All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

One of the best pieces of advice Kim gave me yesterday was that I shouldn't take any clothes that I love. Between the dust, mud (sometimes black), harsh laundry conditions, and other stresses, I should count on things being trashed by the end of the trip, and we might just leave them behind. She recommended shopping Goodwill, which is an excellent idea. We also talked colors because, in spite of what is recommended, you see people in Google images wearing all sorts of things. She reiterated that blending in is important: khaki, olive, muted greens, tan. Tse tse flies are attracted to dark colors, so no black, brown, navy, purple, and especially royal blue.

One guy on TripAdvisor wrote that a woman in their vehicle wore bright yellow sneakers and scared away anything that was near. They all wanted to feed her to the lions (but they had been scared away by her shoes :P).

Things I can shop for DH now are:

1 pair convertible pants (one of his is bright blue)

performance shorts in a light color (we NYers and all our black!!)

3 or 4 tshirts (most of his are verboten colors or have wild designs on the front)

shoes

wicking socks

a Columbia-style hat with a brim (not baseball cap)

For me it's more complicated because I'd like to drop weight before we go. The big M is really getting in my way, but we will see as summer gets nearer whether I can start losing again. For now I'm looking for:

Two long-sleeve SPF shirts with pockets (won't matter if they're too big in January)

performance shorts in a light color

shoes

wicking socks

a new hat (mine is black and dark green)

For my tshirts I will either take Kim's advice and shop Goodwill, or take anything I have that's suitable that I don't want to keep (hopefully because it's too big). This can wait until the end of summer. Believe it or not, it's been so cool here I haven't even gone through my summer clothes to see what I have that fits yet!

For shoes, I've been checking sales and I find summer hiking shoes from last season in the $35 ballpark, so I will probably order those soon. For DH, I think he'll do best with some cheap sneakers in a better color than he has (white and navy). They only have to work for him for the those weeks, and he can leave them behind for someone if he doesn't want them.

The convertible pants I might buy in June before they are sold out for the summer. The ones I have are a small size 10, really closer to an 8, so I would have to really get serious if I expect to fit in them. I may not want to take that gamble.

I hope this isn't TMI.

I've been really fortunate to find some great things at Goodwill. I've found DH some REI brand convertible pants and many other things that could be what you're looking for. And if you are shopping a place like Goodwill, you might have a better shot at finding what you are looking for in places where those things get donated...which I'm thinking may be more likely to be more south than more north...but maybe I'm biased like that. IDK. But it just seems like that's the kind of thing that could be found easier here second hand than there. So if you want some help with your shopping...I'll totally help you.

SO, I ALMOST ditched a pair of Columbia convertible pants with my last purge. I actually had to go check to see if I still had them because I thought I'd let them go! But I have them. They are a L. They are that olive khaki color...not the tan...the kind of not green, tan green, but not tan color that is perfect safari. If you're interested, they're yours because like I said...I didn't even think they made it through the purge.

For your shoes...really have to recommend that you shop REI. You might not get the absolute best price there BUT they have the best return policy. A lot like Athleta. 100% satisfaction guaranteed. One year return policy. So you can get your shoes with confidence that if they just aren't fitting like you thought they would while you're trying to break them in...you can take them back.

Last night was our grandson’s graduation (50 years to the day that Les & I graduated). The red, white, blue cord indicates he’s going into the Air Force (he leaves on 5 June, 50 years to the day that Les left for AF) e5d7335bd87169f99d74d48f99b76ee3.jpgcd60bc14afcbf667dedaf729604a5c03.jpg. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Congratulations Melody ,

Margaret , Do not worry about buying summer clothes now . You can always order from Beall's . They stock summer stuff year round and carry a lot of under Armour and Columbia at good prices .I recently bought two pair of loose yoga pants from Under Armour and I am so impressed with the quality .It is so interesting hearing about your preparations for this trip .

Melody, he got so tall! It looks like you all had a very special day. Hey, didn't you get skinny! You both look great considering the week you've had. Hopefully some well-needed rest is coming your way.

Sally, I didn't think of Beall's because we don't have them here, but that's a great idea.

I like this idea for my personal item/daypack. I like the water bottle pockets and it looks easy to rummage around in, plus it's very light weight:

https://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-lightweight-travel-tote-1350-cu-in?CMP_SKU=PAT00P8&MER=0406&skid=PAT00P8-DOLBL-ONESIZ&mr:trackingCode=4709BF90-58F5-E711-8102-005056944E17&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&k_clickid=c2d99c8b-e953-42c0-80fd-97930b749529&rmatt=tsid:1042790%7Ccid:292605517%7Cagid:20467850917%7Ctid:aud-309301033560:pla-431912660849%7Ccrid:92885921677%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:4486144436196596849%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:4o35%7Cmt:%7Cloc:9004331&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqfnn7s2K2wIVhpOzCh0nzgYJEAkYIyABEgLGrPD_BwE

That's a great bag! Hmmm.... It's striking me as a glorified string bag honestly. Something super lightweight packable but with decent enough shoulder straps to not cut in. One comment was wondering why the one zipper was sideways and honestly I would say that would make a couple items easily accessible for your partner to get out of the bag while you still had the bag on your back.

Bright sunny day for graduation! I had the same thought as Margaret...we're finally getting to see the slimmer you Melody!

Those vertical pockets are for when you just want to swing the bag to one side and get something small out. Very handy. My first backpack purse had one and it's where I kept my keys for easy access. I'm really liking that green color.

I had the string on my backpack break while I was in the Galapagos. Actually the rivet corner just ripped right out while we were on a hike (it was a Nike one). Not a lot of shopping to be had there! I wouldn't take one of those on an adventure trip again. This one looks sturdy enough to hold my camera and tablet but still be lightweight itself. I also like the handles because for traveling I will have my tote slung across my shoulders.

