Questions on Scandinavian-Baltic cruise.

I am in the beginning process of finding a cruise for August 2019. When I first started this our priority was to see the Scandinavian countries. However in doing my limited research we have found a cruise that we like: It is a Holland America 21 day cruise (Norwegian Fjords and Baltic Jewels) next August. Besides Norway, it goes to St Petersburg, Russia, Stockholm, Finland, Estomia, Germany, and Estonia.

I have searched Norwegian, Princess, Viking, Cunard, and Celebrity cruise lines and there don't seem to be a great selection of cruises to this area (if combining Norway and the Baltic.) I would appreciate any advice as to cruise lines or any other helpful information that anyone has to offer regarding cruising to this area.

Thank you.

I am in the beginning process of finding a cruise for August 2019. When I first started this our priority was to see the Scandinavian countries. However in doing my limited research we have found a cruise that we like: It is a Holland America 21 day cruise (Norwegian Fjords and Baltic Jewels) next August. Besides Norway, it goes to St Petersburg, Russia, Stockholm, Finland, Estomia, Germany, and Estonia.

I have searched Norwegian, Princess, Viking, Cunard, and Celebrity cruise lines and there don't seem to be a great selection of cruises to this area (if combining Norway and the Baltic.) I would appreciate any advice as to cruise lines or any other helpful information that anyone has to offer regarding cruising to this area.

Thank you.

Dr. Alaok, we just did the Baltics and Keil Canal in June on Holland's Prinsendam, a small ship with <900 passengers. Because of its size it could do the Canal and visit small ports, like Visby and Turku. With Tallinn, Estonia, they became my favorite spots. Size matters!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thank you.

We are doing a 14 day cruise starting 24 August with MSC starting with 7 days Baltics Copenhagen Stockholm St Petersburg then Tallinn. After this the ship goes on a 7 day Norwegian Fjords cruise. MSC usually have one or two ships doing this loop during the period April to September.

Sent from my SM-A320Y using Tapatalk

Have you thought of doing two shorter cruises back to back, so you just stay in the same cabin on a ship, perhaps sailing out of a Baltic port. For that you could just search particular cruiselines/ships you like and peruse the schedule for that season. It would give you a lot more choice of cruises and destination ports.

Dr. Alaok, we just did the Baltics and Keil Canal in June on Holland's Prinsendam, a small ship with <900 passengers. Because of its size it could do the Canal and visit small ports, like Visby and Turku. With Tallinn, Estonia, they became my favorite spots. Size matters!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Not sure why half my message disappeared. I wanted to say the Prinsendam is <900 passengers, small, so it could do the Keil Canal and get into some smaller ports like Visby and Turku. I find those small ports most interesting and easier to appreciate the unique culture than big cities. Size matters! It also matters in time it takes to get off the boat. A friend cruised the Baltic region on Norwegian and was not happy with the limitations caused by the big ship.

Sent from my P027 using Forums mobile app

Just got back from Zuiderdam cruise. The stops were good but good grief it was hot. I felt like we would have enjoyed the ports more had the temps been better. 92 degrees in Stockholm for example. The Germany stops were throw a ways. By the last stop, Kiel, lots of people didn't get off or just wandered around the town for an hour or two. I have a new appreciation for air conditioning after the trip!

Just got back from Zuiderdam cruise. The stops were good but good grief it was hot. I felt like we would have enjoyed the ports more had the temps been better. 92 degrees in Stockholm for example. The Germany stops were throw a ways. By the last stop, Kiel, lots of people didn't get off or just wandered around the town for an hour or two. I have a new appreciation for air conditioning after the trip!

Have seen several stories on the TV about the long string of record temps Europe is experiencing. We were in Germany and Austria in late May, early June. It was 80s most days...above average then as well.

Have seen several stories on the TV about the long string of record temps Europe is experiencing. We were in Germany and Austria in late May, early June. It was 80s most days...above average then as well.

In Sweden there have been an ongoing heatwave almost non-stop since early May which have caused

droughts, forest fires and huge problems for farmers/agricultural business.

yes just absurdly hot, which is not the norm I take it. I also could have done without our Germany stop, it seemed like a filler

yes just absurdly hot, which is not the norm I take it. I also could have done without our Germany stop, it seemed like a filler

Just read your review and worried about the heat! Wonder if this heat wave will let up??? Trying to pack for our cruise on August 27...extended forecast says temps should get more in normal range of 70's during day and 50-60 at night. I sure hope so! :cool:

Just read your review and worried about the heat! Wonder if this heat wave will let up??? Trying to pack for our cruise on August 27...extended forecast says temps should get more in normal range of 70's during day and 50-60 at night. I sure hope so! :cool:

I packed totally wrong. Brought light jackets for me and kids and raincoats for all. Never used. I only had one pr of shorts, everyone else only 2. Most people were dressed for the Caribbean. We brought enough clothes to wear with some repetition til bulk laundry day, but everything was so gross by then.

