World Cruise tipping on HAL?

sandiego1

We are booked on the '19 WC and the standard gratuities are included in our package deal. We will tip for room service deliveries, etc. But what about a "bonus" tip for the cabin stewards, dining room stewards, and wine steward? In the past we have tipped each of them, in cash, on top of the standards amounts that are charged to our credit card. We have typically done 1-2 week cruises.

But what do on a 113 night cruise? For those of you that have done HAL World Cruises, can you please advise?

Thanks in advance.

I do about a dollar a day extra (I cruise solo) if they deserve it. We had a not so good dining room steward for half of this year's world cruise who did not get that. The one we had for the first half of the world cruise was excellent and he got more.

Our last WC (104 days) was similar in that the discretionary service charge was included in the base fare. We had the same cabin steward for the duration and he was very good. We left him US $100 and he was ecstatic. The MDR waiters were average, so if memory is correct they got a little less.

I also tipped above and beyond my included gratuities in my booking. Specific amounts, I do not recall (I sailed in 2008), but I feel that I am a generous tipper if the service warrants it. My dining room stewards and wine steward received an additional gratuity at the conclusion of each of the published segments. I included my table's Assistant Dining Room Manager because he deserved it. (He was more attentive than the DRM.)

My stateroom steward was having issues and eventually "jumped ship" when we were docked in Singapore. His service was below expectations to OK, but nothing more. I did offer him an additional gratuity, but not at the same amount as the DRM staff received. The stateroom steward who replaced him was moved from being Captain van Zaane's Steward. He did a very good job and he received a larger gratuity than did my original stateroom steward.

I also did, and do, offer a gratuity for Room Service: $1/service for a continental type breakfast; $2 for something more than that.

Then and now, I have always found in whatever venue the men and women are working to serve me, they are most pleased to receive whatever I offer them.

Thanks for the advice.

Scrapnana - did you tip $1/day per person (i.e $1 to cabin steward, $1 to assistant cabin steward, $1 to main waiter...)?

I did not have an assistant cabin steward but the regular one was excellent and got the extra tip. My assistant waiter got a $1/day because he was so good - main waiter was not.

• 1 year later...