We're not actually going to be on our feet a lot. In the national parks you are not allowed out of your vehicle. They have a pop top so you can stand up to look and take pictures, but they can close it for safety. A more likely event is what I would call a nature walk in one of the private reserves, and of course we'll be walking around the camps we stay at.

Anita, I'm surprised those pants didn't make it into your Alaska plans. If you really don't want them, I may take them off your hands if you can wait a couple of months.

Yeah...I don't know if they would go to Alaska or not. The thing about them is that the waist is a bit tight? It's discouraging to admit but I've gotten a little thick in the middle and so I'm not sure if they fit actually. I've been more active with the warmer weather so we'll see if they go or not. Regardless...they aren't my favorite pair of pants at all...and I wouldn't be sad at all to see them go away, which is why, even if they do go to Alaska...they could ALSO go to AFRICA...and they could STAY in Africa for all I care.

So you just let me know if they would be useful to you and I can send them your way.

Anyone spend time on Pinterest? I was sucked into a promotional post on Pinterest for leggings. They were so inexpensive that I decided to give them a try. I can't talk to their longevity OR to whether or not the knees bag at this point...BUT...I'm very happy to report that at first touch and wear...I LOVE them.

https://www.hills32.com

They do not lie when they say ultra soft. And I'm most impressed with the fact that the design stays absolutely true when the fabric is stretched. NO FADE in the coloring over the thighs or in any other area where the fabric is stretched. Frankly, I don't know how they did it and I'm amazed.

Pretty frustrating how many prints were sold out...I went with 115 and 138. I feel that what I saw online is pretty close to what I got. I got these leggings to wear with my new bamboo dresses that are a bit on the short side (rust and green). 115 goes with both...138 has some green like color in the pattern and so it goes with the green, but it does not go with the rust. Online, it looked like there might be a peachy color and brown...but IRL it's a lighter brown and a slightly darker brown.

I'll wear them around and report back on how much they bag in the knees after wearing them all day.

I wore the rust bamboo dress three days in a row and I'm very happy to report that it passed my stink test. No doubt that almost 100% bamboo (some small % of stretch) does WAY better on the stink test than the bamboo/cotton blend.

Wow, a lot going on here this week! I've had a busy week at work, plus my birthday, and now I'm sick. :-( I am feeling a bit better now though. I thought it was allergies at first until the chills and aches and pains kicked in. It seems like it is responding well to the usual things - lots of water, Tylenol and cold medicine.

Africa sounds like it would require so much research and planning. I love doing those things, though I'm not in the right place in my life right now for that. I think it would such an amazing experience! I am enjoying reading about your plans, and can't wait to hear about your experience and see pictures. When you first started planning, I was thinking it was going to be quite a ways away, but January of 2019 will be here pretty quick.

I have what I will call a mini backpack from Eddie Bauer that is pretty neat. It won't do the trick for what you need, but I have often thought about how I don't like backpacks for a number of reasons. I think they have a lot of options these days to suit your needs and style.

The mini backpack is ideal for one person, as it can hold a water bottle, camera and a few other things. I tested it out for 2 water bottles, bug spray and a few other things and that worked too, but it felt a little bulky. It only goes over one arm because it is small.

Melody, you're looking good! How are you feeling?

Sally, when do you leave?

I have found a few casual dresses that seem to be ideal for just running around in. I often see the styles I like, but they aren't in good colors. I found two this past weekend - one at the Loft Outlet and the other at the Gap Outlet, that work very well. One is a t-shirt dress. The other is a basic knit dress that is - gasp - a print. An earthy print. They both look great with just a denim jacket when it is cooler. What I would really love is to find a denim jacket in a rust or adobe color. I would get so much out of that.

Actually, the colors are olive, gold, peach and a color that is clay or adobe. It is warm and lawns towards rust. It has great colors for fall, but is put together in a way that make it perfect for this time of the year.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Hopefully this link works. There is a muted clay and a light peach color that are pretty good comparisons.

What do you think? https://pin.it/76w2pd7sbwh56g

That link is very helpful. My eye/computer screen views some of the colors differently (Olive looks more like Deep Taupe and the peach looks more like a cross between Deep Peach and Peach Pink).

Either way it's lovely:hearteyes: And I'm kinda proud of myself for recognizing that the dress has mostly fall colors but in a way that works for spring/summer too:halo:

My daughter found a really cute top and leggings at Bon Ton that I hope she'll let me borrow sometime. The top is between Rich Rose and Red Plum, and the leggings are mostly black but have Ivory/off white flowers with bits of Navy/Light Navy, Rust/Brick Red, and Red Plum/Dusty Rose.

Nice find on the Earthy print dress! The Pinterest link didn't work for me...but the photos seem good. It'll be interesting to see you in that print. I don't recall ever seeing you in something quite as detailed as that print. It's a nice take on a somewhat geometric print but not really.

I had worn my new bamboo dress to the movies and got movie butter splatters all over it. I went straight to the store and bought an OxyClean foam product with grease cutters and all that oil stain came right out. I'm so happy it did...I have several shirts with those oil stains...and nothing I've used before has ever really worked to get them out.

LOL Laurie I bought that dress about three weeks ago. :D I've been wearing it around the house after work. It's a really great EARTH dress, the green is perfect and the peach makes my skin look nice. I looked for a picture on the internet to post but couldn't find one, so I didn't bother. I find that even though it's a large pattern, it doesn't seem overwhelming at all. So comfy too.

Too funny. Maybe a few others will buy it and it can be like our Dressbarn shirt! I love that it is earthy but doesn't scream fall. When the fall actually rolls around, it will be easy to highlight the gold or clay like color. It is a dress you can wear 3 seasons.