Considering a cruise to Dubai, but know nothing about it.

For DH's 40th bday I am considering a cruise in Dubai but I know nothing about this area except that is developing into a huge tourist destination and that the area is man-made mostly with unbelievable things, like indoor skiing.

I am thinking of this cruise http://*****.com/oakwek

Also we have a son who by then will be 5 (also planning a short Disney cruise that same year for his bday the month prior) by then. He travels with us everywhere and the last two cruises he went with us (including the Northern Europe one).

What do you know about cruises in Dubai? Did you like it? What did you do at the ports? Do you think is ok to take a 5 year child with us? I am mostly worried about personal security. Although we just came back from NYC and the man sitting next to me on the plane told me that a few months ago he was in Dubai with his 8 and 10 year old children and they had a great time, but I still wonder.

I just spent almost 3 months in the Middle East/SE Asia for business. I was in almost every Middle East country (including Iraq) except Iran.

Dubai was just OK-I was there 3 times in 3 months. It was fun to see all the "over the top" things like Ski Dubai (indoor skiing), the Palm Islands, the World, the World's tallest building, Burg al Arab (the world's only 7 star hotel). Your child will really enjoy Wild Wadi (the over the top water park). BUT it was only a couple of days it was fun. I am not a shopper and it seems like that is the primary thing to do in Dubai after you see the touristy things.

The rest of the ports on your cruise-don't know what you would do with a 5yo that would be entertaining. Abu Dhabi is pretty boring. Every Middle East country has fish markets, souks, Royal Palaces, mosques, museums and ancient architecture. After a while, they all look the same. Also think about that horribly long plane ride if you fly one of the nonstops. THAT is just too long for a 5yo, so you will have to fly something into Europe, then on to Dubai.

The real fun I had was getting out in the desert, spending the night in a bedouin tent, busting over sand dunes on 4 wheelers (not suitable for a 5yo), seeing the wild camels. Don't know whether you will have time to get very far out in the desert with a port stop.

You have to remember-this is desert, desert, desert country. And don't know when you plan on going, but February-April bring HUGE sand storms. They shut down airports, roads get closed and it is the nastiest I have ever seen. I live in the Arizona desert (far west of Phoenix) and the deserts in the MidEast are much more desolate than in Arizona. I look out my back patio and see mountains, scrub brush, wild mesquite trees, etc. You look at the deserts in the Middle East and it is just miles and miles of sand. JMHO

Just wanted to add-the only way to really see the Palms or the World is from up high. You can take a tour at the Burg al Arab if they offer them again and get up high ($75.00pp) or make reservations for lunch, dinner or high tea (high tea was $220 for two, lunch almost double). Or they have helicopters or hot air ballonos-$150pp and up

Also think about that horribly long plane ride if you fly one of the nonstops. THAT is just too long for a 5yo, so you will have to fly something into Europe, then on to Dubai.

Florida Cruisers - The most valuable flight you can do(I researched about that a few weeks ago for us....we live in the Orlando area(Winter Garden/Windermere) so It's the same for us....the best route is Orlando(MCO) - London Gatwick(LGW) by Virgin Atlantic and then London - Dubai by Emirates so it's 7 hours and 7 hours instead of 3 to NY and then 14 to Dubai :eek:...ok the second option is with the A380 and it's super awesome...but also very expensive so a 747 with Virgin and then a 777 with Emirates is ok ;):):cool:

I just found this set of pictures from BBC showing the sandstorm that prevented me from leaving Qatar on the day I was supposed to. I was in two of these huge sandstorms-Qatar and Kuwait. You literally can't breath, you MUST get indoors or cover up completely. The sand is sooooo fine, it just gets into everything in massive amounts.

These huge sandstorms really make me question the wisdom of cruise ships going to the Middle East in the February-April time frame. If you are going on a cruise at that time, BE PREPARED. They close airports, shipping ports, roads, etc. Depending on the luck of the draw, you may have a cruise to nowhere, floating around the Persian Gulf.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/newsbeat/newsid_7936000/7936912.stm

• 3 weeks later...
For DH's 40th bday I am considering a cruise in Dubai but I know nothing about this area except that is developing into a huge tourist destination and that the area is man-made mostly with unbelievable things, like indoor skiing.

I am thinking of this cruise http://*****.com/oakwek

Also we have a son who by then will be 5 (also planning a short Disney cruise that same year for his bday the month prior) by then. He travels with us everywhere and the last two cruises he went with us (including the Northern Europe one).

What do you know about cruises in Dubai? Did you like it? What did you do at the ports? Do you think is ok to take a 5 year child with us? I am mostly worried about personal security. Although we just came back from NYC and the man sitting next to me on the plane told me that a few months ago he was in Dubai with his 8 and 10 year old children and they had a great time, but I still wonder.

