Australia and Pacific Islands on Carnival Legend questions. Help!

kstom1

Help! New to Carnival and have never been to Australia. We're visiting Noumea, Isle of Pines and Lifou.

Would love some advice on the ports. What currency is used on the islands? Are US dollars accepted?

Does the ship dock or tender? Any suggestions on tours in these ports? Would love a resort day, beach day or snorkeling.

Thanks!

Hello,

First off, US dollars aren't generally accepted on the islands, however small Australian notes are. At these three islands the local currency is Pacific Francs. The ship will be happy to sell them to you, but less inclined to buy them back.

Noumea: - ship is docked at the container terminal, free shuttle bus provided to the cruise terminal. If taking a ship tour they generally pick you up at the ship. In terms of tours, the sky's the limit here. The one everyone seems to love is Amandee Island, an island with the lighthouse on it. This is a beach/snorkelling trip. Downside is it's quite expensive. Another good spot for beach/snorkelling is Duck Island, the boat should have a tour that takes you out there, but its also easy enough to get there on your own. Other good spots are Anse Vata or Bay de Citron again boat or self tour options available. There is also a tour from the boat where you go out into the lagoon areas to snorkel. You also have cultural tours here, though if you're happy to do it yourself, tours from the cruise terminal are cheaper than the boat, just make sure you're back on time. Mostly Pacific Francs accepted here but Visa/MasterCard etc are usually accepted.

Isle of Pines - tender port. Not a lot to do here. I did a high speed boat tour here that was fantastic, they found us a turtle to see and pat and also gave us some beach time on a separate island. This island is mostly a beach/snorkel day and if you're wanting to know the best locations, I think they've been listed on here before but mostly follow the crowds to the other side of the island. There is a hotel here that will allow you to use their facilities for a price, and also allow you in the bar etc. Locals are wondering about selling various things including food and drink. Pacific Francs or small AUD accepted. Except for the resort no card functionality.

Lifou- tender port. Again, not a lot to do. You can het a pass from the ship to snorkel in the best spot but you can snorkel right next to the tender pier and still get a good view, ofter turtles floating around. There are a couple of boat tours but not many, they may take you to the other side of the island or the vanilla plantations. You can also walk up to the church on the hill. Again Francs and small AUD, no cards.

In Australia, obviously AUD is the only thing accepted but cards are everywhere. Not sure if you are leaving from Brisbane or Sydney but either way you should have some great things to see in the cities. I'm assuming from the USD comment that you are from the States, be warned our bread isn't sweet, that is one thing that seemed to get my American friends.

Feel free to ask more questions. And have a fun time!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, I am not 100% sure on the buying Francs from the ship. I have been on Legend and Spirit and do not recall a being able to exchange currency, but I haven't been on in a year, so it may have changed.

I will let you know what we have done on each port (family of 2 adults 2 children). We don't really have the same style of resort days as you do in the Caribbean, so keep that in mind.

Noumea: as stated above, the ship is too big to dock in town, so you are in the industrial port. You cannot walk through here and so there are free shuttle buses that go back and forth to the terminal in town.

1. Once in the terminal we booked an hour long tour of the town and this included the Hop on/Off bus. Tour was great and informative with photo stops. With young chn our first stop was to the playground and then Lemon Bay for a swim and snorkel.

2. Booked with Alfred (google gateway tours Noumea) and went to Escapade Island for the day. Really good day with lunch included. He is very popular and has a number of tours if you wanted to check him out.

3. Caught a bus to the aquarium (actually really good, small, but only $20 for the family) and then swimming at the beach Anse Vata (sorry that is so not right, but similar!)

4. This time we walked around town for the morning and then did a Carnival snorkeling tour.

5. We haven't gone yet, but will be there in Dec, we are going to go across to Duck Island

Isle of Pines: this may be confusing, but stay with me. You tender in, there is a beach right there, but if you walk to the left when you get off and follow the path, keeping the ship on your left, there is another beach with Sacred Rock in the middle. Great snorkeling here and really nice calm beach. My husband also jumped on a local tour to the Natural Aquarium (natural swimming hole) and said the snorkeling was even better.

Lifou: small local market as you step off. Walk up and over the hill to Jinek Bay.Book this "tour" on the ship as they only allow a certain amount of people a day in the waters here. Magnificent snorkeling. Its not really a tour as you just go yourself, but it means you get the chance to snorkel here. Walk up the hill and see the church with great views. We then went back to the main beach, relaxed, hired a kayak and had fun. There were locals selling tours and bikes to hire. My husband went for a walk and say some great sights.

I don't know how to put photos up, but if you let me know your email, I can send some through.

Some other points to note. Once the Legend leaves Hawaii, it is now an Australian ship, in Australian currency, electrical points....and bacon (we did not like the bacon we had in Alaska and on the Carnival Dream!) Gratuities are included in the fare, so unlike the US Carnival ships you don't see this charge on your account, nor can you remove them.

Have fun planning!

We were just in New Caledonia for a week and we got some money from an ATM. We really needed some cash as it is quite expensive there (slightly more than Australian prices) so, eg, a couple of ice-creams cost about $A15. We were able to use credit cards a fair bit. New Caledonia is basically a part of France and less English is spoken there than in France.

In Australia just use ATMs, cards or change money in the city centres at currency exchanges,