a scarf. I might wear a skirt and the short sleeve tee in Rome, all the layers (and perhaps closed toe shoes instead of sandals) in London. (this assumes I'm starting in Rome in Sept where it's warmer and moving north toward London later in the month as it gets cooler....Whatever the expected temps are in your location that week, work with that ;-)

What "layers" is shorthand for is take a few pieces of clothing that all go together, and in fact, can be worn all at once when the temps are cooler, or shed in warmer temps.

If you wish to pack lightly, and esp for more than one type of climate in a single packing trip, layering is the only option. I pack mostly midweight in cooler temps (and lightweight in hot temps) with one or two pieces I can use if it gets much cooler than I'm expecting. 2 pr pants, 2 dresses, 2 sweaters, 4 scarves, 2 short sleeve tees, 2 long sleeve tees - then just pick the pieces I need for the weather & activities that day.

• 2 weeks later...

September in London could be cool & rainy & Rome will be hotter than heck.(heat is subjective, I'm hot over 74F)

You won't need a warm coat, but you possible could use a light rain coat & a light scarf. Layering for me means that I could start out the day in the 40's with a pair of skinny jeans, boots, tank top, long sleeved tee over it, light cargo jacket & an infinity scarf, & in the afternoon when it's 80 I could have shoved the jacket & long sleeved tee in by bag & just have the tank & infinity scarf on. (so I can cover shoulders in churches )

If you're going to any resort type areas, IE: French Riviera, Amalfi Coast, a pair of linen shorts or very lightweight skirt would be nice as you could hit very hot weather.

I've worn shorts in Nice & Rome in December. :) We also hit snow once in December in Rome so there you go. ;)

Enjoy

• 2 weeks later...

I would have a light raincoat. We will be there again this time of year and will use our waterproof jacket with hood.

A fleece or something to layer under it if it is cooler in the early morning and evening.

They can be worn together or separately.

Normally that time of year it gets cooler earlier in the day and late in the day.

Rain can vary but be prepared for it.

Keith

We were in Rome in mid October and we found it to be cool in the mornings and we needed a light jacket. By late morning it was warm and we needed to take off the jackets. I mostly wore capri pants, a tshirt and had a jacket when I needed it. We had one day of rain so a rain poncho and umbrella came in handy. Good walking shoes are necessary for Rome - the cobblestones are everywhere.

I've worn shorts in Nice & Rome in December. :) We also hit snow once in December in Rome so there you go. ;)

Enjoy

It depends also on how much you want to blend in. Wearing shorts in Rome in December will get you strange looks. DD got them all the time going wearing hoodie/shirts and flip flops to school in Rome. After awhile she became the ‘weird American girl’ in the neighborhood.