We just returned from a Dubai to Rome cruise. Click on the link below for information on viewing some youtube videos of Dubai and other port calls on this cruise. The Dubai video shows most of the highlights of the city plus a desert safari that included dune bashing and belly dancing. This was our first trip to the Middle East and we had a wonderful time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Ron aka CruzerTwo aka CruzerToo

We just returned from a Dubai to Rome cruise. Click on the link below for information on viewing some youtube videos of Dubai and other port calls on this cruise. The Dubai video shows most of the highlights of the city plus a desert safari that included dune bashing and belly dancing. This was our first trip to the Middle East and we had a wonderful time.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=926243

Ron aka CruzerTwo aka CruzerToo

While adults may enjoy the Middle East, there is very little for a 5 year old to do during port stops. Too young to go out in the desert riding 4 wheelers or dune buggies. Even the Land Rover excursions are restricted to 10 or 12 and over. One lady was in tears at the Dubai Hyatt when they refused to take her 8 yo. Any tour company that would allow a 5yo on a 4 wheeler, in a dune buggy or in a car (often there are no car seats in the Middle East) bouncing over the dunes is NOT a company you should consider. Believe me, safety standards, OSHA, liability insurance, etc. etc-all things we Americans take for granted. Mostly unheard of in the MidEast. It is truly Allah's will over there. What Allah decides will happen to you, there is no need to take any other precautions. The best example is their driving-100KMP to 40KMP, the white lines are "merely a suggestion". If you get killed in a car wreck, it is Allah's will. No need to pay attention to your driving or improve. No need to buckle up the kids. No need for a child's seat. It is the culture.

I leave again for the Middle East for business in about a month. I wouldn't THINK of taking my grandkids over there other than for a land trip. 10-12 hours in port-what are you going to do with a 5 yo??? How many souks and mosques can a 5 yo visit without making the trip really miserable for Mom and Dad and others? You need TIME in the Middle East with children. Time to get out in the desert, time to see the bedouins, time to ride the wild camels, NOT the tame ones used for a lot of rides who are horribly treated, time to visit the water parks (they are all over the Middle East, but Wild Wadi is over the top), time to see the other things that kids MAY be interested in (like the Super Giant Mickey D's playrooms-as big as WalMart). Just not enough time for those things with most port stops. You may keep a kid's interest in Dubai between Wild Wadi and Ski Dubai. But other Mid East ports-boring for even some adults unless shopping is your thing. JMHO

• 2 weeks later...

We regret taking our 7-year old on month long land tour of Germany, Austria, Rome and Paris. Even with more favorable weather and interesting things in Europe, our daughter bored quickly and was tired by 3pm. Even though she is very smart. In planning the trip, I thought the exposure to different places and circumstances would be a good education for her, but in spite of careful inclusion of 'fun things', it was not a good experience for anyone.

Sure, it is fun to have a kid along, but who is it fun for? For a Disney cruise it is an easy Yes decision. Consider motives for taking the child on other cruise themes and destinations. I don't know what other options you have; camp, time with relatives, etc. But I'd bet child would have more fun doing those things, and you would too, and so would fellow passengers.

Our opinion is that 10-years old is the minimum age. We also took our 10 year old daughter on the same trip and she had a great time, was eager to learn, able to put things in context, capable of understanding things, and would REMEMBER it.

The young daughter is now 34 and have been to all continents on her own, and is currently on a 14-month vacation in New Zealand and Australia. Older daughter just got back from trip with her husband and me to Japan, China, and Tibet.

So they may have gotten the travel bug from us.

In summary, decision should be based on your family's profile and perceptions. Anyway, I'm just giving our opinion, with food for thought.

• 3 weeks later...

We live in Saudi Arabia and been to most places around the Middle East. It certainly is different. Muscat is probably the most ‘authentic’, with respect to architecture and historical buildings. A fun trip is to hire a small boat for a 2-3 hour trip up and down the coast. It is not expensive – check at the dive club(s). But a 5-year old would probably get bored. UNLESS he likes the old ‘Sinbad the Sailor’ movie – the coast looks like something right out of Sinbad, right down to the 200 yr old (?) Arab architecture forts. The Muscat souk(s) are neat too – frankincense is a big thing here so you can relate to the Christmas nativity story. We have not been to Fujairah, so can not help there. Gretam has summed up Dubai aptly, it does have touristy attractions that a 5-yr old may enjoy (skinning, water park). Dubai also as stunning architecture – it strikes me as an art gallery of modern architecture. Really beautiful if you like architecture. I agree with Greatam about Abu Dhabi. Not too sure what to do there for sightseeing. We’re in Bahrain almost every weekend, it has at least 2 interesting museums and several interesting archaeological and historical sights. Bahrain, too, has an interesting souk but not as earthy as those in the outskirts of Muscat. All cities have excellent restaurants – continental, fusion, international, plus all the usual American chains. Personal safety is not an issue. Terrorism remains a possibility, but you could say the same about Madrid or London – it’s an almost random event. But your stops have not been subject to terrorist attacks. Crime against foreign tourists or foreign residents is almost unheard of. The people are friendly and very polite. There are many cultural differences which sometime cause confusion vis-s-vis what is polite and what is rude, but all of your stops are pretty cosmopolitan with much foreign traffic back and forth.

Archived