First Time NY port

Prof Peg

Am trying to determine if we can do this cruise.

MSC Meraviglia next Oct. (pier 90 I think). Too early to tell if MSC will have airport transportation, but...

Arriving at port should be okay. We are older and husband uses walker (loses races to turtles!).

My concern is debarkation. I’ve read that you have to go across the street to get transportation back to airport. Hubby on walker, 2 suitcases, 1 carry-on, purse/bag etc. — I don’t know if we’re gonna make it across the street.

Please tell me if I’m wrong in my thinking.

You would not be the first people with more luggage than they can handle easily... I would think the porters will help you all the way across the street. Get a porter again at the airport.

The porters are no longer permitted to take you across the street...unless something has changed again in the past couple of months.

MSC Meraviglia next Oct. (pier 90 I think). Too early to tell if MSC will have airport transportation, but...

Arriving at port should be okay. We are older and husband uses walker (loses races to turtles!).

My concern is debarkation. I’ve read that you have to go across the street to get transportation back to airport. Hubby on walker, 2 suitcases, 1 carry-on, purse/bag etc. — I don’t know if we’re gonna make it across the street.

I have sailed twice out of MCT, the last being in 2010. I grabbed a taxi both times from the terminal without crossing the street. Are taxis no longer allowed to pick up at the terminal? I am aware car services cannot.

I have sailed twice out of MCT, the last being in 2010. I grabbed a taxi both times from the terminal without crossing the street. Are taxis no longer allowed to pick up at the terminal? I am aware car services cannot.

Well, how they handle things at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal has changed about 20 times since 2010. ;)

Technically they're not allowed to pick up at the pier, although if you go back upstairs to the drop-off level you may be able to snag a taxi that's just dropped someone off.

Well, how they handle things at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal has changed about 20 times since 2010. ;)

Technically they're not allowed to pick up at the pier, although if you go back upstairs to the drop-off level you may be able to snag a taxi that's just dropped someone off.

20 times....yikes!

Glad I sail more frequently out of Bayonne. It is convenient for me and don't get me started on how Beautiful and Gorgeous it is!!!:eek:

I also lose races to turtles and have to walk across the street to take a car service. I hate that.

Just a thought. If your husband is disabled he should be abled to be accommodated. NYC is pretty strict about adhering to the ADA.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perhaps pretty strict about making privately owned businesses and facilities adhere, but no so much for government-owned facilities (The cruise terminal is a facility of the quasi-governmental agency NYCEDC.) . As I'm sure you know the subway and bus systems are substantially unusable to a large percentage of the disabled population and the city and state don't seem to care. I doubt they care too much about the cruise terminal either.

Perhaps pretty strict about making privately owned businesses and facilities adhere, but no so much for government-owned facilities (The cruise terminal is a facility of the quasi-governmental agency NYCEDC.) . As I'm sure you know the subway and bus systems are substantially unusable to a large percentage of the disabled population and the city and state don't seem to care. I doubt they care too much about the cruise terminal either.

Are you saying you know for a fact that disabled pax must cross 12 Avenue even if they order a disabled taxi?

Are you saying you know for a fact that disabled pax must cross 12 Avenue even if they order a disabled taxi?

No, I don't know that for a fact. I do know that the city and state while insisting on ADA compliance from private businesses has done next to nothing for decades to bring the city's public transportation system into anything remotely resembling ADA compliance. Why would I expect anything better from them at the cruise terminal ?

Have you disembarked from a cruise at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and had to get a taxi or be picked up by a car service in recent years? If you haven't you've missed a scene that resembles a cattle drive from the feed lot to the slaughterhouse as they attempt to herd everyone across 12th Ave. At one time you could ask a porter to take your baggage across the street but I haven't seen that being allowed for quite some time. That's why in recent years for a cruise of two weeks or less I now always drive in and park at the cruise terminal rather than take a car service. I used to do just the opposite...take a car service but I grew tired of the cattle drive.

No, I don't know that for a fact. I do know that the city and state while insisting on ADA compliance from private businesses has done next to nothing for decades to bring the city's public transportation system into anything remotely resembling ADA compliance. Why would I expect anything better from them at the cruise terminal ?

Have you disembarked from a cruise at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal and had to get a taxi or be picked up by a car service in recent years? If you haven't you've missed a scene that resembles a cattle drive from the feed lot to the slaughterhouse as they attempt to herd everyone across 12th Ave. At one time you could ask a porter to take your baggage across the street but I haven't seen that being allowed for quite some time. That's why in recent years for a cruise of two weeks or less I now always drive in and park at the cruise terminal rather than take a car service. I used to do just the opposite...take a car service but I grew tired of the cattle drive.

My suggestion was that the op investigate further. I can’t believe that those using wheelchairs and scooters and walkers are required to cross 12 Avenue. There needs to be accommodations made.

My suggestion was that the op investigate further. I can’t believe that those using wheelchairs and scooters and walkers are required to cross 12 Avenue. There needs to be accommodations made.

I hope they will make an accommodation. I'm just expressing my cynicism about the City of New York doing much of anything that makes sense. It took years and lawsuits to get the city to agree to comply with ADA by requiring more accessible taxis. Even after settlement of the lawsuit in late 2013 that program was only expanded from Manhattan to the outer boroughs this year and there are still far fewer wheelchair-friendly taxis than the 50% of the taxi fleet that will be required in 2020.

Edited by njhorseman

Hey OP is this for next year (2019?)

I will be at the Manhattan Cruise Pier in 28 days. I will be having my breakfast watching disembarkation of 2 ships before we board. Will watch for people needing assistance and how handled. Will come back and post an answer!

Hey OP is this for next year (2019?)

I will be at the Manhattan Cruise Pier in 28 days. I will be having my breakfast watching disembarkation of 2 ships before we board. Will watch for people needing assistance and how handled. Will come back and post an answer!

We were looking at MSC Meraviglia for the beginning of October, 2019. Easiest for us to fly to than Miami (we're over by Lake Ontario above Syracuse) and I really like the looks of the Canada/New England ports of call.