All Things Vantage

FuelScience

I have done Vantage in France after Vantage had switched from fixed group Program Directors to Cruise Director/ Concierge/ Local Guides. But when we later did the Douro we had dedicated PDs with us the entire trip (the Madeira extension group had the same PD for the duration) and Douro Azul (from whom the boat was chartered) provided the CD. I am interested if that is still the case.

For those new to river cruises the guides under whatever name are professionals in every sense of the word. Licensed by region, language, etc and every one I have had prided themselves on taking excellent care of each person in their group. They are independent contractors and in general their only compensation is the tips you give them. Something to remember when tip time rolls around.

I'm not sure about the issue of Cruise Directors vs. Program Directors. In his email, Eleuterio described himself as "Tour/Cruise Director." I'll let you know whether they use PDs or local guides. One of the questions I asked the CD was whether he would be with us for the entire trip. He will be with us all the way from Madrid to the post-cruise extension in Madeira. It is my understanding that he works for Vantage rather than Douro Azul, but I'll find out. He is a native of Madeira, so he should be very useful in planning our free time there. It appears that almost 1/3 of the cruisers will be doing the Madeira extension. That extension was one of the factors that steered me to Vantage. Also, Vantage has changed their policy this year so that all tips for "local guides, drivers, and regional experts" are included in the base far. Tips for ship staff, cruise director, and city host are not covered and should be paid in cash.

As one of my trusted sources here on River Cruises, I wish you a GREAT trip. I did Vantage Douro two years ago (different boat, different itenerary, same river) and thoroughly enjoyed it. There have been posts of docking in the middle of nowhere, but I found a pub within walking distance in every Portuguese port. I’ll be interested in your experience.

I did NOT do Vantage Madeira extension, but I have been there. If you get a chance in Funchal go to the Blandy Wine Lodge. IIRC they would have poured us generous samples all day long (we had stopped elsewhere who poured us one [and only one] small sample to go with their hard sell). My father was curator of the Virginia State Arboretum located at Blandy Farm - I thought it interesting that it had the same name. I have since proven that Graham Blandy who donated the Arboretum property to the University of Virginia was indeed a cousin of the Blandys who are the largest shipper of Madeira wine (and “out of respect” I always keep a Blandy Madeira bottle in my collection - but someone keeps emptying it).

Thanks Thom!!

We're excited about the trip, and We'll definitely plan to visit Blandy while we're in Funchal. Good to hear that there are accessible pubs. Some of the docking sites look to be very "rural," and I was wondering if the only option for an evening libation would be on the boat. We leave a week from tomorrow, and I'll probably do a post next week on our "pre-cruise" experiences with booking, air, etc.

...Vantage has changed their policy this year so that all tips for "local guides, drivers, and regional experts" are included in the base far. Tips for ship staff, cruise director, and city host are not covered and should be paid in cash.
It is not a big issue for me whether the big tips (boat crew, long term guide) are included or not - I just price that in from the beginning and plan accordingly. It is the small tips that you often don’t have proper change for that I find annoying so I’m glad Vantage is addressing that. We used Vantage on the Irrawaddy and the Mekong and the guides paid for toilets (not sure if this was standard policy in SE Asia) which was one less thing to worry about.

IMPORTANT: tipping in Portugal is IN CASH. (The tax man takes 23% of everything charged)

Our one Spanish port did appear to be nothing but the old Customs House. River cruises don’t lend themselves to late nights but if you are so inclined the Douro with zero night sailing is ideal. Between generous wine at dinner topped off with included Port at the end I wasn’t exactly in need of additional drinks. We had one included full evening at a vineyard and several evenings with after dinner entertainment on the boat so no boredom factor.

I was well prepared for the rather cool sometimes rainy weather we had this early in the season, but more than once I loaned out gloves and wool watch cap to shivering less prepared individuals. I have gone to Uruguay and Argentina during their summer followed by Antarctica with only a carry-on, but I don’t go anywhere without my gloves and watch cap - 10-15 degrees of warmth with very low weight and volume.

