Current prices for wine on board (red, bottle only) please?

GeezerCouple

Can anyone post a copy of the prices for the bottles of red wine offered on board?

In case it matters, we'll be on the Riviera, late Nov/early Dec. this year.

We'd like to double check what is available and prices (assuming not sold out on a particular sailing) so we can decide how much (and what) we might want to try to bring on board.

[We are not interested in the wines by the glass, but thanks for asking ;) ]

The name of a nice wine store not too far from the port would be nice, and all the better if they might deliver to a hotel. (We'll be spending a night at the Miami Intercontinental by the dock area.)

Many thanks.

GC

I am not sure of the current prices but I posted some menus from last Dec it will give you an idea

i-92dV5Ph-L.jpg

i-hq9VHGZ-XL.jpg

You can walk to Whole foods not far from IC or there is a liquor store on 3rd street by Biscayne

I am sure others will chime in

Can anyone post a copy of the prices for the bottles of red wine offered on board?

In case it matters, we'll be on the Riviera, late Nov/early Dec. this year.

We'd like to double check what is available and prices (assuming not sold out on a particular sailing) so we can decide how much (and what) we might want to try to bring on board.

[We are not interested in the wines by the glass, but thanks for asking [emoji6] ]

The name of a nice wine store not too far from the port would be nice, and all the better if they might deliver to a hotel. (We'll be spending a night at the Miami Intercontinental by the dock area.)

Many thanks.

GC

Total Wines (a national chain with great selection and fair prices) is conveniently located near the south end of Miami Beach. In the past, they have had delivery service to hotels. For Miami, we pack winery collapsible cardboard carriers in our checked bags, use them to carry/store the wine on board and discard them at the end of our trip.b1e7210d1afc70c600c6be61d0369b36.jpg

As to what's on board, it varies and at prices from $40 to hundreds, figure you'll often be paying as much as a 300-400% markup over retail. Worse still, the overall selection is mediocre (and that's being kind). Somewhat related to this is the terribly limited knowledge/expertise of the wine stewards (please don't call them sommeliers). They've been schooled about what they sell. But, that's pretty much the extent of it.

Since Oceania does not enforce its CYA published bottle limit, you can bring on board as much as you want and replenish your stock at various ports.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Even when looking at the onboard wine list during a cruise, my experience has been that there is a pretty good chance that at least a couple of wines that I order during a two week cruise will be "no longer available." And that includes lower priced wines and wines by the glass.

Mary

Even when looking at the onboard wine list during a cruise, my experience has been that there is a pretty good chance that at least a couple of wines that I order during a two week cruise will be "no longer available." And that includes lower priced wines and wines by the glass.

Mary

Currently on Insignia- I have found a couple of values on the current wine list, for example, Joseph Phelps Cabernet listed at $125 sells for $80 or so at the winery and at Total Wine. Also I generally find the head Wine Steward or sommelier to be quite knowledgeable and on this Cruise I have found at least two wine stewards who are quite helpful.

Nevertheless they always seem to be out of something and the wine list is relatively short.

Robbie

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app

Currently on Insignia- I have found a couple of values on the current wine list, for example, Joseph Phelps Cabernet listed at $125 sells for $80 or so at the winery and at Total Wine. Also I generally find the head Wine Steward or sommelier to be quite knowledgeable and on this Cruise I have found at least two wine stewards who are quite helpful.

Nevertheless they always seem to be out of something and the wine list is relatively short.

Robbie

Winery price today is $60. If it's the same bottle on Insignia at $125, it is somewhat an unusual "bargain" in the sense that it is only 100% markup though still subject to the 18% gratuity. Of course, there may be one other factor, i.e., are they the same item (e.g., estate version).

In any case, Phelps Cab at a $125 restaurant price isn't too bad.

Along the same lines, one of the first things I do when we board is to see what's available in the current "7 bottle deal." There is the occasional great buy like Shramsberg Mirabelle (though most are $7-10 bottles selling at $40+/bottle in the package) and if that "loss leader" is decent (and it's a long cruise), I'll buy seven of them for the package.

On this Cruise they also have a page on the wine list called "Bin ends". These are wines at 30% off the regular wide list price. Not a spectacular deal but still a decent deal.

My point is that despite the grousing we see on this forum wine prices on Oceania are sometimes lower than restaurant prices for the same wines. Hard to really complain about that.

Now if you want to complain about the selection as Pinotlover often does there is a lot to talk about. There are only a couple of wines in each category that I consider both drinkable and affordable.

Now if you want to complain about the selection as Pinotlover often does there is a lot to talk about. There are only a couple of wines in each category that I consider both drinkable and affordable.

Why is that any kind of an issue when they allow free rein should you prefer to carry on what pleases you? :confused:

Why is that any kind of an issue when they allow free rein should you prefer to carry on what pleases you? :confused:

It can be some sort of an "issue," if you are embarking from a fly-in port and, logistically, can only arrange for/manage so much "carry-on" wine. If replenishment of your stock is not feasible in the ports to come on a long cruise, you do have to get your remaining wine from the ship.

