Smaller ships

MrZoey

Are they planning any new smaller ships? Would love to see something a tiny bit smaller than what have been built. Wishful thinking [emoji6]

Most likely not under the Royal Caribbean brand. However, I could see them adding to the Azamara brand.

Just got back from NCL. They said there are a few smaller ships coming in the next 4 years or so. The announcement got a big round of applause. Not everyone wants waterslides and rock climbing walls on a ship.

Just got back from NCL. They said there are a few smaller ships coming in the next 4 years or so. The announcement got a big round of applause. Not everyone wants waterslides and rock climbing walls on a ship.

NCL has 6 new ships coming out in the next 7 years - 2 of them are 167,800 GT. The other 4 are 140,000 GT.

Just how small do you want them to be, where do you want them to go, and are there already small ships of that type going those places?

Just curious to see why you want new small ships, what you foresee them offering that Radiance, Vision, Serenade,Rhapsody, etc...don't already offer.

Also, since the smaller shops lack some of the signature features (e.g.: Royal Promenade) the larger ships are known for, the question then becomes, why Royal Caribbean? What about other popular lines - Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, etc...? Do they have smaller ships going the places you want to go?

My one 'small ship' experience was on Celebrity's Constellation; really enjoyed it (still big; seemed like somebody kicked over a skyscraper & made it float, but no Royal Promenade). Otherwise, it's been Royal Caribbean, Voyager, Freedom & Oasis-class.

Not asking to challenge your wishes; I'm curious about the reasoning behind it and I'd like to better understand.

Richard.

Just how small do you want them to be, where do you want them to go, and are there already small ships of that type going those places?

Just curious to see why you want new small ships, what you foresee them offering that Radiance, Vision, Serenade,Rhapsody, etc...don't already offer.

Also, since the smaller shops lack some of the signature features (e.g.: Royal Promenade) the larger ships are known for, the question then becomes, why Royal Caribbean? What about other popular lines - Celebrity, NCL, Carnival, etc...? Do they have smaller ships going the places you want to go?

My one 'small ship' experience was on Celebrity's Constellation; really enjoyed it (still big; seemed like somebody kicked over a skyscraper & made it float, but no Royal Promenade). Otherwise, it's been Royal Caribbean, Voyager, Freedom & Oasis-class.

Not asking to challenge your wishes; I'm curious about the reasoning behind it and I'd like to better understand.

Richard.

Two of the six Vision class ships have already been sold off.

The writing is on the wall for the others, with Grandeur likely to be the next to go, IF they can find a buyer. :p

It's not just that they are not going to build any more of this size. It's that the ones that they have are not going to be around forever.

And that is a shame. :(

"It's not just that they are not going to build any more of this size. It's that the ones that they have are not going to be around forever."

I like the port-intensive, low-priced and optionally pretty long cruise options I see on smaller ships (e.g.: the Vision), so it'd be sad to see them go. Even if, with our 4-year old, I'm hesitant to book anything that doesn't have some of the frills of the larger ships...yet.

I wonder if another cruise line will move into the vacated niche, and provide the ship size & associated features that Royal historically did with their smaller ships?

Richard.

It's not just that they are not going to build any more of this size. It's that the ones that they have are not going to be around forever.

There was a great thread on this topic over a year ago. The jist of the thread is that Sovereign/Monarch/Splendour/Legend were sold at approx the 22-25yr mark. I have no clue how any cruise line factors in capital cost depreciation, nor major renovations like bringing back Empress and Majesty, however I'll assume just for fun that 25yrs is a milestone year:

Past due?:

• Empress built 1989 = 29 years old
  • Majesty built 1992 = 26 years old

Still a few short years left (unless sold for value before it's "expiry date"):

• Grandeur 1996 = 22 years
  • Enchantment & Rhapsody 1997 = 21 years
  • Vision 1998 = 20 years

Radiance Class will be hanging around for quite a while yet.... Jewel is only 14 years young :)

I personally love Radiance class ships. I love to feel like I’m on a cruise ship and to be able to look out at the water at most places on the ship.

While I do miss the ice skating rink on larger ships, I can live without it. I did enjoy the water show on Oasis but probably won’t sail on a mega ship again. I want to feel like I’m cruising and other than on our balcony, rarely saw the ocean.

I personally love Radiance class ships. I love to feel like I’m on a cruise ship and to be able to look out at the water at most places on the ship.

While I do miss the ice skating rink on larger ships, I can live without it. I did enjoy the water show on Oasis but probably won’t sail on a mega ship again. I want to feel like I’m cruising and other than on our balcony, rarely saw the ocean.

I remember when Sovereign came out, largest cruise ship on the seas. All the other ships around her were half it's size. All that and not one Balcony on her. Been on each class when they first came out. Ship's been getting bigger since. My Kids/Grand Kids love Oasis class, but Radiance is the one class I will miss when it's gone...

If the question is not specific to RCCL but ship size in general

if I'm not mistaken Viking Ocean's ships are each 2 years old or less and carry under 1000, 5 are in operation and #6 is about to go active.

There is a strong market for small ship sailing ... but they operate in a different price category ...

so far a 'wiz bang' .... VO has no water slides, but they do have infinity pools!

I guess I should have been more clear [emoji4]. I really do like the Voyager size and amenities. I also like the price point on those ships. Thanks for all the feedback!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't see Royal ever building anything under the size of Freedom Class. The Quantum Class seems to be a sweet spot for Royal in my opinion.

Since I've accepted that there will be no more smaller ships, it has become more about ship design for me, rather than size. I want a connection to the sea - I haven't sailed them, but the Quantum Class seems to do a pretty good job at that with Two70 and many venues having windows. Oasis Class on the other hand offers almost no lounges or indoor venues with sea views. Don't get me wrong, I love the Oasis Class for what they are, but that is my biggest gripe.

So give me as many lounges and venues with sea views as possible, and I'm fine with larger ships. I'll enjoy the small ships while they're still around.