We did the Douro flying Lufthansa and they were indeed enforcing their 8 Kg limit on carry-ons. 8 Kg in a daypack, 8 Kg in a small bag, hiking boots on my feet, Gore-Tex on my back and I can be ready for most anything. Laundry is your friend when it comes to light packing. Although I occasionally check a bag, I have been to each of the 7 continents with just a carry-on.

Edited by TravelerThom

Thanks Thom!

The Douro reviews by you and 4747Papa were great helps in planning our trip. I'm interested in seeing how Vantage does the one-way (Barca de Alva to Porto) trip. They don't specify, but I suspect that we may spend a couple of nights in one or more of the ports along the river. My wife has convinced me to check bags--the first time we've done so in 7 river cruises. We have long layovers in Philadelphia both going and returning home, so things should work out OK.

Thanks Thom!

The Douro reviews by you and 4747Papa were great helps in planning our trip. I'm interested in seeing how Vantage does the one-way (Barca de Alva to Porto) trip. They don't specify, but I suspect that we may spend a couple of nights in one or more of the ports along the river. My wife has convinced me to check bags--the first time we've done so in 7 river cruises. We have long layovers in Philadelphia both going and returning home, so things should work out OK.

We definitely check our bags, but I have learned the hard way (having luggage not meet us at the airport baggage claim area on 3 European trips), to take a carry-on with the "necessities" and a change of clothes - just in case. Our luggage always ultimately caught up with us, but it sure was inconvenient when we had not planned ahead.

Cole

I kept adding to this and it turned out to be LONG 😴

I wrote more details on the Douro than I usually do as Papa was trailing me by a few weeks so wanted to share what we had just experienced. I have been very lucky with my 20+ river trips; I only missed one day of sailing (2015 Vantage Rhône high fast water shut down passenger traffic [non-passenger traffic still ran]). IIRC both my and Papa’s Douro trips ran but the 3 in between had high water problems. (We were near high water but no issues.) If anyone wishes to “guarantee” their trip I’m available to sail with you at your expense 😁

Of our 7 nights on the Douro boat the first and last were in Porto (technically on the other side of the river) but we were otherwise in a new port every night. I think we were in 9 ports as at least twice the boat moved while we were on tour. Vantage threw in (as a booking incentive for a brief period) a no extra cost 2-3 night (at the moment not sure which) extension in Porto so we had plenty of time to enjoy the city. I rather doubt a multi-night stay anywhere but Porto but I’m sure you will enjoy whatever they provide.

I’m fully capable of getting uptight about stupid things, but my life is so much better when I relax and accept things that I can’t change. Examples:

1) stuck in Potosi Bolivia when a nation-wide general strike shut down all transportation. My flight from Santiago de Chile is 2 weeks out; somehow I’ll get there (and I did via a fantastic train ride from LaPaz to Arica in a 1938 Ford bus with rail wheels; the last year it ran; RIP).

2) My 48 hour train ride from Varanasi to what was then still Madras was running 8 hours behind schedule. A German traveler approached and remarked that I was very relaxed about all this. I replied that I had no reservations and we will get there sometime, I’m seeing the countryside and if I HAD to be in Madras I would have flown (phrased that way it sounds pretty snotty, my recollections were of a long and pleasant conversation). Again it helped that my flight out of then still Bombay was two weeks out.

