Umbrellas

Vict0riann

Our PCC called yesterday to wish us a bon voyage, and she mentioned that 4- and 5- star mariners are entitled to get a (loaner) umbrella on board. I have never heard that, only ever got one when we were in a suite, and I CANNOT find out on the new website. I am slowly learning my way around the website, but I cannot find the spot where they list the perks of the different levels. I really don't think I ever saw anywhere that said we could get an umbrella. Anyone know for sure?

(Going to Alaska, I have a feeling we may need one!)

No. Call the Mariner Club. Or ask at the Front Desk once you're on the ship. I'd pack a Tote's umbrella just in case. Even in the Caribbean, I take an umbrella and use it to keep the sun off my face when walking around. But I never thought to ask if 4-5 star get this perk.

Once you find out, would you please come back and post? Thanks. Have a lovely voyage with/or without the umbrella.

Our PCC called yesterday to wish us a bon voyage, and she mentioned that 4- and 5- star mariners are entitled to get a (loaner) umbrella on board. I have never heard that, only ever got one when we were in a suite, and I CANNOT find out on the new website. I am slowly learning my way around the website, but I cannot find the spot where they list the perks of the different levels. I really don't think I ever saw anywhere that said we could get an umbrella. Anyone know for sure?

(Going to Alaska, I have a feeling we may need one!)

I've never heard of loaner umbrellas as something for 4 star mariners. While I've been on a bunch of HAL Alaska cruises, I'm still only 3 star.

Here's the link to the Mariner Society benefits (I found it under Already Booked/Mariner Society). Hope this helps.

Thanks, all!:D I see no mention of umbrellas in the Mariner perks, either. I will ask on board. We will definitely pack our small folding umbrellas - which are really rather flimsy and occasionally blow inside out, but they do their best! Also lots of waterproof stuff...

I was just looking at photos of our Alaska cruise a couple of years ago, and realized I wore my ear muffs, gloves, etc., even in June! So I will have to pack warmer, as we are going as far as Anchorage, and may even have a chance to see the aurora borealis late at night!

I've been on five HAL Alaska cruises. Most were 7 day R/T in May or September, but one 14 day R/T in July.

Over all those cruises, I think I can recall two days where it drizzled while I was in port. On most of the cruises I got a mild sunburn, because I thought "I'm in rain forest. I don't need to bring sunscreen."

So if I were going on another Alaska cruise, I wouldn't worry about an umbrella.

The Rotterdam in Europe used to have huge garage pails of umbrellas (strong, large) at the gangway. Certainly cam in handy in Lisbon and the day-long downpour!

So, some ships might, but it certainly isn't a Mariner reward. I wonder if you book through CPl.... on the island? They should know better.

Have a great trip to the Great land!!

The umbrellas in the Neptune and Signature are big ones.

We pack our own small totes which we prefer.

that is my experience. we always have binoculars and umbrellas in our suites.... they are handy for the ship and balcony, but as others stated, in this thread and many other threads. we find our smaller umbrella and binoculars more convenient for on shore .. I always pack a rain parka and seldom really need to deploy the umbrella. have a great trip.

Thanks for all the helpful advice. My motto is "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it!" I'm packing umbrella, binocs and long johns! :D

Thanks, catl331, I'm excited about the aurora! I guess we have a good chance for September 3, if the skies are clear.

What class cabin? Was that slanted bulkhead facing forward? I’d like to see other pictures.

It was a DA (cabin 6102). It and the DA next door (6100) were much smaller than the normal DA cabins as well as having fewer/smaller closets. I wrote on my evaluation that I did not think either one should be DA cabins because of the small size, the closet space (I don't think any cabin on Amsterdam had less), and the fact that front facing cabins are not popular with many people.

Here is the page from my blog with cabin pictures - https://2018halgwv.blogspot.com/2018/01/sail-away-day-i-had-hardtime-getting-to.html.

Ann - sorry for hijacking your thread!

Four weeks ago there were big umbrellas in our stateroom on the Koningsdam. In our first interior stateroom underneath the Queenslounge (red flag) they were there. Fortunately they moved us to navigation deck and no big umbrellas in there. At first I thought the umbrella was a Koningsdam thing but it also could have been a Mariner thing since it was our first cruise as 4 stars Mariners.

On the Amsterdam I had one in my closet when I boarded. (And yes, those miniscule closets were all I had.)

43213994195_8c8eddea69_c.jpg

Wow, Kathi, was that for the World Cruise?! Not a lot of storage space.

LOL :D Hijack is fine with me, it's very interesting, but if it was the WC, that umbrella might have been part of it?

I will ask at the Front Desk about the umbrella as being a "star" perk.

Wow, Kathi, was that for the World Cruise?! Not a lot of storage space.

LOL :D Hijack is fine with me, it's very interesting, but if it was the WC, that umbrella might have been part of it?

I will ask at the Front Desk about the umbrella as being a "star" perk.

I had to buy some wire hangers because you couldn't fit much in with those big wooden one.;)

It might have been a world cruise thing but there is a picture from Roy on the Prinsendam that had an umbrella in the closet. It definitely was not for a mariner perk because I was only 2 stars before the world cruise.