Phone reception during Norwegian Fjord cruises

I am off on a Norwegian fjord cruise very soon. Ideally I would like to be able to contact a family member (who is in hospital) while I am away. Does anyone happen to know what mobile phone reception is like when in the ports?

just back from such a cruise and had international access thru my provider Ver'

IN THE PORTS I was always able to connect to a provider and had good voice, data and msg service ....

ports were: Lofoten, Honningsvag / Nordkapp, Tromsø, Molde, Geiranger, Bergen, Flam and Oslo

ships satellite based internet is a different story as it needs line of site to a satellite and the angle to the bird is LOW in the northern lat's

Thanks - that’s really helpful.

I’m from the U.K. so should be able to call & access the internet etc at my normal rate within Norway (until we Brexit at least!). I was just worried about reception with so many mountains.

My dad used to be in the navy so is being left as the emergency contact in case I need to be contacted while we’re at sea. He says he knows how to contact ships!

And I’m glad he knows as it sounds terribly complicated to me :D (hopefully won’t need to - would only be for a major emergency).

I do feel a lot better knowing I will be able to call in - it has been worrying me. Thank you.

Towns all have good reception and typically 4G cellular data. You may have reduced coverage during sail-ins and sail-outs in some of the long fjords, since they are quite rural areas with fewer cell towers.

The ship’s satellite connection has typically worked up most of the coast, but if you go all the way up to Svalbard, it’s common to lose it entirely for a day or so due to the extreme latitude.