It can be some sort of an "issue," if you are embarking from a fly-in port and, logistically, can only arrange for/manage so much "carry-on" wine. If replenishment of your stock is not feasible in the ports to come on a long cruise, you do have to get your remaining wine from the ship.

Methinks you are overstating the "issue".

We're not talking oxygen or penicillin.

If wine seems that essential , other issues may be afoot. :o

Edited by JimandStan

Methinks your overstating the "issue".

We're not talking oxygen or penicillin.

If wine seems that essential , other issues may be afoot. :o

I disagree.

And, for us, it's for both cultural and gastronomical reasons. We are from Northern California, actually living amid many appellations. And wine is a major part of our dining and entertaining experiences (not to mention my Italian heritage).

You may be picky about art (as are we). But we are equally picky about wine and food. Life is too short to drink crappy wine, especially at dinner on an Oceania ship.

I disagree.

And, for us, it's for both cultural and gastronomical reasons. We are from Northern California, actually living amid many appellations. And wine is a major part of our dining and entertaining experiences (not to mention my Italian heritage).

You may be picky about art (as are we). But we are equally picky about wine and food. Life is too short to drink crappy wine, especially at dinner on an Oceania ship.

We don't disagree at all. Their cellars should be stocked with wonderful wine to please every palate.

When they are, however, and Oceania is stocking it, storing it and carting it halfway around the World, they are entitled to charge at least as much as that bottle would cost in a fine land-based restaurant.

Some of these people are outraged if the mark up is higher than Costco.

We don't disagree at all. Their cellars should be stocked with wonderful wine to please every palate.

When they are, however, and Oceania is stocking it, storing it and carting it halfway around the World, they are entitled to charge at least as much as that bottle would cost in a fine land-based restaurant.

Some of these people are outraged if the mark up is higher than Costco.

A fairly decent restaurant in NYC or SF can easily get away with a 100-200% markup (depending on the quality of the food. The challenges posed by the ship might explain another 100% increase. But, if they're going to serve bad wine and charge yet another 100%, that's another story.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

What part are you missing about the solution to the problem posed by long cruises where initial carryon and replenishment at appropriate ports is not enough?
The same part that you seem to be missing about initial carry on.

We've literally had cases sent (shipped) to the ship without mention or incident. In fact, wine storage and service of imported bottles is one place where O truly shines. Completely effortless.

Send your stock to the Cellar when you arrive on the ship and anytime thereafter your inventory will be available to be served beautifully at the correct temperature and in the appropriate glassware (a pet peeve of mine).

A duplicate wine inventory for your Butler to work off will be a time saver, and will eventually create a shorthand between you.

Corkage kicks in outside your Stateroom yet they are happy to serve imported bottles anywhere you choose and as often as you choose until all of your bottles are consumed.

Honestly, you're looking for a problem where there is none. :D

As a frequent cruiser with Oceania we ordered several times the 7 bottles-package which is sold at an acceptable price. But there are problems with that package:

1) It may happen that when you order one of the bottles of your package on the first evening of the cruise, that the "sommelier" tells you that the bottle is not available because the wine had not yet been unpacked (very strange) ????

2) After a few days some of the wines of the package may be sold out and you have to choose another wine out of the list. Why can't they put aside or reserve the bottles bought in the package and refuse further orders once the available quantity has been sold out ??? The gestion of the stocks seems to be rather strange, since the bill that we have to sign when we drink each bottle, does not mention the correct wine (either another wine or no wine name at all).

3) Most of the so called sommeliers are not interested in serving bottles from a package. Some of the head cellar-masters have a very good expertise and know their job very well, but others do not.

In addition to the package they have a good choice of wines at different prices.

Why would wines from the package be a particular problem for any sommelier? Don’t understand the comment.

Re FlatbushFlyer’s comment about long cruises, generally you should be able to find good wines at liquor stores during stops along the way. Or use the shipboard credit on Insignia or the other very good reds on the wine list.

As a frequent cruiser with Oceania we ordered several times the 7 bottles-package which is sold at an acceptable price. But there are problems with that package:

1) It may happen that when you order one of the bottles of your package on the first evening of the cruise, that the "sommelier" tells you that the bottle is not available because the wine had not yet been unpacked (very strange) ????

2) After a few days some of the wines of the package may be sold out and you have to choose another wine out of the list. Why can't they put aside or reserve the bottles bought in the package and refuse further orders once the available quantity has been sold out ??? The gestion of the stocks seems to be rather strange, since the bill that we have to sign when we drink each bottle, does not mention the correct wine (either another wine or no wine name at all).

3) Most of the so called sommeliers are not interested in serving bottles from a package. Some of the head cellar-masters have a very good expertise and know their job very well, but others do not.

In addition to the package they have a good choice of wines at different prices.

maybe ask for the bottles you chose to be sent to your cabin then just take the bottle you want to have that night to dinner

I would agree they should set the bottles aside with your cabin number on them other wise why bother having the package with a specific list

Why would wines from the package be a particular problem for any sommelier? Don’t understand the comment.

Re FlatbushFlyer’s comment about long cruises, generally you should be able to find good wines at liquor stores during stops along the way. Or use the shipboard credit on Insignia or the other very good reds on the wine list.

