Akureyri 10-7

envy4u

We were just in Akureyri June 2nd on our port stop. We had an amazing tour booked with some from our roll call with "Traveling Vikings".

I would not depend on booking at the port..this is a port you need to have a private tour locked in...don't chance it.

Depending on what you want to see and do akureyrei could very well be done on your own. It has an amazing Botanical Garden considering it's latitude and an indoor pool complex that is filled with naturally heated water for a great do-what-the-locals-do experience.

If you want to see some of the countryside, then yes definitely book a local Excursion. If you decide to go to the pool complex, be sure to read up about the pool and locker room etiquette before you go.

I know you say you don’t do ship tours, however I wouldn’t rule them out in this port. We mostly do private tours, but here we did the ‘Jewels of the North’ tour and really enjoyed it. It was an excellent mix of sights with a light lunch included. It is worth getting out of Akureyri to see the amazing waterfalls, rock formations and geothermal fields. The scenery is really what Iceland is all about!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were just in Akureyri June 2nd on our port stop. We had an amazing tour booked with some from our roll call with "Traveling Vikings".

I would not depend on booking at the port..this is a port you need to have a private tour locked in...don't chance it.

Happy to hear this, as we have a tour with the Traveling Viking later this month!

And I agree, if you are looking for a tour, book in advance. This is not the Caribbean.

We recently arrived in Akureyri on a cruise and pre booked a tour with FAB tours. They were excellent and there were 8 of us on a 16 seat mini bus. Our guide took us to some beautiful places and we saw more than those who did the ship tour as we were kept to strict times. He then gave us the choice to be dropped in the town so we could walk the short distance to the ship. We much preferred this tour to the Golden Circle.

Oh no. Not Traveling Viking! They were the whole reason we (thankfully) ended up on Saga tours, after Traveling Viking never showed up at the dock, leaving us and another couple stranded. When I wrote my review of the experience (actually the only bad review I have ever made of anyone in all these years), Traveling Vikings response was a huge fabrication, claiming they had contacted us about the change, although neither we, nor that other couple ever heard a word. Check tripadvisor reviews, we weren't the only folks that they pulled this stunt.

You might also consider renting a car and exploring on your own. Roads are excellent and well-marked. With a decent map or GPS, you can see everything for much less than a tour. Best of all, you are not tied down to a schedule, so you can stay longer at places you enjoy and abbreviate your stops at less interesting spots. I can't recall who we rented from, but they delivered a car and met us at the port.

Oh no. Not Traveling Viking! They were the whole reason we (thankfully) ended up on Saga tours, after Traveling Viking never showed up at the dock, leaving us and another couple stranded. When I wrote my review of the experience (actually the only bad review I have ever made of anyone in all these years), Traveling Vikings response was a huge fabrication, claiming they had contacted us about the change, although neither we, nor that other couple ever heard a word. Check tripadvisor reviews, we weren't the only folks that they pulled this stunt.

So sorry you had this bad experience with Traveling Vikings.....so different than ours was this past June. They had two bus's waiting for us.....luckily we got the bus that had less people on it. Our tour was amazing...our guide was the one that was used for filming locations for Game of Thrones. He took us down into the cave that was really used not the one nearby by that everyone else thought had been. He was just AWESOME !!!!