Average age on Oceania Cruises

Chrissi3010

MaryPat, really NOT a problem! It may depend on your level of activity, but some the most active and interesting people I've met on Oceania have been in the older demographic. Now I'm there myself -- in terms of age, but I won't say about myself that I'm "active and interesting!" That's for others to do. Or not.

When we started sailing on Renaissance in 1999 we were among the youngest ... now we're among the oldest.

Better than the alternative, of course!

When we did the Bergen-North Cape-Bergen mailboat trip in August 1975 our seatmates at meals were two elderly German women. I'd say they were in their late 70s or early 80s. They were among the most active people I've ever met, and certainly very dynamic. On one of our port stops there was a small hill in town that they wanted to climb but they were hesitant to do so since no one they knew we around, and they felt it might not be safe to do so on their own. So they passed that up ... but that's about all they DID pass up on that trip.

Mura

This question really interests me, as our staterooms are on deck 7 above Martini's. I'm hoping that we won't have a wild, rollicking crowd in there whooping it up until 4 am. The cruise is to celebrate my 50th birthday, and my parents, sister, and I will be making our first visit to Scandinavia. I'm the one who talked them into a cruise, having been itching to get my parents onto a ship. They are actually in France right now, driving themselves around the Loire Valley. I think cruising would be a perfect way for my parents to get from hither to yon without the burden of hauling around baggage and making hotel and car reservations every time they change locations.

This question really interests me, as our staterooms are on deck 7 above Martini's. I'm hoping that we won't have a wild, rollicking crowd in there whooping it up until 4 am.

you will be lucky if many people are still up after midnight :D

Oceania does not attract the party crowd

Christine - it is very difficult to say definitively. It depends what you like on a cruise. For myself - mid 40's - a hectic lifestyle means that I like quiet when I cruise. I want to be able to relax by the pool or enjoy an evening meal without hordes of screaming kids. Like you we always do self-organised excursions. Oceania suits us very well (my mother is in her early '70's), although evening entertainment could be stronger (it is not what Oceania is known for). I don't stick out like a sore thumb on board, it's quite common to have late '30's upwards with the odd honeymoon couple but you will find the vast majority of your fellow cruisers are retired. That does not mean that the ship is a walking hospital; most of them seem to have more energy than me.......!

NIX70 - reading your post felt like I was reading my own post. I, too, am in my mid-40's and traveled on Oceania 2 years ago with my mom who is her 70's, and we're taking our second Oceania cruise in 1.5 weeks.

We enjoy Oceania for the itineraries, size of the ship, service and "elegantly casual" atmosphere. Leading up to our next cruise, I'm in the midst of a very stressful multi-year project at work. I'm looking forward to a port intensive itinerary coupled with relaxation on a ship that is not crowded and few, if any, young families. I'm not going on Oceania for the nightlife and constant stimulation of a party atmosphere around the pool, etc. - so Oceania suits us well.

For the most part, I've found the "older" (I'm saying that in jest) crowd on Oceania to be young at heart, well traveled, and very active individuals. I've very much enjoyed the people I've met.

When we traveled on an early summer (mid June) northern Europe itinerary 2 years ago, there was a sprinkling of passengers my age, passengers in their 50's, as well as passengers younger than me. In fact, we met two women in their 50's on an Oceania store excursion that we even made plans to meet for dinner later in the cruise. We also met a couple in their late 50's/early 60's that were on 2 of our Oceania shore excursions and enjoyed running into them and chatting throughout the cruise. As another poster mentioned, we too take advantage of the O shore excursions as part of OLife and haven't found the people on these shore excursions to slow us down.

Long story short... don't let the average age on Oceania deter you unless you are seeking a cruise with a robust nightlife.

Six days until we leave for Rome and 10 days until we set sail on our Mediterranean cruise... but who is counting. :D I can already feel the built up tension and stress from work releasing from my neck and shoulders. Ahhhh....

• 2 weeks later...

On Riviera terrace cafe lunch on a sea day.   Took an informal poll (yes I asked ages politely of course).  Opinion is average age around 65 on a 10 day mostly Greece itinerary. My CC M&G skewed a bit younger...a few 40's, mostly 50's. A few 70-80's.  

There are 462 Go Next assorted alumni (not us) about half seem to be still working, rest retired.  No children.   Very port intensive cruise, averaging about 5 miles and 12 flights in each port.

We took our first cruise on Renaissance (pre-Oceania) for my 50th birthday and are now in the over-65 group.  We didn't think we were too young on our first cruise and don't feel too old on this one!

The discussion about passenger age is interesting to me because when we took our first cruise, many years ago, a man and woman in their 60's were getting off our ship, going home to do laundry etc, and returning in five days to board another vessel. The man wore a medallion on a chain that showed he was a top loyalist on some line or other. My husband said that fellow is An Ancient Mariner, wow! We wondered how such a thing could happen. After more than fifty cruises, we now know. We also know that not everyone ages in the same way. From the beginning, we have always found people worth knowing and at all ages. We've noticed that passengers on Oceania and Regent seem to be more positive that those we met in our years of sailing QM2. As Manhattan residents. the Queen was just too convenient, as we were 30 minutes away. Now, we are 25 minutes from Port of Miami. If necessary, we do fly for other itineraries and even take land trips. It doesn't hurt that we live in a resort. Even during the official off season, there is always something to do here. It seems to me that what attracts us to cruising is that there is also something to do every minute. Just sailing across an ocean is fascinating, What's not to like?

Mary