HAL bonus Explorer 4 package

3Boogity

We don't understand how HAL can offer you a price for a cruise and say that the Explorer 4 package is included? If you aren't a drinker you can get a cheaper price for the cruise. No deal here as you are paying for your Explorer 4 package. Only going on the next cruise to see if HAL has smartened up. Booked a February 2018 cruise on the Koningsdam when we were aboard a Feb 2017 cruise aboard the Rotterdam. 2 months later HAL told us that itinerary was cancelled. Found out that HAL found it more profitable to let someone charter the ship for 7 days and basically kick us off the ship. We had booked a 21 day cruise so don't understand how HAL found it more profitable to change itinerary to three 7 day cruises. We skipped doing a cruise this year because of being treated so badly by HAL. DW retires in 12 months and if HAL messes up our next cruise then we will look at doing other things in our retirement.

You can book with or without the Explore4 (not Explorer 4) promotion. In our case, we rebooked when it started as it was cheaper for us than to keep our original booking and purchase beverage packages and PG dinners.

As for charters, which are common across the cruise industry, they are less work and more profitable for HAL and the other lines. HAL is a business, and given the opportunity to charter a ship for higher profits will always do so. Shareholders are quite happy with this approach, and seasoned cruisers understand that it's a possibility any time that they book well in advance, particularly with Caribbean cruises as in your case.

As others have suggested, if you are unhappy with HAL, try a different cruise line. Don't be surprised, however, if you find yourself facing the same issues.

I think the only time you get a deal on any cruise line is when a cruise doesn't sell out and they need to fill cabins. I've never experienced that because we've always booked very early. On HAL we've booked 3 cruises so far and all of them were offering either Ready Set Sail or Explore 4. Our PCC directed us away from those and gave us a much better price. He knew we wouldn't use some of the OBC or drink enough to make it worth it. I appreciate that.

I've talked with some of our passengers who told us of great last minute deals but I always got the impression that they were long time cruisers who could travel at the drop of the hat. Some told me they only fill the cabins so that the crew get the gratuities.

I always tell my wife that nothing in life is free and I always look at good deals with a bit of suspicion.