Late flight on debarkation day

Misssmb

We have a 3pm flight out of Nice after being docked in Monte Carlo on Nov. 9th. I had originally booked the ship's transfer and my flights with them. (Of course I got stuck with a long flight! Live and learn to book my own next time. ) I was thinking of maybe canceling the transfer and looking into a half day tour in Nice where I can take my suitcases along with me. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to do? I do not want to sit at the airport for 6 hours before my long flight home. I looked on the FAQ on the Oceania website and looks like I can get my transfers refunded up until 3 days before.

The first thing that I would suggest is checking to see what other flights would work for you before changing anything.

You'll need to be at the Airport 2 to 3 hours early for Security clearance anyway, so the Oceania flight might not be such a bad choice.

Knowledge is power= never assume.

The first thing that I would suggest is checking to see what other flights would work for you before changing anything.

You'll need to be at the Airport 2 to 3 hours early for Security clearance anyway, so the Oceania flight might not be such a bad choice.

Knowledge is power= never assume.

Unfortunately the flights have already been ticketed. I didn't think too much about it until I started seeing other passengers say they had flights around 11am.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what to do? I do not want to sit at the airport for 6 hours before my long flight home.

Nice is one of our favorite towns on the Med. The drive between Monte Carlo and Nice is beautiful. Several places to stop and walk around. Downtown Nice at the beach has such a great vibe and friendly people and great to just walk around.

NCE (Nice airport) is a small airport without much to do there and would agree, total waste of time sitting there when so much to see just a few miles away. And showing up 3+ hours before flight is total overkill because of security concerns.

Suggest you get a private driver and explore a wonderful area around the Med.

Cheers,

John

I agree with LHT28 re: airport arrival times. If it is international flight the rules is generally 3 hours prior. I show up on that schedule and sometimes we are almost alone.But I would rather wait there an extra hour. I dont much enjoy the last hour killing time elsewhere anyway wondering if we should be leaving, repeatedly checking my watch. That just me.

Early check-in and luggage drop is quick and painless. Agree with AZJohn that some airports are less entertaining than others. We have lounge access at that airport so a little less painful. If it is domestic flight then 2 hours prior I think. And how much would you shave off of that to avoid some airport boredom? 30 minutes and show 1.5 hours prior? Even if you breeze through check-in etc, I've read if you dont follow their rules, show up late and the flight is fully booked you can be at the top of their "bump" list.

3 pm is indeed an awkward time, even later is better but as you wrote, it is done and six hours at the airport would feel like be an eternity to me even at one of the best.

This is a lovely area so I'll be another to pile on and suggest hiring a private transfer to take you on a half day tour and then airport drop off. While a little expensive for just two (we are doing similar so been pricing out options) it might not be more than what O is charging for the two of you and you could get so much more out of it.

The OP didn’t specifically specify what type of flight he was checking in for. At Nice, most airlines only allows check in 2 hours prior to flight time.

My recommendation is to get a tour to St. Paul and show up at the airport 2 hours prior.

The OP didn’t specifically specify what type of flight he was checking in for. At Nice, most airlines only allows check in 2 hours prior to flight time.

My recommendation is to get a tour to St. Paul and show up at the airport 2 hours prior.

We are checking in going to Newark but switching in Zurich first. So is that 2 hours?

Typically yes. The airlines only allow a 2 hr check in on intra Europe flight. At Nice, they have a guard at the roped in check in area, that only allows one to proceed to the check in counter at 2 hours pre flight time.

We had the same issue at LHR, no way to check luggage until two hours before flight. Then you don't know your gate until about an hour before your flight while you're waiting in the "holding pen" area.

So much for getting there 3 hours before an international flight.

some airports you need to be there 3 hrs others not so much

I think the smaller airports probably 2 hrs is fine

We got to AMS 3 hrs prior it took several check points before getting through to the secure side

Agree with all posts regarding check in not allowed until 2 hours before departures and then waiting until +1 to find out which gate to go to in Europe. No way you will be allowed to go through security before check in.

Enjoy what Nice can offer before going to airport.

Cheers,

John

Perhaps take the train from Monte Carlo to Nice; check your bags at the train station, and walk around town for awhile?

Thanks but we will have a bunch of luggage, so really don't want to drag it on a train. Just thought if we had a car to leave it in, we could see some sights before we had to check in at the airport.

We did this rather in the opposite direction last May -- stayed in Nice for a couple of days and then booked a tour that took us to Monte Carlo via Eze. We used Tour Azur (tourazur@tourazur.com). I don't know if they can do something that would help you, but perhaps they do! We had a lovely tour with them. In our case we had another couple boarding the ship who joined us.

You might search other agencies as well -- such as Viator. Pick up at the ship and delivery to the airport closer to the time.

Both options probably would mean foregoing the ship transfer.

Mura

Thanks but we will have a bunch of luggage, so really don't want to drag it on a train. Just thought if we had a car to leave it in, we could see some sights before we had to check in at the airport.

You could have a look on Trip advisor under things to do Nice

There are some private guides with 1/2 tours may work for you

My husband and I just returned from Lisbon to Rome on Riviera. We used 1388 Tours from Monte Carlo for a wonderful day tour of Saint-Paul-de-Vence, Nice and the surrounding area. They are based in Nice, and our guide was wonderful and extremely knowledgeable. A few hours is enough to see the beautiful old town, drive along the promenade, and enjoy a nice meal in a cafe before your flight. We disembarked in Rome and had another private tour operator pick us (and our luggage) up from the port. We did a 6 hour tour before being dropped off at the airport for our 6 p.m. flight. We've done this in other European cities as well... we just make sure we let the tour operator know that we have luggage (lots of it in our case!) so they know we need a van or other large vehicle.

My husband and I just returned from Lisbon to Rome on Riviera. We used 1388 Tours from Monte Carlo for a wonderful day tour of Saint-Paul-de-Vence, Nice and the surrounding area. They are based in Nice, and our guide was wonderful and extremely knowledgeable. A few hours is enough to see the beautiful old town, drive along the promenade, and enjoy a nice meal in a cafe before your flight. We disembarked in Rome and had another private tour operator pick us (and our luggage) up from the port. We did a 6 hour tour before being dropped off at the airport for our 6 p.m. flight. We've done this in other European cities as well... we just make sure we let the tour operator know that we have luggage (lots of it in our case!) so they know we need a van or other large vehicle.

Thank you so much! I just sent an inquiry to 1388 tours.