Not so easy on certain routes. Try Australia to Papeete for example. Of course you can stock up at start and NZ if you stop there, but until you get to Tahiti it’s slim pickings.

Not so easy on certain routes. Try Australia to Papeete for example. Of course you can stock up at start and NZ if you stop there, but until you get to Tahiti it’s slim pickings.

I believe that the big picture here is that the wine connoisseur should be pleased that Oceania offers a generous wine and liquor policy which will enable them to enjoy their favorites with the full support of any ancillary services either required or preferred.

2ac672867baa3c825f44c0e31278af63--event-services-cocktails.jpg

For those occasions where the imported stuff runs short, or won't do, the ships' Cellars are there for convenience sake.

Unlike most Cruise Lines, Oceania wine service IS NOT the only game in town, so any shortfall, though vaguely inconvenient, need not be a disaster.

The same part that you seem to be missing about initial carry on.

We've literally had cases sent (shipped) to the ship without mention or incident. In fact, wine storage and service of imported bottles is one place where O truly shines. Completely effortless.

Send your stock to the Cellar when you arrive on the ship and anytime thereafter your inventory will be available to be served beautifully at the correct temperature and in the appropriate glassware (a pet peeve of mine).

A duplicate wine inventory for your Butler to work off will be a time saver, and will eventually create a shorthand between you.

Corkage kicks in outside your Stateroom yet they are happy to serve imported bottles anywhere you choose and as often as you choose until all of your bottles are consumed.

Honestly, you're looking for a problem where there is none. :D

Of course, one can go to the extreme of shipping a case or three to Tahiti (or any place else where retail wine selections and reasonable pricing may be limited) hoping that the package will arrive at (and be accepted) at the hotel or ship before your departure - even though both personal and commercial shipping of wine can be legally problematic in, at least, a dozen US states (e.g., Utah).

It's not that your solution won't work. Rather, it has limited applicability and can be a cumbersome (and expensive) undertaking.

Let's be realistic: The average passenger on Oceania is not sending wine to the ship. And the argument about storage by the wine stewards has one flaw: I trust you've had the experience of waiting (and waiting) for that stored bottle to appear.[emoji846][emoji45][emoji34][emoji35]

My preference remains doing some research on respected embarkation city retail sales locations having a good selection (particularly with a focus on their regional wines- e.g., Australian Wine Center on Pitt Street in Sydney) and picking up 6-12 bottles for our initial stock (easily transported in the lightweight collapsing cardboard winery carriers we bring with us in checked luggage). One can learn a lot about regional wine from that single encounter.

We then replenish the stock from similarly researched and easily accessible shops in port cities (some of the best and generally unavailable estate wines we've ever had were purchased when I excused myself from a ship's winery tour to have a conversation, and private sampling, in the tasting room about what's not on the tour menu).

Depending on itinerary, we may add a "seven bottle deal" purchase onboard. As aforementioned, it may be all the same wine or two. Likewise, itinerary determines whether we take the Prestige package. That said, it is rare (but not unheard of) for us to buy a single bottle now and then onboard. So, it would be nice to have a better selection (and consistently reasonable markups).

One other item: I trust that you may have attended some O wine tastings. We've done a bunch of them. And all I can say is that, what is served as representing exemplars of California's wine industry is usually nothing less than an embarrassment. And, as aforementioned, truly knowledgeable wine stewards (on any cruise ship) are few and far between.

So, as regards this question of personal vs ship's wine, the bottom line remains: different strokes for different folks.

I pretty much agree with Flatbush Flyer on the issue. In many embarkment ports wonderful local or regional wines can typically be found at very reasonable prices. I love ( it’s what I do) learning about and experiencing new wines, many of which are not available in the US. We are not “I’ll only drink KJ Chardonnay people”, although we know they abundantly exist. If one is going to places like Australia, NZ, anywhere in Southern Europe, bountiful selections of wines exist in the port cities. Embarking in HKG, we had earlier found the most incredible Supermarket with a wine selection, at extremely reasonable prices, that beats most locations in the US. It was easy to load up for that 15 day cruise past non Wine Areas ( VIetnam, Thailand) without missing a beat because of Oceania’s liberal policies.

On the flip side, there are difficult areas where you have to make do. Last summer we boarded in Copenhagen for a 21 day cruise around the Barent Seas into Russia and back to London. Retail prices in Denmark are outrageous, but they look paltry to the blistering taxed wine in Norway. We had taken about four bottles along, but that didn’t last long on a 21 day cruise. We had the Premium Drinks Package, but what happened was that by day 10-12, all the decent wines in the ships wine list had been exhausted! The ship was not restocking and only truly plonk was left. The ship didn’t restock until day 20! We were paying the extreme bottle prices just to have decent wines. All the package did was to give us a 15% discount on a wine marked up 150-200%. Even the medium priced wines, by the bottle, had been completely consumed by day 20!

So, a few deserts certainly exist! I’m afraid we’re headed to another one next summer going to Iceland and Greenland, but hopefully we can stock up in London beforehand. Options mostly exist and people just need to learn to take advantage of those opportunities as they exist.