Shadow, Aug 1st, Alaska

endosunshine

Just a note to any others who may be on this cruise - my SS agent told me yesterday that this cruise only has a few suites left. They expect it to be fully booked or very close.

So it appears that the Alaska cruises are doing well, even if other regions are "off" in bookings.:)

Just a note to any others who may be on this cruise - my SS agent told me yesterday that this cruise only has a few suites left. They expect it to be fully booked or very close.

So it appears that the Alaska cruises are doing well, even if other regions are "off" in bookings.:)

the prices were cut to the bone and then more

And here I was looking for total solitude:)

There are pros and cons with fully booked vs not so much. It really depends on the fellow passengers. I have never had a bad cruise either way. The only horrible time was in the Med several years ago when the ship was not full and they offered the rooms to around 40 or so travel agents. It was the most unpleasant experience ever.

I don't expect that to be the case. Everyone has benefited from the reduced prices and I am looking forward to meeting perhaps many new to Silversea.

Cindy

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings to our Cruise Critic fellow travelers on this cruise.

My wife and I just booked this cruise. Actually, we were booked on an October sailing with a different itinerary but due to some items that came up we were going to cancel the cruise. We looked for altnenatives and then spotted this cruise and had our booking moved to it just yesterday.

We normally book our cruises 12 months in advance and sometimes more even earlier. So, this is a first for us to book a cruise so close to the embarkation date.

Where we live we have had very hot weather way above the seasonal average for this time of year so we are lookinig forward to the cooler weather on this cruise.

My wife and I primarily sail with Crystal and have also sailed with Seabourn a few times. This will be our first cruise with Silversea.

Keith

We've sailed exclusively on Regent, but have always thought of trying SS. Are now looking at a last minute Alaska cruise. (We, also, usually book well in advance.) I looked at that Aug. 1 sailing (my 65th birthday!), and it looks interesting. The two things that make me hesitant are that we're not especially interested in sailing out in the ocean, and, more important, there's no Skagway in the itinerary. I can't imagine going to Alaska and missing Skagway. (Another consideration is that when I looked at excursion prices, I gasped. Regent's are complimentary now, except for a few of them where there's a modest upcharge.)

In short, Silversea has always had appeal for us. We may decide to join you this summer. In any case, happy sailing to all.

poss, I have to say that we didn't consider the prices of the shore excursions when we booked the cruise. With that said, what I would point out is that Silversea is giving each passenger a $500.00 shipboard credit or $1,000 per couple. And many of the large travel consortiums are providing another credit on top of that. So, we believe that these credits would equal if not exceed the value of free shore excusions and we can use these credits as we see please.

For us this sailing works out perfectly. We last sailed out of San Francisco to Alaska with Crystal (they used to do it R/T out of San Francisco) and we enjoyed this very much.

Good luck with whatever you do.

Keith

We are on Shadow out of SF on July 8. Anyone know how crowded/booked it is? I haven't seen anyone on the boards on this cruise and when we booked only 1 month ago, there was lots of room...

Looking forward to this cruise- haven't planned any excursions yet. If anyone is going and wants to share info....great. We're most likely making independent plans for glacier trips, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

We would be most interested in hearing about your SS cruise. We are considering Alaska on the Shadow in 2010 to escape this TX heat!! We have mostly sailed with Crystal and would like to get a report on the Shadow. joyous

Where we live we have had very hot weather way above the seasonal average for this time of year so we are lookinig forward to the cooler weather on this cruise.

Hi Keith. In preparation for your upcoming visit, Juneau is warming up. It's 84 degrees Fahrenheit now. :D

I'm really looking forward to your upcoming review.

After a couple of more days at around 105 degree (F) we are really looking forward to this cruise. It can't come sooner enough.

Our TA said that our cruise documents were sent out by Silversea today.

Keith

We received out final documents from at our home today. Has everyone else received them?

Because we had only booked this cruise a few weeks ago we also received our pre cruise documents as well but since we had taken care of filling out everything on line there was nothing we needed to do for that.

With the weather still 100 or more each day, we are looking forward to milder temperatures which is the main reason we booked this cruise.

Keith

Keith

We received our cruise documents about two weeks ago.

It is also hot here ranging around 90 degrees each day so we too are looking forward to cooler weather or at least I think I am. We choose these warm weather states for a reason.

We will be spending 3 nights in San Francisco pre cruise and then 2 nights post cruise in Vancouver. Anyone else doing the same?

Cindy

Cindy, glad you received yours. I guess our came later because we had recently signed up for the cruise. Normally, we sign up for cruises 1 or more years in advance so this was rather unique for us to sign up so late. We are also spending time in the Bay Area (both the suburbs and the city) before the cruise.

Keith

Keith,

I hope you have a great time on this cruise. I'm sure you'll like SS. Looking forward to hearing about it when you return.

Henry thank you very much for the good wishes. Yes, I will be sure to share our thoughts on the cruise either during and/or after we return.

Thanks again.

Keith

We are staying at Ritz Carlton in SF and Pan Pacific in Vancouver.

We are sort of celebrating a birthday. My husband's 40th birthday was last year and we were supposed to do this cruise last year. However, due to my work schedule I had to cancel and rebook for this cruise.

So - better late than never.

Cindy

Cindy and Endoshine, glad to hear that you both have celebrations.

We will be arriving to the Bay area early and are first staying in the suburbs as we are visiting friends and then will spend a couple of days at the Ritz Carlton as well. We have had many memorable times at this hotel.

Cindy, we have stayed at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver on two other trips. We thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and the city. This time we will be flying home on the day we disembark the ship.

Keith

Archived