Budapest Thermal Baths - Options Wanted

pflorio994

Gellert for a December visit. These are very close to where the Viking ship docked in 2014....easy to do on your own.

I would only take the time if you have seen the other great sites in Budapest.

It is a perfect choice for arrival day when jet lag and energy may be a factor.

We visited Gellert Baths on our river cruise (Vantage). Not through the cruise line, on our own. It was the middle of July, 90+ degrees every day, it felt great. The pool was outdoors. It has a wave action that runs once every hour for about 15 minutes (knocked me down).

Has anyone been to the Lukacs Baths? They are the one that is free with the Budapest Card. We'll have a few days in Budapest prior to our cruise and have been thinking of visiting this one.

Look at photos (google them). Does it appeal to you? Not really to me.

Bring a swim cap or borrow one, costs money! I don't know whether they ask women with longhair only to wear a swim cap or everybody.

I visited the Gellert baths for the architecture, did not swim. It was fabulous. They sell bath towels, etc. with the logo and the quality is really good. A souvenir that is in more or less constant use. Be a little careful with the vendor near the entrance with his own souvenirs, he is very friendly but quite enterprising, so not so easy to say no to his offers. If he still occupies the right hand corner near the entrance that is.

Here is the link to the bath: http://www.gellertbath.com/

notamermaid

Personally I would not and did not waste time in the baths when there are so many museums and other places of interest to visit in a short time.

If you have more than a few days in Budapest the baths may be a pleasant way to spend a few hours.

Viking now offers excursions to the Budapest Baths. Question is it really worth the visit especially in December? Options / Comments appreciated.

We were on the Viking Tor last November for the Christmas Market Romantic Danube cruise and our visit to the Gellert baths was the first instance of the Romantic. It was magical! I will never forget that evening. Is it worth it? Yes yes and yes!

On embarkation day we checked in, took the walking tour offered by Viking and afterwards, with a few hours to spare before dinner, we headed up to the Gellert Baths on our own. There's really no need to do it as a Viking excursion unless you want to as it's quite close to where the ship docks. If you're fit and enjoy walking, it's an easy walk. We brought our swim suits and a towel from our cabin bathroom.

Upon entering the baths and getting your bracelet with the key code to the locker and changing into your suit (it's a personal changing room about the size of a small closet and only you have access to it) you can either "take the waters" inside or out. We chose the latter. We can go to indoor pools at any hotel in the world but the chance to be in water--in the winter!!!--outdoors is something unique for us and that's what we were after.

I will be frank. You're in a swimsuit with just a towel for warmth, in the winter, in the cold, in the great outdoors, and it's late in the afternoon and the sun is sinking and the outside thermal bath is up the stairs and down the path and you're freezing...where's the romance I'm speaking of??? :D Don't worry. It's on its way.

We scurried to the outdoor bath and got in the water quick as our shivering bones could bring us. Ahhhh, but the water was warm! Like hot tub warm but not with the itsy bitsy confining hot tub size. This was a nice sized pool with plenty of space to spread out. Very relaxing!

And the romance? It was the romance of a beautiful city and watching the sun sink and darkness take over and the lights of street lamps glowing and the views to Gellert Hill and the bridge and the pinch-me feeling that it's 30 degrees out and the air is crisp and you're outdoors in a swim suit and the steam is rising all around you...kinda surreal and romantic and fun and exhilarating all at the same time. Bonus points too for the sauna shed by the side of the pool.

So I guess if you're asking if it's worth it especially in December, I'd have to say Yes, especially in December, and especially if you sample the outdoor pool. But yes, the indoor ones are pretty nice too. ;)

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. I guess it might be worth it to carry our bathing suits since we will be in Budapest for 4 days as we took the extension. I have been to Budapest once before but never to the baths.

Thank you all so much for your thoughts. I guess it might be worth it to carry our bathing suits since we will be in Budapest for 4 days as we took the extension. I have been to Budapest once before but never to the baths.

I hope you do! We felt like we had a grand adventure. Budapest is known for its thermal baths and that is certainly part of the allure of this wonderful city. By the way if you buy the Budapest Card, a visit to the baths is included as are admissions to many museums. We had three days prior to the cruise in Budapest and I think we wore the Card out. ;)

I will be frank. You're in a swimsuit with just a towel for warmth, in the winter, in the cold, in the great outdoors, and it's late in the afternoon and the sun is sinking and the outside thermal bath is up the stairs and down the path and you're freezing...where's the romance I'm speaking of??? :D Don't worry. It's on its way.

We scurried to the outdoor bath and got in the water quick as our shivering bones could bring us. Ahhhh, but the water was warm! )

hopefully the "romance" kept you warm on the way back to the changing rooms after you were wet!:eek:

I would also like to know which Spa you visited. At this point, via photos on line, I like Rudas. Anyone had experience with this bath house.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 1 year later...
We opted for a luxury day spa instead and had a wonderful half day experience for a great price! Next trip we will return to the same one.

I would vey much appreciate knowing the name of day spa too. Thank you.

hopefully the "romance" kept you warm on the way back to the changing rooms after you were wet!:eek:
Somehow I missed this thread from several years ago. Some years ago I swam in Deception Bay, Antarctica in 31F water (salt water can get down to 28F before freezing). No romance in this world (or perhaps the next) would have warmed me up at that point. At least I got a pass to cut the line for the tender back to the ship.