Luggage Direct question

JeanieCM

We are thinking of using the Luggage Direct option in Fort Lauderdale. I know that gives us the option of disembarking early. But is that really an option or a necessity? Can we stay on board & disembark with another group, as long as that group's bus gets us to the airport in plenty of time for our flight?

Technically you are to disembark with the color of your tag. The reason is if customs picks your bag to check and your not there it will be most uncomfortable. I found this out 3 yrs ago coming back o FLL after a 21 day cruise. We stayed on ship about 2 hours after our color tag / time was called. I think we were suppose to disembark at 7:45- 8:15.

Not only was our bag Not taken to airport by Luggage Direct but every one of our bags , carry on included were gone thru by customs!

This took 1.5 hrs. The customs officer said he could revoke both of our global entry cards for not following the procedures.

I can assure you that we will never do that again!

Thanks so much! The airport people at Fort Lauderdale were helpful & efficient with checking our luggage & obtaining our boarding passes when we were there in January. I think we'll save ourselves the potential worry with Luggage Direct. Won't be a big thing to lug our larger suitcase that short distance & we'll even save a few bucks. :)

Thank you for that last post. I’ll never considering doing that again....never have, now never will!

Check the Luggage Direct website and/or call them. I did recently to determine if I could use the service from Montreal to Knoxville. They ONLY service the United States!!! I have used them successfully within the United States. Good luck!

Thank you for that last post. I’ll never considering doing that again....never have, now never will!

Please see my reply below about Luggage Direct only used WITHIN the United States.

I have used luggage direct twice because of the purported convenienc and had poor experiences both times. The first time I was “randomly selected” for a customs stop as I was leaving the ship. The HAL reps said wasn’t I lucky I didn’t have to wait in the regular customs line but I have global entry so I never have to wait anyway. It took them an hour to clear me and my bags, mostly spent in a small, stuffy waiting room.

The second time was even worse. I was again randomly selected and the review and scan took less time but when I landed at my home city, my bags were not on the plane. I filed a claim with the airline but turns out my bag was never taken from customs area by the luggage transit company to the airport. Three days later HAL called and said they found my luggage and would fedex it to me since it was still at the port. They blamed the transit company. The transit company checked their records and said they had never scanned in my bag and never touched it. That made sense since my bag was still at the port.

When my bag arrived 5 days later, shoes, a bathing suit (brand new for the cruise that fit me perfectly so you know what a loss that was) and a sweater were missing from my bag. I complained to HAL and they said there was nothing they could do. The $25 for the luggage service cost me time, replacement of items that were in my bag that I needed for those 5 days and about $200 in clothing. I would never use the service again and can not recommend it. Both times I used it were at Ft. Lauderdale. Maybe it works better at other locations.