3) In 2010 we flew to Berlin and several days later joined a Viking Elbe cruise (miraculously no water problems, but there was mud on the docks from the previous week flood) ending in Prague. 4 days later we joined a GCT Prague-Linz-Budapest Danube trip. Lyn had been in Prague in 1970 with lots of bullet holes still in the walls and I had spent an extremely pleasant, happy week in 1991 in Prague the same week that the Russians pulled out - talk about different experiences. Prague is a wonderful city but having been there before and having through Viking and GCT 4 nights there on this particular trip we looked for something else to do during our intervening 3 nights. I found a Czech internet site in Czech selling tickets to Warsaw for 19 Euros. Do I speak Czech? - no. Risky? - probably (okay, that’s an understatement - but only 19E risky. Left Lyn’s large bag with the hotel bellman in Prague and off we go to Warsaw and back without a hitch. Go to pick the suitcase up and the bellman says “I hope you are not going to the airport”; “no, why?” The volcano that blew up in Iceland had wrecked havoc on air transport. Lyn, normally the calm one, freaked out - WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO??? Relax, it is 10 days until our flight out of BUD and I am not going to worry about it for a week and if it is still a problem I’ll start thinking about it then. We don’t have a dog, we are retired and we have plenty of money and credit. I’m sure we can find something to do until we can catch a ship home. To her credit she calmed right down. Our flights ran as scheduled.

At one time I was a partner in a group that owned several Travel Agencies (disclaimer: not my best investment). For some reason they turned down my tag line of “Any trip can be turned into adventure by proper lack of planning”. Life is an adventure; enjoy it. At the same time treat others as you would like to be treated (and my several black marks here on CruiseCritic show I don’t always live up to that goal [unfortunately I have a hard time humoring idiots, and even more unfortunately occasionally assuming that a legitimate question had political implications]). I thank the Mods for tolerating me while simultaneously attempting to keep me in line.

We definitely check our bags, but I have learned the hard way (having luggage not meet us at the airport baggage claim area on 3 European trips), to take a carry-on with the "necessities" and a change of clothes - just in case. Our luggage always ultimately caught up with us, but it sure was inconvenient when we had not planned ahead.

Cole

Not everyone is interested in going as light as I often do. You have an excellent plan. I got talked into checking luggage with a 4 night stay in Barcelona before a a Transatlantic cruise. I’ve been the world many times but am a noice at checked luggage. Arrived BCN no luggage.

Day 1: “oh it’s still it LGW” but will be in tomorrow

Day 2: “We don’t know where it is”

Day 3: “We don’t know where it is”

Day 4: Delivered to our hotel shortly before our Transatlantic

:

It was getting trimesome to dry my few clothes with a hair dryer.

Ocean cruises book guaranteed docking spaces long before the sailing, but river cruises are different: there are fewer spaces at these small towns, lock traffic can upset planned sailing schedules, and the port master assigns the docking location at the last minute [and it may change even during the ship's stay in port]. That's why you have to call to find out where they were told to dock.

This also highlights the different attitude that river cruisers need to bring to the ship: go with the flow. River cruising is both more regimented [shore excursions are included, but you go when they tell you; dinner is one sitting for everybody] and more unplannable [if you try planning your own shore excursions, you may find that the ship has moved while you were out] than ocean cruises. But they have their own charm. Go with the flow, and enjoy your river cruise!

Thanks, I have done one other cruise out of Budapest, but we saw our boat the night before, so we knew where it was. This is my first Vantage cruise, so I am looking forward to the experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from my cruise from Basel to Amsterdam, my first trip on Vantage. I flew from DFW direct to Heathrow on AA, and onto Basel on BA. You have to watch for signs as you exit. My travel companion exited on the French side, and had to go back through the airport to the Swiss side The bus ride from the airport to the train station was quick and easy, and is free if you have a hotel reservation in Basel. We stayed at the Hotel Metropol in Basel, which was a little boutique hotel. It was very clean, and was about 5 minutes from the train station.

After sightseeing the next morning, we took a taxi to the boat at about 2 o’clock and were aboard the River Voyager. The ride was just over $40€. We were on the lower deck. The room was smaller than my room on Gate One a few months ago. The food, however was better.

We had two problems, neigh of which was Vantage’s fault. First of all it was cold and rainy most days, except for the day we sailed down the beautiful Rhine Valley. We also were there over Easter, and did not think about the fact that shops would be closed not only Good Friday, but also on Easter Sunday. We were unaware that the Monday after Easter is a bank holiday in Germany. The cruise was dubbed a Culinary cruise, and we had samples of food almost every day, and a visit to a beer garden another. We were docked just across from the train station, so for 5€ we took a train to the airport.

