Viking Ra river cruise Egypt

Moandjc

we are booked on Viking Ra ( maiden trip March 2018) for Dec 2018. Has anyone done the Pharaohs & Pyramids Trip since the new boat was launched?

Specifically interested if you did the optional excursion ($300+ per person)from Aswan to Abu Simbel via plane? Wondering if you got there to see sunrise at the temple?

As yet, Viking Ra has not sailed, there have been delays.

I think it’s first sailing has been pushed out to June.

We’ve also booked for 2020, and I’m waiting for the first reviews to come in.

I did the Nile with Uniworld in January. Our flight to Abu Simbel did not leave early enough to see the sunrise but the excursion is not to be missed. Well worth the cost.

I did the Nile with Uniworld in January. Our flight to Abu Simbel did not leave early enough to see the sunrise but the excursion is not to be missed. Well worth the cost.

Our flight didn’t leave till later, either. And I agree with you about doing this optional. Amazing site.

Pretty much the only way to be there for sunrise is to be on one of the lake cruises that moors there overnight.

The flights (or the road trips for that matter) do not leave early enough to catch the sunrise.

• 3 weeks later...

I am booked on the Ra for Aug of 2020. I too am waiting on the first reviews and pictures. Last I heard Viking is hoping the Ra will be ready for Oct. so, I hope, Moandjc that it will be ready when you sail and yours will be the first review I read.

• 1 month later...

I'd love to hear another update on the status of the Viking "Ra". We are also booked on the Ra for 2020 and I'm really hoping it will be sailing soon. I can't wait to see a positive review on the "new" ship posted. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of you sailing in late 2018 that you will be the first on the new Viking ship! :)

There are literally hundreds of ships not sailing on the Nile these days so for any cruises that are proceeding there is an unending choice of the very best ships afloat there for them to charter.

I do hope that you get the new Ra as you expected, and by 2020 it seems likely that you will, but whichever ship you do end up on is pretty much certain to be a great ship anyway...

• 2 months later...
As yet, Viking Ra has not sailed, there have been delays.

I think it’s first sailing has been pushed out to June.

We’ve also booked for 2020, and I’m waiting for the first reviews to come in.

The first ones are here. Just started in late August. Start on page 36 and work backwards. Flooding and tummy troubles.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2602031