Doing Pacific Coastal... ports on own ideas

Looking for ideas on things to do in Santa Barbara, Long Beach????

Been there once before, would like to take a taxi and do a drive to see some sites on our own.. where should be tell the taxi to go?

We tried to walk ST Street in Santa Barbara last trip, my 80 yr old husband got tired we did not go far, he is not into organized tours. We saw the QUeen Mary last time Long Beach, not impressed.

doing research on my own have decided to go the old mission in Santa Barbara.... heard that Shoreline Village in Long Beach over run with homeless, so still looking for optons for Long Beach???

• 2 weeks later...

In Long Beach check out the Aquarium of the Pacific. Take the free Long Beach Passport Bus. There’s a busstop in the Port/Queen Mary parking lot. There’s a busstop in front of the aquarium.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The mission in Santa Barbara CA (I live just north of here) is one of my favorite.

Depending on how long you are in port...

If you have time and can get to Solvang, CA for a reasonable amount of money in an uber (you can check their website for what the fare would be), then you can go to a Danish Restaurant/Bakery, (danish cookies & pastries are pretty yummy), there are several museums and there is another one of the many missions in Solvang.

Hope that helps,

Roberta

Consider doing the trolley tour. It takes about an hour and a half if you don't get on and off. It costs about $20 and will be cheaper than a taxi. It stops at the Mission among many other sights. I highly recommend getting off at the Courthouse and taking the elevator to the top of the clock tower for a spectacular 360 degree view of Santa Barbara. The elevator ride is free. If you decide on the trolley, you can buy your tickets online and then get on at the Franciscan Inn stop, which is the closest pick up point to where the tender drops you off. Less walking for your husband. Cross Cabrillo Street where the tender drops you off and then go to your left to Bath Street (about a block). Walk up Bath Street about 1 1/2 blocks to the Franciscan Inn.

Consider doing the trolley tour. It takes about an hour and a half if you don't get on and off. It costs about $20 and will be cheaper than a taxi. It stops at the Mission among many other sights. I highly recommend getting off at the Courthouse and taking the elevator to the top of the clock tower for a spectacular 360 degree view of Santa Barbara. The elevator ride is free. If you decide on the trolley, you can buy your tickets online and then get on at the Franciscan Inn stop, which is the closest pick up point to where the tender drops you off. Less walking for your husband. Cross Cabrillo Street where the tender drops you off and then go to your left to Bath Street (about a block). Walk up Bath Street about 1 1/2 blocks to the Franciscan Inn.

This information is inaccurate. Tickets purchased online are not valid on cruise ship days, and tickets purchased at the Visitor Center do not come with the guarantee of a seat. This is the current policy.

https://www.sbtrolley.com/santa-barbara-cruiseship-tour-days.php

The Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O’Dell gives a glossed over version of the local tribes and the last woman left on the Channel Islands. She’s buried at the Santa Barbara Mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This information is inaccurate. Tickets purchased online are not valid on cruise ship days, and tickets purchased at the Visitor Center do not come with the guarantee of a seat. This is the current policy.

https://www.sbtrolley.com/santa-barbara-cruiseship-tour-days.php

Totally agree with this poster. Skip the trolley tour, they have made it into a hassle for cruise ship passengers. Take a taxi to the Mission and be sure to check out the clock tower view at the Courthouse!

• 2 months later...

The reason the trolley's online tickets are not accepted on cruise ship days is because the cruise ships offer a trolley excursion that is NOT HoHo....PLUS vendors offering excursions through the cruise ships generally are not permitted to book cruise ship passengers privately or directly.

This topic is kind of old (July), so I am not sure when the OP was sailing, but if State St was too much look at the Mission, The Presidio, SB City Hall and Lower Montecito Village. Any one of those would be sufficient and two of the might be doable.

SB has a great little zoo too, very close to the docking location.

For Long Beach, I'd Uber down to the Belmont Shore area for shopping and dining.

Edited by scottca075

• 1 month later...

We live in Long Beach and yes there are homeless around Shoreline area but good luck finding an urban city that does not.....I will say it's not like Portland or Seattle was.   One certainly feels safe walking anywhere and there are really great restaurants and entertainment all around there.  It also has a free shuttle that takes you over to Queen Mary and around all day into the night.  We do the "staycation" quite often here.   Santa Barbara also has the Ronald Reagan Ranch museum right on State street not far up from the pier easy walk and very interesting.