If you have specific questions, I will be glad to try to answer them. I can’t tell you about the tour in Amsterdam, because a friend who there picked us up and took us to the beautiful Keukenhof Gardens, where the tulips were in full bloom.

• 3 months later...

Signed up for Switzerland, the Rhine and Moselle for July, 2019. We found a Viator full day tour to Jungfraujoch in the Alps that we can take out of Basel. If you took this cruise i’d Love to know if you remember what time you arrived in Basel the day before departure.

Lot of variables...your cruise starts in Basel? Vantage is flying you in?

I'm taking this cruise in November. We bought our own airfare...you can fly direct to Zurich from a few places on the east coast of US/Canada, and then it's an hour train ride to Basel. Train station is in airport.

We could fly out of Montreal and land @ 0730, or Newark and land @ 1140.

Sure there are more options than that, those are the two that are driveable from where we live...I'm willing to drive to avoid Syracuse and having terrible connection issues. Buying your own airfare gives you max flexibility.

BTW, Newark-Zurich, Brussels-Newark departing 31 Oct, just purchased a week back for $631. Air Swiss out, United back.

We looked at doing a safari in Kenya and Tanzania and Vantage's price was about $8000 per person. Instead we found a great safari that is a bit shorter, but a little over half the price. We stay mostly in the same lodges as Vantage.

• 3 weeks later...

I just booked the Sept 6 2018 river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. Can you give me any "tips" on things to do and see in the different ports that aren't included in the itinerary? Did you find the walking tours to be too fast and/or too long? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We're leaving soon for the Douro with Vantage

Hope you had a great trip! We are booked for the Sept 14 Lisbon to Madrid on the Douro, and I was hopeful you could let us know how the trip went. Anything we shouldn't (or should) miss?

I just booked the Sept 6 2018 river cruise from Basel to Amsterdam. Can you give me any "tips" on things to do and see in the different ports that aren't included in the itinerary?

Hello Jerbet- We're taking this cruise in November, last sailing. We have been on the River Voyager before enjoyed it thoroughly.

The one thing that's caught my eye is that you don't have a lot of time in Trier. 2 days later you have a free day: from Vantage "explore Schweich on your own or just relax aboard ship. Alternatively, make an optional full-day excursion to Luxembourg, where you’ll pay your respects at the Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial, the solemn resting place for more than 5,000 US soldiers. You’ll also take a panoramic tour of Luxembourg City. "

Or, you can take a local bus from Schweich to Trier that day and explore on your own, it's about 15 minutes. Trier is one of the big attractions for me on this trip, looks like there is plenty to see. And if we see all we want to on the included tour, we can decide not to go, and maybe take advantage of the bicycles they have. You can register for those, massages, dining in Cotton club, in the concierge tab of your Vantage account.

Enjoy, hope you have a blast.

Hope you had a great trip! We are booked for the Sept 14 Lisbon to Madrid on the Douro, and I was hopeful you could let us know how the trip went. Anything we shouldn't (or should) miss?

We are on the Madrid to Douro in October, but this our second Douro cruise. We were on another ship, but enjoyed every excursion that was offered. One suggestion, if you have time on your own in Madrid, I would suggest that you do the Hop On tour of the city. The panoramic tour of the city is a bus ride, except maybe one or two stops. Doing the Hop On, you have the option of taking your time to see the beautiful city.

Cole

I'm not sure what we were thinking, but after 30 ocean cruises, we are trying a Vantage river cruise aboard the River Venture on September 4th. We will be spending four days in Versailles before the cruise leaves Paris for Normandy and then returning to Paris. I'm especially concerned that I am seeing so very little about Vantage river cruises and so much about Viking.

