VOIP possible onboard; Connect@Sea fees

Tuba25

I'm aware that these topics were discussed in separate threads several months ago, but I was hoping to get updated information. The information posted on various sites concerning VOIP was been contradictory.

VOIP:

Has anyone recently tried to use Wireless Dialing, Skype, Facetime, WhatsApp, etc. to try to make a voice call and/or to send/receive a (data-based) text message over the WiFi network of an Oceania ship to an off-ship phone? If so, what was their experience?

Connect@Sea fees:

Has anyone recently used Connect@Sea to call or send/receive a text message to a phone located off the ship. If so, what were the associated fees charged by Oceania? I called Oceania today the agent wasn't able to find any information concerning fees.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Edited by Tuba25

We used FaceTime on our Alaska cruise on Regatta last summer. Video and audio worked well-sometimes. Seemed like there were times of the day when it was not possible to get or keep a connection.

Better not make any promises to anybody about when/whether you will contact them.

Mary

We successfully used Skype video on our South Pacific cruise last year on the Marina. Be aware that off-business hours for the ships's offices and when the majority of crew is working are the best chances for making it work. Remember that the transfer pipeline is narrow and the less users competing for those resources will make more bytes and bits available.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm onboard Regatta now. WiFi bandwidth is spotty at best. There have been a couple times when I have been able to stream low quality audio, but those are the exceptions. For me, the best bandwidth options were between 11PM - 7 AM. I'm impressed that others were able to successfully use FaceTime and Skype.

The ship's network definitely does not support VPN.

Oceania's Fee Internet package does not include the use of the Connect@Sea app. I noticed that my login credentials for the browser-based Connect@Sea did not work on the Connect@Sea app. The person working in the Computer Lab informed me that there is a separate charge of $49/user even for passengers with the Free Internet package. Bummer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are on the Riveara now. We have used Facebook video chat several times without any issue. I run a VPN on a private server at home and have no issues connecting .

This is the best internet I have had on a ship. My worst speeds where 11Mbs down and 3 up, but in general it's has been in the 20/25 down 10 up range.

Latency is an issue and.will always be. Usually around 720ms. Sometimes what people take as slow internet is really just the latency.

Some commercial VPN products do not like high latency and refuse to work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

We are on the Riveara now. We have used Facebook video chat several times without any issue. I run a VPN on a private server at home and have no issues connecting .

This is the best internet I have had on a ship. My worst speeds where 11Mbs down and 3 up, but in general it's has been in the 20/25 down 10 up range.

Latency is an issue and.will always be. Usually around 720ms. Sometimes what people take as slow internet is really just the latency.

Some commercial VPN products do not like high latency and refuse to work.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Forums mobile app

And for those of us who have no idea what "latency" means in computer jargon:

http://www.howtogeek.com/138771/htg-explains-how-latency-can-make-even-fast-internet-connections-feel-slow/amp/?client=safari

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 year later...