Culinary Center: What To Expect

NCCruzQueen

Hi all,

I will be on Marina (first time on Oceania) in November and was considering signing up for one of the Culinary Center classes. I was on Regent Explorer last fall and attended two classes. What are some of your favorite classes?

Regarding liquids provided during class. What are your experiences?

Thanks a lot.

We enjoyed the Pasta class

we were served some Chianti with the food we made

We had done a Latino cooking class before & they made some tequila drink..as we do not care for tequila DH took a sip to taste

As far as the cooking part goes everything is laid out for you like you see on some TV cooking shows

i-MsS7QXG-L.jpg

The Chef shows you how to prepare the dish then you go to the station & cook the dish

When we did the pasta they had balls of pasta ready & we got to practice putting it through the pasta machine

then cooked the fettuccini Alfredo & ate it ;)

Edited by LHT28

I attended a class on Riviera a few years ago where we made four brunch dishes. I think this class is still offered. It was really enjoyable but don’t expect Cordon Bleu cooking. However, I am an enthousiastic hobby cook but did still pick up a few good tips from the chef. The dishes were delicious. As this class was in the morning, only water, tea and coffee were served if I remember it correctly.

You will have fun when you sign up for it.

We enjoyed the Pasta class

we were served some Chianti with the food we made

That sounds tasty Lyn. :) We did 2 cooking classes on a Greek cruise, one in Corfu and another in Crete. Both focused on healthy Mediterranean cuisine. I can't remember what the class names were but, in our experience at least, you can't go wrong no matter which class you choose.

Be sure to sign up ASAP. The classes fill quickly. If you are a solo student, you will be paired with another person.

We booked on embarkation day for the 2 we wanted (different cruises)

They were still advertising openings on some class through the cruise

If it is something you REALLY want to do then yes book in advance

We were not bothered it was something fun to do & use up OBC :halo:

JMO

That sounds tasty Lyn. :) We did 2 cooking classes on a Greek cruise, one in Corfu and another in Crete. Both focused on healthy Mediterranean cuisine. I can't remember what the class names were but, in our experience at least, you can't go wrong no matter which class you choose.

Yes it was a fun thing to do

It was a toss up between the pasta class & the Greek one

Now DH wants a pasta machine ..maybe we should have done the Greek one :halo:

Yes it was a fun thing to do

It was a toss up between the pasta class & the Greek one

Now DH wants a pasta machine ..maybe we should have done the Greek one :halo:

Ha ha Lyn, Jim wanted to get the pasta part for our mixer.....until he priced it. :eek:

I purchased the pasta attachment for our Kitchen Aid some years ago but found it not very useful -- the motor was so hot that the pasta strings came out fused.

I much prefer using my manual Atlas pasta maker. It does mean *I* do the work, but I don't mind. If I can make my own bread, then I can do my own pasta.

Mura

My wife did the Cooking with Jacques course on our recent Med cruise on Riviera, the description on the O website made it sound a very simple class about emulsions and dressings, but it actually entailed a full meal of a dressed salad, filet steak with asparagus and then a chocolate mousse dessert, with wine. She thoroughly enjoyed the 2hr class and Chef Kelly was very good. Best bit was I got invited in at the end to taste it all :)

Try not to have an early specialty dinner on the day you do the cooking class if it is not first thing in the morning. They do pair single cooks with one another in order to share some of the machines, tasks and ingredients. They are as said above all great and lots of fun to do on a sea day.

Have done multiple classes on both Marina and Riviera. All were wonderful. Book early, if you really want a given class. There were quite a few people waiting at the door, hoping for no shows; but I don't think any every got in. My husband took the knife skills class and loved it. Fish class and grilling class were great, as was the one on Tapas. Annie Copps was our instructor on both ships. She's fabulous.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, MoreyCreek said:

Does anyone know how far in advance the culinary classes are offered?  We are on the Marina next June and have only one sea day.  I was hoping to gift some classes for Christmas but none are announced as yet.

They  offer the classes as they acquire Staff to conduct them, usually within the 8 month window.  

Edited by JimandStan

1 hour ago, MoreyCreek said:

Does anyone know how far in advance the culinary classes are offered?  We are on the Marina next June and have only one sea day.  I was hoping to gift some classes for Christmas but none are announced as yet.

we  are  on an early April cruise  no classes listed yet

You  can always just give  a gift of an OBC  with a note  to use for the Culinary Class of their choice  ( they of course can use it for what they want)

Staring May 19/19  people can use OBC  to prebook  excursions, Culinary classes etc before boarding