Just keep watching the weather, it did look like a cooling trend was coming...

I'm sure all of you read these boards before cruising and one thing what is a staple of Baltic cruising is that the weather is unpredictable--hot when it should be cool and cool when you would think it would be hot.

We did a road trip to Vermont mid June and the temps were in the mid to upper 90's every day and resort had no AC as it 'doesn't get THAT hot in Vermont'. OK, live and learn.

Cheers

Len

I packed totally wrong. Brought light jackets for me and kids and raincoats for all. Never used. I only had one pr of shorts, everyone else only 2. Most people were dressed for the Caribbean. We brought enough clothes to wear with some repetition til bulk laundry day, but everything was so gross by then.

Just keep watching the weather, it did look like a cooling trend was coming...

Haha, we were on the same cruise. We also brought jackets, pullovers, and raincoats that were never used. But we had plenty of shorts. Every day was hot and we sweat a lot, and ended up pretty gamey at the end of each day. But we left our homes in Texas where it was 20-30 degrees F warmer (they were seeing 110F), so we still felt like we were making out very nicely in the Baltics! The air conditioning on the NCL Breakaway worked awesomely, and the Baltic breezes while cruising were amazing also.

I can't say enough good things about Nike Dri-Fit clothing. It wicks sweat very well, and somehow still doesn't get as stinky as other fabrics. If it gets wet when raining, it dries very quickly. Also, if you need to sink wash, it dries quickly. It has convinced me to buy as much of it as possible for shirts, shorts, underwear, socks, etc. Yes, I love it! I haven't had as much success with other similar brands.

:D

Haha, we were on the same cruise. We also brought jackets, pullovers, and raincoats that were never used. But we had plenty of shorts. Every day was hot and we sweat a lot, and ended up pretty gamey at the end of each day. But we left our homes in Texas where it was 20-30 degrees F warmer (they were seeing 110F), so we still felt like we were making out very nicely in the Baltics! The air conditioning on the NCL Breakaway worked awesomely, and the Baltic breezes while cruising were amazing also.

I can't say enough good things about Nike Dri-Fit clothing. It wicks sweat very well, and somehow still doesn't get as stinky as other fabrics. If it gets wet when raining, it dries very quickly. Also, if you need to sink wash, it dries quickly. It has convinced me to buy as much of it as possible for shirts, shorts, underwear, socks, etc. Yes, I love it! I haven't had as much success with other similar brands.

Oh from TX! the weather must have felt downright comfy to you. We’re amateurs from Northern CA who only just got A/C installed last year! :D

we were on same cruise as you but embarked in Warnemunde so as to spend a few days in Berlin prior to cruise

The purpose of Warnemunde is to give opportunity for cruisers to experience a day in Berlin and there will have been many people on either ships tours on a chartered train or private tours by bus

cruisers who choose not to do the long day trip to Berlin have reported that Warnemunde is a pretty seaside town for a day at the beach

other popular things to do in the area are friends of Dave walking tours and the Molli train

Kitty lover CA you missed out in Germany! Big time. Just posted our travels in another tread. Warnemunde to Rostock to Schwerin to Wismar to Rostock and back to Warnemunde to spend time on the beach and dip our toes in the water the ship has been riding on. Not sure were you were but this was a highlight and Warnemunde was a sleeper surprise on our cruise. And it HOT , HOT , HOT so the water was Just Right! Yes a Cute Seaside town with a cool relaxed vibe!

Kitty lover CA you missed out in Germany! Big time. Just posted our travels in another tread. Warnemunde to Rostock to Schwerin to Wismar to Rostock and back to Warnemunde to spend time on the beach and dip our toes in the water the ship has been riding on. Not sure were you were but this was a highlight and Warnemunde was a sleeper surprise on our cruise. And it HOT , HOT , HOT so the water was Just Right! Yes a Cute Seaside town with a cool relaxed vibe!

We went on the FoD tour and enjoyed it and saw the highlights of the region. Just wasn’t my favorite stop

Thank you.

I am doing a 14 night RCCL on 7/7/19 that includes 2 stops in Norway. Not sure if that is enough of Norway for you. Includes all the ports you mentioned above except Germany, plus 2 stops in Denmark. It starts/ends in Southampton UK.