HALs answer to heating pads

NoobCruise

After my thread the other day asking about taking a heating pad ....... which was quite debated ...... I went ahead and sent an email to HAL asking about bringing one.

Unequivocal NO. "Items such as a heating pad, pose a safety risk, and are not allowed to be brought on board. We apologize for an inconvenience this may cause." That's what I expected, but it never hurts to ask.

Ok, Thermacare heatwraps it is.

After my thread the other day asking about taking a heating pad ....... which was quite debated ...... I went ahead and sent an email to HAL asking about bringing one.

Unequivocal NO. "Items such as a heating pad, pose a safety risk, and are not allowed to be brought on board. We apologize for an inconvenience this may cause." That's what I expected, but it never hurts to ask.

You were wise to ask - thermacare is pretty good. I'm guessing the spa should have something as well.

I have a really nice pad (no plugs) that gets heated up in the microwave - if yuou need real heat that would work. Pretty sure someone on the ship could heat it up for you I would think?

Thank you for asking HAL and getting a response so quickly.

I was reading the box of Thermacare Heatwraps the other day.

For those that are Dietbetic -- there was somethng on the package about not using them.

Acording to their FAQ:

"Diabetes is a complicated disease that sometimes causes poor blood circulation and decreased skin sensitivity and feeling. Since some diabetics may be more susceptible to skin irritation, skin injury or even burns than others, they first should consult with their doctor to determine if ThermaCare® is right for them."

I've used them for at least 5 years with no adverse affects. Others might consider their own skin sensitivity before trying them.

Thermacare heatwraps are going to work just fine. Good thing you ask but most of us did think the answer was going to be NO. Thanks for coming back to tell us what Hal had to say.

I posted HALs response more for the ones who take them anyway, either because they didn't know or some who didn't care.

Wise move to call and inquire.

Some people might just think it's fine to bring one aboard. When a fire started in the cabin, they would wonder why.

About five years ago a close family friend of my parents who was in his early 80's was sleeping and had left the heating pad on. He awoke several hours later to the smell of smoldering blanket and his wife calling 911.

The paramedics told his wife that a few more minutes and they both could have died in a fire. The pad was set too high and got pressed against the metal bed frame. He suffered 3rd degree burns to almost half of his body. Several months later he passed away.

From that moment on I took every heating blanket and pad out of my parents house and threw them away.

After going through neck surgery and shoulder surgery, may I suggest Icy Hot Roll? It is adherent to the skin, generates heating pad quality heat and does not move from where you place it. Because it is a continuous roll, you tear what you need only and can be more specific on the site you want to receive the heat. A good 10 to 12 hours of relief as well! I never travel without it!

Just a suggestion!

After going through neck surgery and shoulder surgery, may I suggest Icy Hot Roll? It is adherent to the skin, generates heating pad quality heat and does not move from where you place it. Because it is a continuous roll, you tear what you need only and can be more specific on the site you want to receive the heat. A good 10 to 12 hours of relief as well! I never travel without it!

Just a suggestion!

I use the Icy Hot Patches -- have never seen the Roll in our stores.

About five years ago a close family friend of my parents who was in his early 80's was sleeping and had left the heating pad on. He awoke several hours later to the smell of smoldering blanket and his wife calling 911.

The paramedics told his wife that a few more minutes and they both could have died in a fire. The pad was set too high and got pressed against the metal bed frame. He suffered 3rd degree burns to almost half of his body. Several months later he passed away.

From that moment on I took every heating blanket and pad out of my parents house and threw them away.

That is so sad. It was smart of you to throw out the ones in your parents' house. It would be so easy for an elderly person to fall asleep and a tragedy like this happen.

My condolences on your loss of your friend.

Just a suggestion!

Does the roll stick better than the patches? I tried the patches but they come off too easy. Do they have an odor? I found Icy Hot Athritis which really works well but has a strong odor.

There's always the old fashioned hot water bottle, filled from the tub spout (or the hot water dispenser in the Lido, if they'll let you do that). No fire danger from those!

What an excellent idea. I'd forgotten all about the old rubber hot water bottles. :)

Interesting I never thought to ask , hurt my back before our November 2011 cruise, took a heating pad , left the pad in clear sight in suite for the entire cruise nobody said anything.

Interesting I never thought to ask , hurt my back before our November 2011 cruise, took a heating pad , left the pad in clear sight in suite for the entire cruise nobody said anything.

Nor would I expect them too. As has been shown (and stated) in numerous threads - HAL does not believe in confrontations with passengers. They expect passengers to behave as mature adults and follow the rules. (And use common sense, of course.)

Archived