Putting luggage out on the last night...ughhh!

mcgratru

I never pack anything of value in my luggage that I check or leave outside the door. I keep valuables with me in my carry on. I have TSA locks for my luggage to assist honest people stay honest. Just a thought for those that take a bag not belonging to them, there may be contraband in that bag that Customs are aware of and watching for who claims it.

I suspect that most people who take a bag that does not belong to them are idiots, not intentional crooks. Why these people are unable to take 3 seconds to verify the name on the tag is something I'll never understand. I had one of my bags removed from a luggage carousel. Three days later, it was dumped at the Budget rental place, and ultimately returned to me. When I arrived home 2 weeks later, there were multiple messages on my answering machine asking ME to return THEIR suitcase. Ummmm---I never had their case. And the only reason they could call me is that they ultimately read the tags on the case THEY took.

Bottom line, after 3 rather uncomfortable days, I did get my bag returned....and I confirmed that there are some very careless people in the world. The funny thing is that the bag that was taken is one of our more remarkable looking bags, not the standard black.

Guess this is another good reason to do a land portion before the cruise (which we had done, thankfully).

Edited by moki'smommy

For me, it is not so much that anyone would steal your bag, it's more that every time you give your bags away to someone, you take the risk of a mistake being made (human error) or just quite simply losing them. If you are able bodied and can manage these bags and for quickness sake, we always take our bags off ourselves. It's one less thing to worry about. I worked with the cruise lines and bags do get "lost" more often than you know!

:loudcry::loudcry::loudcry:

I suspect that most people who take a bag that does not belong to them are idiots' date=' not intentional crooks. Why these people are unable to take 3 seconds to verify the name on the tag is something I'll never understand. I had one of my bags removed from a luggage carousel. Three days later, it was dumped at the Budget rental place, and ultimately returned to me. When I arrived home 2 weeks later, there were multiple messages on my answering machine asking ME to return THEIR suitcase. Ummmm---I never had their case. And the only reason they could call me is that they ultimately read the tags on the case THEY took.

Bottom line, after 3 rather uncomfortable days, I did get my bag returned....and I confirmed that there are some very careless people in the world. The funny thing is that the bag that was taken is one of our more remarkable looking bags, not the standard black.

Guess this is another good reason to do a land portion before the cruise (which we had done, thankfully).[/quote']

I use duct tape and make a big X on each side of the bag.

We have never ever worried about things going missing from our luggage.

For starters, we don’t have anything but junk. I would hand carry any valuables including nice handbags with me.

In nearly 2 dozen + cruises nothing has gone missing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey 4cats! We just can't get away from CC, can we!

I have no concerns leaving bags out with the 13 cruises I have been on. Princess is very efficient and bags are removed from hall quickly. Valuables are kept in my carry on.

Years ago I accidentally took the wrong suitcase on a trip to Vegas. When I got to the hotel I threw the bag on the bed and opened it up and thought...What the .....? :eek: The bags were identical! I called the airport and my bag was there. I hand delivered the wrong suitcase to the other person's hotel and had to pay the airline $13 for my bag to be delivered to my hotel. Lesson learned! I always use a mixture of colored ribbons now and always doublecheck before I take the bags from the carousel.

This kind of freaks me out. Not only the idea that anyone going by in the hall could take it but that they can also just walk up and take it once off the ship.

We did this once on our first cruise and we could have taken any bag we wanted in the terminal without anyone stopping us.

It also means that our baggage has been out of our control between packing it and presenting it at airport security.

We have always self disembarked since (and only ever have one bag each) and always been early getting off.

Cruise in July out of FLL and don’t need to be off early as our flight is not until 3:00....is there later self disembark?

You can leave anytime you like.

I do. I would imagine the TSA keeps them tightly held. Could these locks be picked? Just like any lock yes. But the chances are slim and I would prefer spend $10.00 for a little piece of mind.

