Bathtub or shower?

MsSoCalCruiser

All of the Penthouses on Sirena have walk-in showers that replaced the full-sized bath/shower combos that all of the R ships have. It is so much safer as people were having a difficult time getting into and out of the bathtubs. I slipped once myself and banged my knee pretty badly. I was, fortunately, hanging on to a grab bar or it could have been far worse! When the other 3 sister ships go in for their next dry-dock, the Penthouses bathtubs will all be changed to be walk-in showers.

Hope they enjoy their cruise.

Billie

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Posted about this many times,,,now can only go on the large ships that have choice of both....boohoo...bye bye tubs.Not too many cruisers would pay MORE for the PH,,,just for tubs,,,but we did.Now will only go concierge on Marina,,etc. Think O will notice,,haha??

It's all very well for you ladies to voice a personal preference for bathing, but what about the dozens, ney hundreds of men and women who were stymied by those bathtubs because they just couldn't get their legs over the rim?

There isn't room in the R ship bathrooms for both, so isn't it better to include the facilities which serve the basic function for all?

Edited by JimandStan

It's all very well for you ladies to voice a personal preference for bathing, but what about the dozens, ney hundreds of men and women who were stymied by those bathtubs because they just couldn't get their legs over the rim?

There isn't room in the R ship bathrooms for both, so isn't it better to include the facilities which serve the basic function for all?

It's too bad they can't keep some of each. And let passengers choose which they want.

Yes, more choices, but it's all computerized these days, not like in the past when some poor soul was putting names on deck plan charts or however they kept track of reservations back in the old days.

Mark the deck plan with a T or S or such, as they do with extra bunks or accessible.

For some reason, it's when traveling that I really enjoy a nice soaking tub, and perhaps a nice read (or a nap!). I guess at home, there's always a feeling that there's something else that should be done, even though when we remodeled, we put in an extra deep tub.

GC

I enjoy a good bubble bath on a cruise, but the PH tubs sounded pretty dangerous without many grab bars. Maybe I'll have to put some bubbles in the hot tub! :')

We'll have a PH cabin on Insignia and I'm hoping the new shower will have a ledge that you can either sit on or put your foot up on to shave legs. Do the ones in Sirena have that?

It's too bad they can't keep some of each. And let passengers choose which they want.

Yes, more choices, but it's all computerized these days, not like in the past when some poor soul was putting names on deck plan charts or however they kept track of reservations back in the old days.

Mark the deck plan with a T or S or such, as they do with extra bunks or accessible.

GC

For better or worse, the goal across the entire hospitality industry, for decades now, has been to make accommodations as uniform as is practicable.

Not only does this make the units easier to sell by a less skilled workforce, but it also eliminates the complaints engendered by disgruntled passengers who may be envious of an amenity which is available to others, but not in their room.

The Cruise Critic Boards lull us into thinking that people do their research and know what they are buying but the truth is that a very large percentage step onto the ship blissfully unaware.

They will likely hear of the cabin differences from a table mate on the ship and will hold a grudge for the rest of the trip because they weren't TOLD the answer to a question which they never thought to ask in the first place.

No, better to keep everything as identical and antiseptic as possible. :halo::halo:

Edited by JimandStan

AZ was smart keeping some tubs. I spent a mouth on Oceania without a tub. The first hotel post cruise We Were late to dinner as I was in the tub just soaking a way.

At least the O ships I have a choice each day.

We are in a PH3 on Sirena week after next due to Cuba itinerary, an exception. But after that, only suites with both a tub and separate shower...

Same with hotels. Eliminate the tubs altogether and lose us as guests.

We are in a PH3 on Sirena week after next due to Cuba itinerary, an exception. But after that, only suites with both a tub and separate shower...

Same with hotels. Eliminate the tubs altogether and lose us as guests.

Same with me,,but I leave this Wed.on Sirena in PH3. Knew it didnt have tub,but figured I could manage in warm weather for 7 days.Only ship I could find with Cuba ports,,,oh well. That makes 2 of us,,,haha.

Earl Rosenbery wrote: “Tubs are inherently less safe than showers.”

That’s obvious. So what? We should ban bath tubs? If you are careful, bath tubs are just fine. If you don’t want one, get a cabin with a shower.

Commercial cruises are far less safe than commercial flying. Driving a car is far less safe than about any form of long-distance transportation. Life is inherently unsafe. No one comes out alive. Many of us are tired of the Nanny State mentality.

Why not also ban alcohol and cigars! No more Cubans! In California they banned foie gras for several years until the courts overturned the ban. Just because something doesn’t give you pleasure and you don’t like it doesn’t mean it should be prohibited.

Do whatever you want but otherwise, if you personally aren’t significantly harmed, let the rest of us do what we want to do. Give us the choice.

Edited by JPR

That’s obvious. So what? We should ban bath tubs? If you are careful, bath tubs are just fine. If you don’t want one, get a cabin with a shower.

Commercial cruises are far less safe than commercial flying. Driving a car is far less safe than about any form of long-distance transportation. Life is inherently unsafe. No one comes out alive. Many of us are tired of the Nanny State mentality.

I am in the tub contingent. I'm not a youngster, I have knee problems, but even when I was suffering from a newly torn meniscus back in November 2005, I was able to get in and out of the Jacyzzi tub-shower combo in the OS on Regatta without a problem. (No, it wasn't easy but it was do-able.) I really needed that tub for soaking trying to walk around, and I was on crutches at the time.

That doesn't mean I'm unsympathetic to people who DO have problems getting in and out of a tub. I'm going to be traveling next April with a long-time friend who lost the lower part of one leg to neuropathy several years ago. She cannot use a tub. My BIL suffered from a stroke that left him unable to use his left side, and he couldn't have used a tub either.

I had thought along with Geezer Couple about the possibility of keeping some tubs, others with showers, but anticipated Jim&Stan's comment about the difficulty of pleasing everyone that way. Computers can be great, but if you want to book a cruise and demand a shower, and they are all gone ... Now they ARE all gone. I mean the tubs, of course.

To answer the question about the availability of a stool for use in the shower, my friend and I have been assured that all you have to do is ask.

Mura

Excuse me. I simply stated a fact which you agreed was obvious. I didn't say tubs should be banned. Given a choice between the two......

Yes I have heard the same thing from many people. The PH category is being renovated to remove the tubs. My wife says no tub then no cruise for her. Safety is the thought here from Oceania. It is just too expensive for us to consider the big suites so we are going to have to reconsider what to do here about the lack of a tub option. Maybe look at another cruise line where we can afford the larger suite with both a tub and shower.

YEs, sadly I had to go to another cruiseline,,,Regent...to get my tub on next cruise to S.America.Could NOT go 17 days without the tub. So,it seems,some customers are INDEED changing lines.Having to pay more,,but will be worth it.Paid MORE for PH on R ships to begin with,,so just a little more and get Concierge there,,,but everything inc.,so guess you have to balance it all out.

Now looking at Crystal, Seabourn,and Silverseas,,,,,have tubs,,but need more formal clothes,,,yuck...why O,,did you do this????Was so happy taking O cruises every 6 mos.Now only the large O ships,,which limits me.