If anyone has any insights or (REALLY a long shot) will be on this cruise, please let us know. We have wanted to try river cruising for a number of years so this is it. I'm just hoping we don't regret it!

I'm not sure what we were thinking' date=' but after 30 ocean cruises, we are trying a Vantage river cruise aboard the River Venture on September 4th. We will be spending four days in Versailles before the cruise leaves Paris for Normandy and then returning to Paris. I'm especially concerned that I am seeing so very little about Vantage river cruises and so much about Viking.

If anyone has any insights or (REALLY a long shot) will be on this cruise, please let us know. We have wanted to try river cruising for a number of years so this is it. I'm just hoping we don't regret it![/quote']

We have done 3 Vantage river cruises/tours and been very happy with all of them.

We think Vantage provided more reasonable prices for the same quality of service of Viking. Also, you don't have to pay way upfront like with Viking.

We have done several ocean cruises and just returned from our first ever River Cruise and we traveled with Vantage. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip. While our cruise included the Danube, Main and Rhine I believe the amenities on the ships would be quite similar. The bathrooms on the River Splendor are far superior to any ocean liner we have been on. Europe is suffering drought conditions and the rivers are very low. Our ship was the only ship to make it through 1 very low stretch. The others had to disembark and either transfer to another ship further up the river or most had to continue as a "Bus Tour". Our cruise director work furiously to make adjustments so that we could continue to have the best experience possible. I'm not sure she got any sleep a few days!!. We were told that the owners of Vantage and Viking are brothers. I hope you enjoy your cruise

I'm not sure what we were thinking' date=' but after 30 ocean cruises, we are trying a Vantage river cruise aboard the River Venture on September 4th. We will be spending four days in Versailles before the cruise leaves Paris for Normandy and then returning to Paris. I'm especially concerned that I am seeing so very little about Vantage river cruises and so much about Viking.

If anyone has any insights or (REALLY a long shot) will be on this cruise, please let us know. We have wanted to try river cruising for a number of years so this is it. I'm just hoping we don't regret it![/quote']

Hi, we did the Paris to Normandy trip in 2017 following 5 days independently in Paris and we had a FABULOUS time. No complaints. Our cabin was clean and spacious (and we booked the least expensive one), service was wonderful, we found one waiter we really liked and made sure to eat within his station every evening. The guides were pleasant and knowledgable, you could choose your excursion pace, we did the extra one in the footsteps of Van Gogh, Good choice of food. Terrific trip, I would do it again in a hearbeat. Go, enjoy it will be wonderful

Oh Darn! We are doing the same cruise, but on Oct 10. We are flying over 5 days early to spend time in Paris, on our own. We have done several cruises on Vantage and have always been pleased with the ships and crew. The service has been excellent and the food outstanding. That is why we keep coming back to Vantage. Let us know how your trip goes and if there are any things you think we should not miss.

[/quote']

GregnChris

We are on the Madrid to Douro in October, but this our second Douro cruise. We were on another ship, but enjoyed every excursion that was offered. One suggestion, if you have time on your own in Madrid, I would suggest that you do the Hop On tour of the city. The panoramic tour of the city is a bus ride, except maybe one or two stops. Doing the Hop On, you have the option of taking your time to see the beautiful city.

Cole

Thanks Cole,

I think there is a small city tour in Madrid, but I always like the idea of taking my time when something interests me, and the Hop On tour might allow a bit more time. :)

Hope you have a great trip!

Annette

I think you made the right choice picking the Vantage cruise over Viking. Vantage is one of the few cruise lines that cruises as far north as Honfleur. Viking only goes as far as Rouen, which means long bus rides to Honfleur and the D Day beaches. Also, due to the size of the Viking ships, they aren't allowed to dock in Paris but must dock in the small town of LePeq outside the city. They do provide shuttle buses into Paris, but in my opinion it's much better to dock in Paris where you can walk off the ship and be right in the city. Viewing the Eiffel Tower at night from the deck of the ship is not to be missed!