Uhh... Sorry. That ship has long since sailed. :')

There are 7 "Travel Sentry" master keys. The Washington Post published a hi-res

photo of them back in 2014. A little computer time, and STL files are now widely

available on reputable websites. Load the STL files into a "3D printer" ($150 and

up) and it will print workable keys for about 60¢ per set.

The single "SafeSkies" master key was solved the hard way about 2 years later

by simply buying a bunch of SafeSkies locks and taking them apart to see what

was what inside.

Search YouTube for "TSA 3D printed keys".

A friend of ours accidentally took the wrong bag from the NY port. They went to the airport and got a call about half way to JFK, they had the wrong bag. They were so embarrassed (and fought the whole way home, wife yelling at husband) Anyway, they and the real bag owners met up at the airport and switched bags. The real owners were livid(don't blame them). But my friends also almost missed their flight waiting to switch bags.

Be careful and check twice. We only take carry on and walk off with our own bags. :cool::cool::cool:

A friend of ours accidentally took the wrong bag from the NY port. They went to the airport and got a call about half way to JFK, they had the wrong bag. They were so embarrassed (and fought the whole way home, wife yelling at husband) Anyway, they and the real bag owners met up at the airport and switched bags. The real owners were livid(don't blame them). But my friends also almost missed their flight waiting to switch bags.

Be careful and check twice. We only take carry on and walk off with our own bags. :cool::cool::cool:

You only have to read a luggage tag once to determine whether you not YOUR name appears on the tag. The problem is the people, like those described above, who don't bother to read the tag.

Yes, colored yarn, tape, other funky ID things make it easier to identify your own bags, but the bottom line is that you should verify by looking at the name tag. And if you fail to do that, whatever consequences occur are your own fault.

The 3D-Printer data files for all 7 TSA master keys are readily available on the internet at (otherwise) reputable open source download sites. Limit checkedbags to (preferably dirty) socks and jocks. :o

Someone needs to let the TSA know about how readily available the keys are.

I say this because at one airport a couple of years ago there was a sign at the closest place to drop off the luggage that TSA had no keys at that place, so if you did not want your locks broken off the suitcase then you had to bring your bags to another drop off location where keys were available.

Someone needs to let the TSA know about how readily available the keys are.

I say this because at one airport a couple of years ago there was a sign at the closest place to drop off the luggage that TSA had no keys at that place, so if you did not want your locks broken off the suitcase then you had to bring your bags to another drop off location where keys were available.

The TSA is well aware. A spokesman was widely quoted back in 2016 as saying

that other people having the keys and able to get into luggage before they inspect

it "doesn't affect aviation safety".

Maybe the TSA folks at that place should have borrowed keys from the nearest

airline baggage handler.

I do. I would imagine the TSA keeps them tightly held. Could these locks be picked? Just like any lock yes. But the chances are slim and I would prefer spend $10.00 for a little piece of mind.

Picking takes time, a bald point pen takes seconds to get into most any bag, locked or not.

Bags can be taken in error, it happened to my mom. I picked her up at the airport and we could not find her suitcase, but there was one similar to hers still on the belt. We checked with airport workers and they insisted we open the remaining bag, because my mom night be confused, the tag may have fallen out, etc. We were surprised to find a priests vestment inside, but not as surprised as he must have been to find an old ladies dirty undies and bras. There was identification inside so eventually my mom got her bag back.

For years I have used customized luggage straps with my name on it. Before using these straps I had luggage problems. Signature Plus Ltd - Home of the strap is the website.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We always use combination locks.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Look carefully, if they are "TSA Approved", they also have a keyhole for the TSA.

If they are TravelSentry, the keyhole will even be marked "TSA00#", from 1 - 7.

(All SafeSkies locks use the same, eighth, key)

There is but you just need to be sensible.

We have been to Orlando 30 times since 1992 and love the area.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

Of course but it doesn't hurt to be cautious about putting anything of value in a suitcase left in the hallway. If we bring anything of value it remains with us all the time.

Whatever we give to Princess to take off the ship are articles that no one would want to steal anyway.