How much pain will you live with for a dress shoe?

lasparrot

I purchased a really cute pair of patent 'non-leather' slingbacks that I totally love, however, like any shoe with a heel they cause me pain due to a swollen knuckle on my big toe.

I've been wearing them around the house to see how bad it is and have found that while the pain isn't huge, they are uncomfortable. I would wear them with a dress to dinner on the ship and probably change into flats after supper. Is it worth it to look good for a little while? How much discomfort do you endure in the name of fashion?

Thanks - I look forward to hearing your answers! Laura

Think I might return them and go for real leather or suede which will 'give', once worn in.(.or worn with socks around the house.) Or perhaps fabric ..microfibre ??

You might also be able to get leather/suede stretched at an old fashioned cobber's shop.

There are also devices called shoe stretchers that might help expand the width. I bought one in a market..takes a long time to work though.

Don't think synthetic shoes have much stretch/ give.

Good luck.

I made the decision to abandon high heels after an awful experience a few years ago. It was my son's graduation from University and I wore some cute heels. Sadly I was very uncomfortable and could barely walk at the end of the day. An important event and extremely happy and exciting day was marred by my shoe discomfort. I never put them on again.

I did buy some cute wedges after that, though - very fashionable and comfortable because my weight is balanced over the entire foot instead of on one small point of my heel. Much better. :D

What is uncomfortable while walking around your house will be excruciating after walking around a ship. At least it would be for me - I walk a LOT more on cruises, even if it’s just to dinner and back to the cabin. If it were me, I would find another pair that doesn’t cause pain. :)

I purchased a really cute pair of patent 'non-leather' slingbacks that I totally love, however, like any shoe with a heel they cause me pain due to a swollen knuckle on my big toe.

I've been wearing them around the house to see how bad it is and have found that while the pain isn't huge, they are uncomfortable. I would wear them with a dress to dinner on the ship and probably change into flats after supper. Is it worth it to look good for a little while? How much discomfort do you endure in the name of fashion?

Thanks - I look forward to hearing your answers! Laura

See you are on our Panama Canal Cruise next January :)

I have some dressy low pumps from Earth shoes for that. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013JLCH0W/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

Also have Romika dressy flat and wedged sandals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4H6QT8/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KY78P4Q/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I watch for low prices on Amazon and then pounce.

They feel so good with arthritic joints.

Hi Laura, back again to ask if you would consider a wedge sandal or another kind of sandal with a thicker heel? I see you are in Canada as am I; here are a few to just start thinking about:

https://www.ninewest.ca/products/pruce-20?variant=1538662924293

https://www.ninewest.ca/pages/search-results?findify_limit=24&findify_q=wedges%20sandals

What do you think? Super cute, new, up-to-date, but look more comfortable than the regular slingback heel you have described.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Yes, it is crazy to wear something uncomfortable... I usually wear blundstone boots or keen sandals, neither of which are good with a dress. It is tricky for me to find a shoe as anything that presses over the joint of my right big toe is uncomfortable. I was stomped on by a horse years ago and that joint has some arthritis. Something strappy is way out.

The heel is a good height and I find them very easy to walk in (even did 1/2 mile on the treadmill with them on), but they do press a bit on my big toe.

Maybe I have to take them back :-( or at least leave them home for our next cruise... or bring them and wear them one night for formal night and give all you helpful ladies an opportunity to say 'I told you so'!

See you are on our Panama Canal Cruise next January :)

Yes! We have been booked for several months. It started off just us, then another couple decided to join us, then the friends we've cruised with before, then her cousin, and now her cousin's friend, so it should be fun!

Thanks for the shoe suggestions. I have such a time with finding shoes that I only order online when it is possible to do a store return. Someday I might get adventurous and risk Amazon.

Hi Laura, back again to ask if you would consider a wedge sandal or another kind of sandal with a thicker heel? I see you are in Canada as am I; here are a few to just start thinking about

Those are cute, thanks for putting in the link. I think I'd be in the same boat as the slingbacks though :-( My best bet is a loafer that comes up high on my foot, but would't that look sweet with a LBD :eek:

Maybe I need to stick with pants where you can't see my foot.

Yes! We have been booked for several months. It started off just us, then another couple decided to join us, then the friends we've cruised with before, then her cousin, and now her cousin's friend, so it should be fun!

Thanks for the shoe suggestions. I have such a time with finding shoes that I only order online when it is possible to do a store return. Someday I might get adventurous and risk Amazon.

Panama will be very casual for me so no shoe issues on that one.

If you have Amazon prime it's easy to do returns. We have really limited shoe stores here so Amazon is my go to place. I tend to wear Tevas or go barefooted in the house.

Those are cute, thanks for putting in the link. I think I'd be in the same boat as the slingbacks though :-( My best bet is a loafer that comes up high on my foot, but would't that look sweet with a LBD :eek:

Maybe I need to stick with pants where you can't see my foot.

I often wear a long black dress from Chicos Travellers line with black flat sandals.